Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2018, 05:31 PM - 4 Likes   #1

How I got B. Kronberger's Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II w/ 50mm f/1.4 Asahi lens

It was the Wooden Boat Festival in Madisonville, Louisiana. I recognized a boat owner I had photographed in 2002 for Pontchartrain Magazine and said, "Hello." He had a new boat and asked me to come over for a visit and take his picture again. So on Saturday, I I loaded up an old Vivitar and Rokinon f/2 50mm with Kodak 400-TX hoping for a vintage look and walked over to shoot the beautiful old boats and the crowds. The scene was shaded by ancient Live Oaks and I could not get adequate light standing on the seawall. The owner's wife was desperate so she beckoned me to come aboard. The camera was light and the step was short so it seemed no problem for a career boating photographer as I confidently stepped onto the board they were using as a gangway to cross the narrow space between the seawall and and stern of the boat where the owners waited impatiently.

The crowd was close around so no one noticed that the board was not attached to the sea wall. The beckoning owners didn't notice that the board had slipped off the stern of the boat. One step and it collapsed into the briny Tchefuncte River slick with oil, debris and general nastiness, taking me, the camera and the board deep down into the darkness under the boat. I looked around and saw dim light, I felt the smooth bottom of the boat, the rough concrete seawall and finally reached up where rescuers grabbed my hand.

Bloody and bruised, I was pulled out, set in a chair and wrapped in a towel. The fire department came, the local cops came, the lawyers came, and finally my husband, just as the festival officials disappeared. The owners, now trapped on their raggedy boat, shook the water out of my camera and suggested it might still work.

At home I checked out Ebay and found a nice looking CLA'd Pentax and lens in an almost new leather case and engraved with the previous owner's name, B. Kronberger, sold by silvervintagephoto. After a few email exchanges I ordered the set and it came in two days. Orthopedic surgery to cut out the torn cartilage in my knee is tomorrow.

I really wanted a new film camera to go with my Nikon D810 and Sony A7rII, but I would have rather not paid for it this way.

Mr/Miss/Ms B Kronberger, if you are out there somewhere, please send me a message.

10-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums, and I'm sorry to hear about that accident, once you're mended it will be a great story to you. It's pretty fascinating to me right now. And I certainly hope the Spotmatic and Takumar serve you well.
10-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Judy, Sorry to hear about the accident but I am glad it wasn't worse. I hope you fully recover soon and you can start enjoying your new camera.
10-24-2018, 02:15 AM   #4
Closed Account

Hi Judy, and welcome from Australia.

10-24-2018, 03:18 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Judy Darby Quote
How I got B. Kronberger's Asahi Pentax Spotmatic II w/ 50mm f/1.4 Asahi lens
Welcome to the forum, great story, hope all goes well with the op.
10-24-2018, 04:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Really sorry about that fall and injury. I hope everything goes well. And incidentally, that you enjoy your "new" camera.