Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

New to the forum, still rocking a Kx!

Hi, I Cameron. I started up photography in high school, and picked up a kx back when it came out. I still love the thing. I also learned on old Pentax film slrs back in school.

I had been on a long hiatus from photography due to life/work, but now that I have time, I have been getting really in to concert photography.

Though after my first try, while I got some photos that I, and the bands, are happy with, I have realized I need some new lenses. I look forward to relearning what I knew, and learning what I didn't.

Thanks for having me, and thanks for a forum dedicated to the camera brand I grew up with.

10-01-2018, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
10-02-2018, 01:35 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Cameron, and welcome to the forums. Good to have you with us

There are plenty of members here who still shoot the older Pentax DSLR cameras, me included - so you're in good company!
10-02-2018, 01:36 AM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Cameron, and welcome from Australia.

10-02-2018, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Cameron, and welcome to the forums. Good to have you with us

There are plenty of members here who still shoot the older Pentax DSLR cameras, me included - so you're in good company!
Awesome! I'm glad to have found a forum that still has love for "outdated" equipment. It has served well and still works like it was new.
10-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My daughter-in-law has our K-x and it's still going strong. It's a great camera, appreciated by those who used it,.
10-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My daughter-in-law has our K-x and it's still going strong. It's a great camera, appreciated by those who used it,.
I just got through reading some responses in another forum where I had shared some terribly low light concert photos, half the people there said the camera was bad and I should upgrade it... Even though it was operator error on the exposure and having to correct it in post boosted the noise.

I thought they turned out fine for what they were. An old dslr on a kit lens

Perhaps my favorite
10-02-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liaztraht Quote
I just got through reading some responses in another forum where I had shared some terribly low light concert photos, half the people there said the camera was bad and I should upgrade it... Even though it was operator error on the exposure and having to correct it in post boosted the noise.
Nice shot

Forums are strange places - even PentaxForums, which I hold dear. There's a wide cross-section of people in all forums... among them, those who must have the very latest gear, and anything less than that is considered "bad" or "defunct"; those who will be ready to criticise every minute detail of others' photographic efforts. But... the majority of members here (and, I'd hope, on other forums - though I don't frequent any) are a little more balanced. We have our characters, for sure, but most are more interested in the photograph rather than the minutiae and equipment. For those that are fixated on the latter, don't take their comments to heart. Each to their own, right?

I've taken some of my favourite photos with my Samsung GX-10 (Pentax K10D clone), and of all my equipment, it's my favourite camera. Yes, it's limited compared to modern gear, but who cares? If it produces images I enjoy, then (as a hobbyist) that's all that matters.

Enjoy your K-x. It's still a fine camera, and just as good as the day it was released

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-02-2018 at 02:26 PM.
10-02-2018, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought they turned out fine for what they were. An old dslr on a kit lens

Perhaps my favorite
For a poorly lit bar, I think the shot turned out great!

I also still shoot with my K10D on occasion, and I recently sold my *ist DL. Plus I still shoot a lot of film, my most recent acquisition is a 1975 K2. Often, too much is put on the equipment being the best available today, and not enough on the image itself.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by twilhelm; 10-02-2018 at 04:23 PM.
10-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
For a poorly lit bar, I think the shot turned out great!

I also still shoot with my K10D on occasion, and I recently sold my *ist DL. Plus I still shoot a lot of film, my most recent acquisition is a 1975 KX. Often, too much is put on the equipment being the best available today, and not enough on the image itself.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
I am looking at lenses right now. Something faster like the DA 50mm f/1.8 or the 35 f/2.4.
Its about the only thing I need.

I do miss the old Pentax film camera I used throughout high school. If I can find a good deal on one, I may have to snag it.
10-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks!
I am looking at lenses right now. Something faster like the DA 50mm f/1.8 or the 35 f/2.4.
Its about the only thing I need.

I do miss the old Pentax film camera I used throughout high school. If I can find a good deal on one, I may have to snag it.
I have the 35 2.4, and for the little money it costs, it is a great lens. More than capable and a great focal length on a crop body camera.
10-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I have the 35 2.4, and for the little money it costs, it is a great lens. More than capable and a great focal length on a crop body camera.
Good to hear!
I do want both, but need to decide soon on if a max of f2.4 is enough for my current needs. I do like the approximate look of it through the kit lens.
10-03-2018, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I also rock a K-x, bought cheaply on the used market. These days it has a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 lens on it most of the time. It works well with live view, but using the viewfinder is a bit hit and miss.
10-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, the K-x is considered to be quite modern kit by some of us here.