Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A newbie oldie from all over (but mainly in CA and NM}

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member here but not exactly new to photography. Grew up in Belgium then moved to California 18 years ago - still living and working there but I also spend several weeks/months per year in places like New Mexico and Argentina. About 12 years ago I was seduced to go the DSLR route by all the bargains on ebay (which was very different then from what it is today) and after lots of hesitating and comparing between a used Pentax K10 or a Sony A100 I must confess I went for ... the Sony

While riding Sony's technological roller coaster over the past decade, I've kept a close watch on Pentax developments however. Especially after quirky Sony ditched optical viewfinders and then all but stopped development of cameras with mirrors.

When the K1 first came out it definitely checked all my boxes, but I like to wait a while for new models to start showing up slightly used, and an abundance of user reviews to attest to strengths versus weaknesses. A few months ago I finally plunged for a clean used specimen from keh and I've been taking it through its very impressive paces since -mostly with a Sigma 105 2.8 macro for tiny subjects and the highly enjoyable Pentax 16-45mm f/4 SMC DA for landscapes.

Haven't got my ducks in a row yet for posting images in PF, but this week I happened to pick up a manual focus lens that so far hasn't had any reviews posted or samples shown here in PF: a Rikenon P 28-110 f2.8-3.8. My first impression from just a few quick shots at f11 is one of pleasant surprise viz this rather odd optical duckling's sharpness, well-behaved corners and modest CA, so I'll be working on a more detailed report in the coming week or two!

Paul

Last edited by pdeley; 11-09-2018 at 11:53 PM.
11-10-2018, 01:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum a little belatedly given you joined in April. And welcome to California even more belatedly. Hopefully you are not in the fire zone right now. I’m impacted by the fires but not in an area that is threatened (the fuel for the fires was all used up last December).

Your mention of the Rikenon lens caused me to look at the reviews for the Rikenon lenses I have. I don’t have the the P 28-110 but I do have the P 28-100mm f4.0 Macro l. L’ll look forward to your review and perhaps it will inspire me to write a couple of reviews to fill the gaps in the Rikenon lens reviews.

You may want to look at the Single In Monthly challenge if you have not discovered it already. You take and post one picture per day using the same lens. Using a lens for a month gives me time to try different types of shots and try to find the sweet spot of the lens. I don’t shoot exclusively with the lens I am using for the Single In group but I usually start the day with it mounted to get some shot with it. I’ve found that even with a lens that is just a poorly made lens, I can usually get a couple of interesting shots during the month. I am not overly consistent with my daily posts but in the months I do make the effort it is very enjoyable and helpful. People may occasionally offer their thoughts for improving the shot but it’s is never in a negative way.

Last edited by Jim P; 11-10-2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Incomplete sentence
11-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums.
11-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome and pointers!

I'm located about 3 hours inland in one of the desert valleys, no fires going on nearby at the moment but local ranges have had major burns up high in past years. Single In Monthly looks interesting, I'll give it a try with my Siggy 105 since finding a macro subject a day is never a problem! Is the idea to start on the 1st day of a given month, or doesn't that matter?

The Rikenon will probably get more intense workouts on some days only, for desert field work mapping soil and vegetation while the K1 captures gps coordinates and compass angle. That means no need for AF or wide apertures, but corners and 37-Mpx-worthy sharpness will definitely matter. So the first step will be to put it through its paces and find out whether it measures up to the challenge.

Actually I'd been looking for a while at used offerings of the Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED on ebay (and checking reviews here for older potentially K1-worthy alternatives like the successive Komine/Kiron-made Viv Series 1 "stovepipes") when this 28-110 showed up last week for relative peanuts.

11-11-2018, 01:14 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy your time spent here.
11-11-2018, 02:56 AM   #6
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Paul, and welcome from Australia.