Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2018, 04:16 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Robin Gowing - the legend

Hi team!

I am new to this forum, but wanted to create a user to be able to post this review! My pentax MX stopped working around my birthday and i was so devastated, I was scared to send it off but also didn’t know where to. I live in London, so I assumed somewhere would be able to help - after much research I stumbled upon Harrow Technical ( what LUCK!) turns out that Robin Gowing, who does the repairs had actually retired (dreams crushed instantly.)

So, I persisted and emailed anyway, asking if they could suggest anywhere else or what I should do / should I just get another camera only for me to realise I’m emailing the man himself.

He offered to take my camera on, fix it not only from the problems it was having but also return it to it’s factory settings. He replaced the focus glass and sent it back, all for just under £200.

I was so pleased when I got it back because the shutter speed dial in the viewfinder didn’t match the actual dial and now it does, I tested it and it worked!

I’m extremely chuffed for the worn done here and want to say a huge thank you to Robin again and I would recommend him to anyone!

Thank you for taking the time to read,
Lauren <3

11-11-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Lauren, and welcome

I was under the impression that Harrow Technical had ceased trading, but I now see from their website - and from your post - that they're offering a reduced-capacity service by e-mail rather than from the original premises. That's great, as I know of numerous people who've had very good service from them in the past.

I'll be frank - £200 sounds like quite a heavy service cost, but of course that depends entirely on the work involved, so it's difficult to judge without all of the information.

Regardless, I'm delighted to hear your MX is working again, and I hope you'll be an active participant in these forums

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-11-2018 at 04:34 PM.
11-11-2018, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum. The MX is a fantastic camera, well done. (I bought my first in 1977 and love it so much that I have four back-ups)
11-12-2018, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Lauren, and welcome

I was under the impression that Harrow Technical had ceased trading, but I now see from their website - and from your post - that they're offering a reduced-capacity service by e-mail rather than from the original premises. That's great, as I know of numerous people who've had very good service from them in the past.

I'll be frank - £200 sounds like quite a heavy service cost, but of course that depends entirely on the work involved, so it's difficult to judge without all of the information.

Regardless, I'm delighted to hear your MX is working again, and I hope you'll be an active participant in these forums
Thank you for such a lovely welcome to the forum!

I can confirm that Robin does indeed take on jobs still, I was worried he might not especially if he saw the amount of work needed on my camera, but was very very happy when he agreed - considering each job may take around 10 days, and mine was just over?

I won't lie and say that I wasn't deflated when I saw the £180 leave my bank account, but if I think about how little people there are around still servicing film cameras? I can't really complain that although technically retired, Robin still gave up his time, and he has done a wonderful job!

I'm glad I have it back, I really missed it and am excited to be able to use it again thank you for the support guys!!

11-17-2018, 03:36 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the the Highlands of Scotland, I'm just bringing a little International flavour to this thread.