Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 04:14 AM   #1

MX user from South Africa

Thought I'd pop in an introduction. I live in Cape Town South Africa. I had a K1000 from when I was about 12 and inherited my dad's MX in 1993, I think, after he'd moved to his first Nikon.

I use a bunch of different cameras, but I recently dusted off the MX which I've taken all over the world with me. It's hard to say exactly how attached I am to the old girl. I did some reading and discovered that it has one of the biggest viewfinders of any SLR (.95 magnification with 97% coverage). It really is a pure pleasure to use. Especially because it's also one of the smallest slrs ever made.

I also have a beat-up 67 which is just as easy and lovely to use. I've been neglecting it too. But I'm going to take it with the 400mm and 1.4x extender to the Kruger National Park over xmas and try get some wildlife images on Tri-X. Super lucky to have that lens. A late friend of my old man's sold it to him really cheap because he'd stopped shooting 6x7.

Oh yes. I also have a 645N I use sometimes. But although it's a brilliant camera I just adore the simplicity and huge viewfinder of the 67.

That's an OM4 I got for my partner to document her life on film sets and my original MX with a 28mm f3.5. Digitally I'm moving towards Fujifilm now because I realised how much I miss carrying a tiny, discreet camera. So I picked up an XE1 cheap. Still waiting to get an 18mm lens for it though.

For fun, here's pic I took in Kgalagadi National Park a good few years ago on the 67 with the 400mm.

11-10-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to seeing some of the pictures after Xtmas.
11-10-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome from the UK! I’ve had a MX since 1977 and used it for 25 years before my first digiPentax came along.
11-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, hope to see more of your imagery from there.

11-11-2018, 04:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I agree entirely on the MX, it's lovely to use.

Fujifilm is a good move for keeping things small but with very good image quality, and very good for using old film lenses with adapters. The 18mm f/2 lens is very nice.
11-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum. I have retired my MX and have happily remained with my growing inventory of Pentax digital.
I have just returned from a trip to SA having visited several game parks including Kruger—SA is a photographers heaven—enjoy Kruger it also has a prolific bird life.
11-12-2018, 06:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wozasam Quote
Welcome to the forum. I have retired my MX and have happily remained with my growing inventory of Pentax digital.
I have just returned from a trip to SA having visited several game parks including Kruger—SA is a photographers heaven—enjoy Kruger it also has a prolific bird life.
So glad you got to enjoy it. There certainly is amazing birdlife. That park is probably my favourite place on Earth.

Took this there last year. Not on Pentax gear though, I'm afraid.

11-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard, love your photos.

11-12-2018, 02:06 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Singemonkey Quote
So glad you got to enjoy it. There certainly is amazing birdlife. That park is probably my favourite place on Earth.

Took this there last year. Not on Pentax gear though, I'm afraid.
That is a very nice shot, thanks for sharing (White fronted Bee-Eater)?
11-13-2018, 06:43 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wozasam Quote
That is a very nice shot, thanks for sharing (White fronted Bee-Eater)?
Yes indeed. Looks like it must have just had a bath.

---------- Post added 11-13-18 at 06:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Welcome aboard, love your photos.
Thanks!