Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I like it! I see an LBA in your future!
Haha again, thanks Mark 😁📷

10-03-2018, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, use what you have for a little while and see how things work. Then figure out what you can't do with your current setup.
You'll figure out what you want to do in a while. Then you can start looking for solutions. There's no need to rush, and remember the used marketplace here is full of good bargains if you are patient.
10-03-2018, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! the K-5 was my first DSLR also. To reinforce what has been written above, the best thing you can do is spend time learning these things:

1. The relationship of Shutter, Aperture, and ISO and how each affects the other, and the picture as a whole. IT's actually very simple, and if you pay attention to each of those settings as you practice, you will quickly understand.
2. Learn how the K-5 functions , play with it and get used to holding it and making adjustments to the dials and focusing the lens. Muscle memory and a good eye will make for better, quicker technique, especially for sports. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
3. Pick one lens, use only that lens for whatever amount of time you have to practice that day. Learning it's strengths and weaknesses will pay off. The Single In challenge, for example, encourages the participants to use the same lens every day for a month. After 30 days, I have gotten a real feel for the lens in various conditions. It also keeps me from rushing out to by new lenses (well, a little slower, anyway)
4. Many photographers are good observers and that helps us pre-compose the shot in our minds, and encourages us to wait for the right moment for the shutter to release. Take the time to think about what you are seeing, why it interests you, and how you might best capture it. Then compose the picture in your camera, check your settings and take the shot and see how it came out. IF you do this from the beginning, you are less likely to take 100 shots in hopes of getting one good one, and more likely to get better shots with fewer attempts.

I look forward to seeing your photographs.
10-03-2018, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome! the K-5 was my first DSLR also. To reinforce what has been written above, the best thing you can do is spend time learning these things:

1. The relationship of Shutter, Aperture, and ISO and how each affects the other, and the picture as a whole. IT's actually very simple, and if you pay attention to each of those settings as you practice, you will quickly understand.
2. Learn how the K-5 functions , play with it and get used to holding it and making adjustments to the dials and focusing the lens. Muscle memory and a good eye will make for better, quicker technique, especially for sports. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
3. Pick one lens, use only that lens for whatever amount of time you have to practice that day. Learning it's strengths and weaknesses will pay off. The Single In challenge, for example, encourages the participants to use the same lens every day for a month. After 30 days, I have gotten a real feel for the lens in various conditions. It also keeps me from rushing out to by new lenses (well, a little slower, anyway)
4. Many photographers are good observers and that helps us pre-compose the shot in our minds, and encourages us to wait for the right moment for the shutter to release. Take the time to think about what you are seeing, why it interests you, and how you might best capture it. Then compose the picture in your camera, check your settings and take the shot and see how it came out. IF you do this from the beginning, you are less likely to take 100 shots in hopes of getting one good one, and more likely to get better shots with fewer attempts.

I look forward to seeing your photographs.
Thanks for the advice. I've been using mainly the 17-50mm the last couple of days. I also work 30 ft off the sea and small beach so I've been down every opportunity playing about with the settings. Played about with the iso yesterday taking the same photo at different setting so I've nearly got my head around that.

10-04-2018, 05:38 AM   #35

Original Poster
Apologies, another question. I found a silver ring which im assuning is an adaptor for a different brand of lens. Would using a different brand effect the integrity of the picture?
10-04-2018, 05:47 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gewi6410 Quote
Apologies, another question. I found a silver ring which im assuning is an adaptor for a different brand of lens. Would using a different brand effect the integrity of the picture?
That depends. If the adapter has a lens element, it's usually going to cause at least some degradation of the image. That said, it might not be noticeable unless you zoom all the way in (pixel-peep). If the lens is something special or interesting it could be nice.

If it's an adapter for an M42 or M39 lens it should not require the internal lens elements and merely allows you to mount the old lens on a new Pentax. Same with a T-mount adapter. Be careful, know what you're mounting to the lens and camera to make sure nothing gets stuck!
10-04-2018, 06:18 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
That depends. If the adapter has a lens element, it's usually going to cause at least some degradation of the image. That said, it might not be noticeable unless you zoom all the way in (pixel-peep). If the lens is something special or interesting it could be nice.

If it's an adapter for an M42 or M39 lens it should not require the internal lens elements and merely allows you to mount the old lens on a new Pentax. Same with a T-mount adapter. Be careful, know what you're mounting to the lens and camera to make sure nothing gets stuck!
Just done a bit of research online. Its an adaptor for an M42 lens. I think my father in law had quite a few m42 lenses. Are they worth playing about with?

10-04-2018, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just done a bit of research online. Its an adaptor for an M42 lens. I think my father in law had quite a few m42 lenses. Are they worth playing about with?
Yes, some of them. Do a bit of reading here, there's quite a fan club. It's fully manual though, so it's more work.

On the plus side, nothing will teach you about exposure like a fully manual lens! Pentax gives you the tools for manual work but modern viewfinders aren't as good for manual focus - it will take time.

M42 will open you to a whole range of old and often odd lenses which look bizarre on modern bodies! Some people enjoy that kind of thing.
10-04-2018, 06:38 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yes, some of them. Do a bit of reading here, there's quite a fan club. It's fully manual though, so it's more work.

On the plus side, nothing will teach you about exposure like a fully manual lens! Pentax gives you the tools for manual work but modern viewfinders aren't as good for manual focus - it will take time.

M42 will open you to a whole range of old and often odd lenses which look bizarre on modern bodies! Some people enjoy that kind of thing.
I'll stick with what i have for the time being then maybe after Christmas when I'm more comfortable I'll start looking at the M42 lenses.
10-04-2018, 01:35 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, most definitely. However, the process for using them is a bit different. I would recommend you latch on to those but set them aside for now. Learning to use M42 glass at this point will (IMHO) just confuse you. But many of them are excellent lenses.

10-06-2018, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #41

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Pick one lens, use only that lens for whatever amount of time you have to practice that day. Learning it's strengths and weaknesses will pay off. The Single In challenge, for example, encourages the participants to use the same lens every day for a month. After 30 days, I have gotten a real feel for the lens in various conditions. It also keeps me from rushing out to by new lenses (well, a little slower, anyway)
Most importantly, it will give you a better understanding of what you actually need when you decide to buy your next lens.
10-10-2018, 02:35 AM   #42

Original Poster
Good morning. Is there a way to wirelessly send photos from my k5 to mobile phone? I have been looking at the kingston mobilelite g3 but not sure it would do the job. Cheers.
10-10-2018, 03:34 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good morning. Is there a way to wirelessly send photos from my k5 to mobile phone? I have been looking at the kingston mobilelite g3 but not sure it would do the job. Cheers.
The O-FC1 FluCard wifi card is not compatible with Pentax K-5 cameras, only K-3 and newer. There are some third party systems that "may" work, such as the Toshiba Flash Air. Toshiba - Wireless SD Cards - FlashAir? W-04

But, the last time such systems were discussed here, some members seemed to be experiencing problems to get it to work correctly.
See, for instance, Best wifi SD to use - PentaxForums.com
10-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As mentioned, no direct way.
You might be better off with a USB card reader you can attach to the phone. Likely this will be faster.
10-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #45

Photos: Albums
The better way would be to get an USB OTG adapter for your phone which should treat your camera as an external SD card reader.