Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I am new here !

Hello fellow photographers !
I am new here !...
I am learning about photography ! ... already know the artistic part ! but learning about the specs and tech !
I want to buy a camera , I love Pentax , and I consider it my fave and better over the other brands ! , I think it's best made for professional photography ! , but can some one tell me how good or wrong I am in so !
My intention is to take photos of portraits , modeling and some times nature , basically architecture !

10-04-2018, 12:07 AM   #2

Original Poster
Greetings to all !!!

Hello , I am willing to become a photographer !
I have a certain knowledge of photography ! ...am an Architect !
I have a Minolta from the mid 90's and now entering the digital era , want to start with Pentax !
I'm keen on Pentax cause my Grandfather used Pentax binoculars ! and from what I've read and seen its cameras are awesome !!!
Best regards to everyone here !!!
10-04-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pink Quote
My intention is to take photos of portraits , modeling and some times nature , basically architecture !
Welcome to PFs! Pentax makes great cameras that suit your interests in photography. If you could tell us more about you, if you already have any equipment, your budget etc. PF members will be able to propose some very good alternative solutions for you
10-04-2018, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Welcome to PFs! Pentax makes great cameras that suit your interests in photography. If you could tell us more about you, if you already have any equipment, your budget etc. PF members will be able to propose some very good alternative solutions for you
Hi redpit !
Thanks for the help !
I love photography but don't have a camera !
For the moment my budget is very low !.... trying to not go over $350 ... to begin !...
I'm looking for a good used camera that i can start working with and make some money , than move on to a better one !
I am thinking perhaps on a Pentax K-50 !???...

10-04-2018, 01:37 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. Obviously we are all here because we like Pentax (although many of us use other cameras as well). There are a lot of advantages to using Pentax but all camera brands are good. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Tell us a bit more about yourself and what you plan to do. Then you can pick and choose from the suggestions that come up.

For your budget, you might be able to pick up a K-5 or K-5 iis. They have some advantages over the K50 such as 14-bit colour instead of 12-bit. Check out the DSLRs in the camera database here and you will get some idea of what each camera has to offer.

Last edited by PJ1; 10-04-2018 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Additional nfo
10-04-2018, 03:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi redpit !
Thanks for the help !
I love photography but don't have a camera !
For the moment my budget is very low !.... trying to not go over $350 ... to begin !...
I'm looking for a good used camera that i can start working with and make some money , than move on to a better one !
I am thinking perhaps on a Pentax K-50 !???...
You're welcome Pink. $350 is a budget that can get you a very good camera and a 18-55 lens to begin with and enjoy photography!
The K-50 is a really good camera to begin with, but as @PJ1 wrote above, I would also recommend the K-5 and even better K-5IIs as those cameras are excellent and I consider them proffesional tools capable for pretty much any type of photography! You will have it for many years to come and you won't feel the need for better IQ or ergonomy! I still have mine (K-5IIs) and still is an amazing camera

Take a look, I did a quick search and you can find used cameras for your budget:
Pentax K-5 with 18-55mm kit lens and genuine Pentax D-BG4 battery grip - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera Original owner, only 8,932 clicks LN - PentaxForums.com
10-04-2018, 04:25 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

you can go to " buy/sell " section of the forum and look for " experienced " equipment for sale by members.

" Items in Forum: Photographic Equipment for Sale Thread Filtering Options Forum Tools Search this Forum "

note that you can filter the posts by country of origin and other factors

I always filter the posts so I only see those from members in the United States

here is one that might be of interest, I don't know the seller

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/370616-sa...-55-300mm.html

good luck

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-04-2018 at 04:30 AM.
10-04-2018, 05:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse!

Take a bit of time to read here. For $350 you can still get a decent camera body and kit lens. You won't get anything REALLY new, but still very good.
I'd start looking at:

K-5 - it's a bit old but very capable and has all the flagship features.
K-50 - it's been a solid performer, though the K-30 might be a better option to afford another lens.

Don't dismiss older bodies like a Kx or K20 or K10. For landscape etc. you should have plenty of light, allowing these to be very useful. The K10 and 20 use an older style of sensor which many feel has a more film-like look, which might be VERY useful for your style of photography.
10-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank y'all for the tips and help !

Am I right or wrong on this !?
...I am thinking more on a K=50 because it has a far more ISO capability than the K-5 , ... For as little as I know , that means better photos in low light situations , right !?
...also newer video formats !...
I want to use it mostly on portraits , say weddings , graduations , parties , architecture ! so , I guess a higher range in ISO is whats most helpful for this situations , right !?
Plus , a K-50 is a bit newer ... not sure if it matters too !...
10-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Am I right or wrong on this !?
...I am thinking more on a K=50 because it has a far more ISO capability than the K-5 , ... For as little as I know , that means better photos in low light situations , right !?
...also newer video formats !...
I want to use it mostly on portraits , say weddings , graduations , parties , architecture ! so , I guess a higher range in ISO is whats most helpful for this situations , right !?
Plus , a K-50 is a bit newer ... not sure if it matters too !...
You're right that the K-50 is a bit newer (released some months after the K-5IIs) but having owned the K-5, the K-5IIs (I sold the K-5 and kept the 5IIs) and extensively used the K-50 (my best friend who I introduced into the DSLR world and Pentax bought it) I can tell you that although the K-50 is a great camera the K-5 series are even better and especially the improved K-5II and IIs. Moreover you can feel when you hold the cameras from the ergonomics and the design that the K-5 series are meant as professional cameras (they were the flagship of APS-C category) and trust me the low light capabilities of K-5IIs are clearly better than K-50.

Don't get me wrong, if you have decided on the K-50 it is an excellent camera, but if you are in between I would recommend the K-5 (IIs even better). Finally for what it's worth here is the DXOmark score of those sensors that gives an idea of what I'm talking about (vs the D500 which is like a benchmark for the APS-C cameras from its introduction):
Nikon D500 vs Pentax K-50 vs Pentax K-5 IIs

The DR of the K-5IIs is impressive and everytime I open a RAW file on CR, I'm impressed of how flexible and full of information their files are! Even compared to the K-1 files

Anyway, I would recommend to find those 2 bodies in a shop (or a fellow Pentaxian near you) if possible and hold them-test them to make up your mind (if as I said earlier you haven't decided yet!)
10-05-2018, 12:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for the help !
I'll look for both !.... at the end perhaps i'll choose the best kept maintained one / cost !!!
Till next time , Best regards,
... thank you once again !!!!!!!
10-05-2018, 12:50 AM   #12
Closed Account

Welcome aboard.
10-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you for the tips !!!
I have bought a Pentax K-50 !
Some of you recommended also the K-5iis !
I had a very tight budget and found for a much better price a K-50 !!!
I have also bought some lenses and now i need to buy an external flash ! for a very low budget !? , but I'm afraid to buy an incorrect one and damage the camera !...
Can some one please let me know which ones are the correct ones ! ( or how to know ! ) ?...
I've seen these two for a very low price ( Pentax AF-200FG Shoe Mount Flash AF200FG and Pentax AF240FT Shoe Mount Flash ) , are they ok for the K-50 !?...
Thank you up front for any help !!! !!! !!!
Jorge
10-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you can find some info on " external flash units by going to " Accessories " and reviewing the materials there:

Pentax Accessories - Flashes, Tripods, Grips - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

enjoy your camera:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-50-review/introduction.html?src=lrdb

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-50.html

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf

[ pages 68-70 has info on the built in flash ]

does it have the latest firmware update:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/firmware-updates/pentax-k-50-firmware-v110-released.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-08-2018 at 02:54 AM.
10-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.