Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #1

Hello from Wisconsin!

Not quite sure what to say so here goes anyway......

I am married with 3 daughters, 3 stepsons, and a granddaughter. I love taking pictures of my family but over the past 4 years or so I realize that I love taking pictures of everything!!!

I have had my own cameras since I was 9 so my "hobby" started at a very young age. My first SLR was a zx-7 that I purchased in 2004 Basically other than the automatic function I didn't know much about using it. Last year I decided that I wanted to learn more and be able to do more so I jumped in and bought the K10D. I think the leap was a little too large.

I'm a hands on learner so trying to read all of the "how to" books isn't getting me very far and I don't live in a big city with resources close by either. I'm a member on another board but so many people post very negatively on there. That's not what I'm looking for so I hope that this is a positive environment where I can learn a lot!

09-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Welcome Cheesehead.
I don't have as long of a photo track record as you, but I have been into taking vaction/holiday/family pictures for years with various point and shoots (including a Pentax IQ Zoom 35mm).
I am sure the K10 isn't too much of a camera. The K10 is also my first DSLR, purchased May '07. Like you I am very hands-on, so I started shooting, about 10,000 or so the first year and I have learned so much just from doing that. If the first picture isn't to your liking, take 5 more!
This forum is also great for the variety of people and wealth of experiance they bring with them.
Enjoy.
Scott
09-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
A fellow cheesehead! Since you are from WI and very close to me (West Bend) are there any local groups or clubs that you know of where I could go and get some hands on tips or ideas?
09-29-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome pattik,

Plenty of positive people on this forum, who are willing to share their knowledge. Enjoy and learn.

09-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

Have fun
09-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Welcome Pattik, no you didn't buy a camera over your head. I'm also not too good a learner, I can get so much out of a book but I prefer the "monkey see, monkey do" kind of learning.
My best advice to you is, when you have question, ask it. When you have a picture and you want to know what went wrong or how you can improve it, post it and ask the question.
You've already noticed that this is not your average forum, come on in, enjoy yourself and learn with us, we all have something to teach each other.
09-30-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pattik Quote
A fellow cheesehead! Since you are from WI and very close to me (West Bend) are there any local groups or clubs that you know of where I could go and get some hands on tips or ideas?
Pattik;
I know there are quite a few local clubs, I picked up a brochure once that listed a number of them, but I don't belong to any. As far as hands-on there are classes almost every Sat. morning run by Arts Camera (Digital 101 from 1:30-4:30 and Digital 201 from 9:30-12:30). I understand the cost is in the 20-40 range but I haven't taken one yet. The floks there are always been helpful to me, which is why I bought my kit from them.

I checked this site out and it seems there is a club in West Bend.
Wisconsin Area Camera Club Organization
Happy shooting,
Scott