Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #1

New to Forum and Pentax

I'm new to the forum and to Pentax. I recently became the proud owner of a Pentax K3...someday I hope to learn how to use the thing?

My dad was a Pentax user and passed on some of his gear year ago..I just found it...I would like to post a list of it and have folks tell me what is going to work with the K3...but I'm not sure what part of the forum would be appropriate. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Thom

10-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Thom

Welcome to the forum. You could post in the Pentax K-3 - PentaxForums.com or the Troubleshooting and Beginner Help - PentaxForums.com section.

Fire away - many members will be happy to help you.

Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)
10-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The DSLR forum would be a great place:
Pentax DSLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com

We also have a compatibility checker for lenses. Almost all old Pentax lenses will work with newer Pentax cameras:
Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tlchost Quote
I'm new to the forum and to Pentax. I recently became the proud owner of a Pentax K3...someday I hope to learn how to use the thing? . . .

Thom
welcome

you may want to check out this offer:

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - PentaxForums.com

10-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum. The K-3 is a great camera (I will be giving mine a run this weekend) with a lot of features. But it is still easy to use. All of your older Pentax lenses should mount on the K-3 and work just fine. There is advice on the Forum if you have manual lenses to use as well.
10-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

these charts might be informative to the OP [ and others ? ]

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2016 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA."

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts: DA* lenses work like DA lenses, FA* like FA, F* like F, A* like A, and M* like M.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. . . .

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. . . .

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
10-08-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, you’ll be pleased to know that most older kit will work with camera with some limitations.

10-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! Lots of advice and opinions from the friendly folks here. You are gonna love it!
10-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
10-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #10
Closed Account

Hi Thom, and welcome from Australia.
10-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
Wow...thanks for all the welcomes and the information. It seems my K-3 was the one used to write the k-3 ebook. Unfortunately, none of the wisdom in the book transfered from the camera to my old foggy brain. But, I'm trying every day to grasp info.