Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #1

Hello from the snow capital of New York

Hello all,
I am just an amateur who has been using a K100D for the past 12 years photographing private art and antique collections, all kinds of images for web pages and thousands of travel photos. Yes the old K100D produces acceptable web page images but alas, the old girl isn't focusing so well any more so I am looking to buy a new K70 or KP. I love low light and street photography so I am here to listen to the latest wisdom. Hope we talk soon.

Dennis

(hint about snow capital): A city with a NFL team that lost the Super Bowl four times.

11-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Wide Right" and welcome to the forum!

Phil.
11-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Phil.

Wide-Right and NO-Goal are burn't into the area's soul.
11-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Rochester. For what it's worth, the Tug Hill Plateau snowfalls on the east end of Lake Ontario make the snowfall contest between Buffalo, Syracuse and Rochester look pretty lame. They usually have double what the "winner" gets.

11-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not own either camera, I own a K-5. Both of your choices look very good, so it's a matter of how much you want to spend. I'd go for the KP, personally, it seems a bit more rugged.

If you like street shooting, consider getting a DA 40mm XS "pancake" lens. Combined with the compactness of either body, you have a great street phtoto combo. Since you will likely be out in rain and snow, consider buying the 18-135 weather resistant zoom lens. You can usually find used copies of both lenses on PF, and the sellers here are honest.

I look forward to seeing your pictures, especially because I love winter, but my wife does not, so we moved out of the snow belt and I have to live vicariously through the photos of others.,

Also, consider posting your photos in the PF group "Bad Weather Makes Good Pictures" (link in my signature block). Pemtaxians and their cameras fear no foul weather.
11-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
11-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some day I'd love to catch a lake-effect snowstorm (just one!), a Sabres game and a Bills game. All the stuff Oregon doesn't have
Welcome, and enjoy whichever body wins out! It won't be hard to appreciate either one.
11-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

at least the sabres aren't terrible right now. No one wants to catch a lake effect storm. Last year we got caught in Pulaski heading back to Syracuse. I can vouch for the K70. Just used it at the 1890 Wickwire house in Cortland. I do not like having to rely on focus peaking and or af for low light, lacking split prism.

11-11-2018, 12:54 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, as for the white stuff... please do not feel the need to share, you can keep it all.
11-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
RE: Welcome from the snow capital of NY

Thank you all for your welcome. I feel inspired to do a photo study of Western NY Bad Weather. In addition to snow, Lake Erie can put on a real show. The idea of a fierce-weather image collection has crossed my mind before.

Found some good information in dpreview on how access the auto focus correction menu on my K100D. I didn't know about that and I found that I needed to correct the focus point by +50um. Don't know why but now most of my images a very sharp again with my 2 zooms and the DA35. . But I also discovered that the focusing chip in the K100D can struggle with fast lenses like my DA 35 F2.4. It seems to get fooled about the focus point once in a while when using it, especially when wide open. The K100 is very long-in-the-tooth but processing 10 MB raw files is pretty snappy.

I spent a few hours reading the K70 and KP manuals. They are both feature-rich cameras but the KP seems to have some worthwhile additions and capabilities. Looks like the focusing ability of the KP is about as good as it gets in the Pentax line. My only reservation about the KP is mechanical--the three grips. It appears that the mid and larger grips are extra now and I wonder about using it with a heavier zoom (like the DA 16-85 ED on sale at B&H) and small grip. No Pentax dealers in Buffalo these days to try one out.

Thank you all again for the welcome,

Dennis

Last edited by dennishohman; 11-12-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: grammar error
11-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dennishohman Quote
(hint about snow capital): A city with a NFL team that lost the Super Bowl four times.
Why does Buffalo always lose the Golden Snowball then?
11-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why does Buffalo always lose the Golden Snowball then?
Buffalo has won it a few times but it has been a while since the last time. Looks like Syracuse is the clear leader! But hey, I live in the Lake Erie snow belt and we get way more snow than the city of Buffalo but we are not allowed to compete! :-(

Looking out over my deck in November of 2014:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by dennishohman; 11-11-2018 at 09:30 PM.