Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #1

Pentax k5 advice

Hi everyone, greetings from Northern Ireland. I've just picked up a k5 and a few different lenses. Just wondering what sort of lens would I need to take photos at football (soccer) games? Also for landscapes. I'm a total novice so please dumb it down for me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FRD-L09  Photo 
09-30-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you list the lenses you have there? I suspect the three at front are all Sigmas, and is the one immediately in front of the K5 a Pentax lens? Whatever the case, for sports you'll probably be wanting a long zoom, so at first that one to the left which looks like it might be a 70-300mm.. might be OK, but I dont know much about Sigma lenses. I have the Tamron equivalent, but better than both might be a Pentax DA55-300. You'll need wide for landscapes, looks like you have an 18-55mm lens there, and that would be fine. As you're just starting out, I'd recommend sticking it on auto and then checking what the camera decided was good, for the shots that look good, once you get them uploaded to your computer.

Others will have other opinions
09-30-2018, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gewi6410 Quote
Just wondering what sort of lens would I need to take photos at football (soccer) games? Also for landscapes.
You will get lots of different answers because each photographer has different preferences. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' lens, just what takes the pictures you like. Best way to tell that is take your camera and lenses out and do some test shots, see what works (for you).

That said, it is sort of a rule of thumb that sports need a fast long lens and landscape needs a wide angle which can be slower because landscapes are often taken on a tripod. But if you right on the sidelines at a sporting event you might need a wide angle instead. So "which lens" is very situational.
09-30-2018, 03:32 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on your K-5 - it's an awesome camera, and capable of excellent image quality even by today's standards Also, that's a nice Giottos tripod - I use one very similar to it... They're very good quality.

As @kyteflyer already asked, it would be helpful if you could let us know which lenses are in that photo. Two of those at the front look like Sigma, one at the front and one at the back appear to be Tamron. You might have all you need for your purposes already

A word of well-meant caution and advice... In your photo, your camera has no body cover in place (to protect the circular opening from dust ingress). In that state, dust can get inside the camera body and onto your sensor. As such, it's best to leave a lens fitted to your camera at all times, or alternatively fit a cover to the mount (they are available cheaply on eBay). Also, get yourself a "bulb blower" to blow dust off the sensor and out of the camera. A little dust on the sensor won't obviously affect a lot of photos, but it will certainly affect some

09-30-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, what all is that? You might have at least one of your desired lenses already.
10-01-2018, 01:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi morning all, first up I'm blown away by the response and secondly I apologise, I should have listed the lenses. I have a
Tamron 18-250mm
Tamron 17-50mm
Sigma 105mm
Sigma 70-300mm

Everything was given to me by my late father in law who was a keen photographer. Again, thanks for the responses. I really didn't expect it.

Graham
10-01-2018, 02:59 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi morning all, first up I'm blown away by the response and secondly I apologise, I should have listed the lenses. I have a
Tamron 18-250mm
Tamron 17-50mm
Sigma 105mm
Sigma 70-300mm

Everything was given to me by my late father in law who was a keen photographer. Again, thanks for the responses. I really didn't expect it.

Graham
Hi Graham. Welcome to the forum. I have very successfully used the Sigma 70-300mm for football (soccer) and cycling, on my K-5. I'd suggest you try that one first as it gives you the most reach which I feel is a must for soccer.

10-01-2018, 03:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Graham. Welcome to the forum. I have very successfully used the Sigma 70-300mm for football (soccer) and cycling, on my K-5. I'd suggest you try that one first as it gives you the most reach which I feel is a must for soccer.
Is there a specific setting I should have it on? Like I said I'm totally new to all this so the dumber the explanation the better 😁
10-01-2018, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a specific setting I should have it on? Like I said I'm totally new to all this so the dumber the explanation the better ��
For sport, i generally use the following settings:
Shutter and aperture priority, AF-C, continuous shooting high, 1/1500 or higher shutter speed, F5.6, ISO Auto, but preferably lower than 3200, shake reduction on, when shooting handheld, off when shooting on tripod, shooting either RAW or JPG. Oh, and 5 point AF or single point AF. (I can't decide which works better - 5 point or single point!)
10-01-2018, 03:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks Mark, much appreciated 👍🏻I'll let you know how I get on.
10-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mark, much appreciated 👍🏻I'll let you know how I get on.
No worries. Feel free to shout out if you need more help. My K-5 served me well for 6 years.
10-01-2018, 03:59 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No worries. Feel free to shout out if you need more help. My K-5 served me well for 6 years.
Thanks Mark. I was in the process of buying a Cannon but my mother in law told me there was a camera and lenses in her house that has been sitting for 5 years untouched since my father in law passed away so I was so lucky. Again, thank you to everyone for the replies.
10-01-2018, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mark. I was in the process of buying a Cannon but my mother in law told me there was a camera and lenses in her house that has been sitting for 5 years untouched since my father in law passed away so I was so lucky. Again, thank you to everyone for the replies.
Proof that mother-in-law (sometimes) knows best!
10-01-2018, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's a nice list of lenses. I don't think I would recommend buying anything right now. Get comfortable with those and keep shooting. This forum is a great resource.
10-01-2018, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

The football (soccer) questions have been covered. I don't think landscape has been addressed yet.

Landscapes can be done with any of those lenses depending on the scene. I suggest starting with the 17-50; it's the widest lens and has a reputation for being sharp. Note that some landscape scenes might benefit from more focal length than 50mm; you'll figure that out with time.

Camera settings. I recommend Av mode for landscapes. Set the aperture to f/8 or f/11; most lenses are sharp in that range and you'll get decent "depth of field". Use auto ISO by pressing the small ISO button followed by green button. (you might optionally change to Manual mode as you learn more)

Tripod can help for landscapes. Use the 2-second timer when the camera is on a tripod. Why? It lets shake from your hand and the moving mirror die down. Turn off auto ISO and pick ISO 80 (which might require menu settings to enable) for the least "noise" and most "dynamic range".

I recommend this book to new photographers. It covers a bit of everything LIFE Guide to Digital Photography: Everything You Need to Shoot Like the Pros: Joe McNally, Editors of Life: 9781603201278: amazon.com: Books?tag=pentaxforums-20&