Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 03:44 AM   #1

Hello from Harrow, England!

Hi there!

I am currently living in Harrow, England (not exciting or exotic, I am aware.) But it is where I call home whilst I finish my third year of uni. Currently studying at Westminster university, doing a BA Film course, I am in my final year, soon (of 3).

I joined the forum initially to post a review about Robin Gowing, who recently did some fantastic service work on my camera, I am very very pleased indeed!

I wanted to introduce myself and admit that I am very very new to 35mm SLR cameras, but I absolutely love my 35mm camera and am infatuated with the art of taking celluloid pictures instead of digital ones. I hardly touch my DSLR now, unless it is related to the course!

(Just noticing that I started all the paragraphs with 'I'...haha oops ) and now again, I work in the Kodak Lab at Pinewood, it is a small wonderful team of 6 mainly, whom I consider to be my second family. It is recent, as I only started over summer after doing 2 weeks there but I love it. Not only do I prep the machine in the morning to test it before film rushes come in to be developed, but I also run the test myself and can determine whether or not the machine is good to go! Mainly though, my job title is 'Neg Assembler' as I assemble feature film rushes to be sent off to Pinewood post to be scanned.

Lastly, I would love to go into the film industry, with my passion (unsurprisingly) lying in cinematography. The end goal for me would be to become a Director of Photography and at the moment, I am currently in the pre-production stages of shooting a commercial at uni. It is part of the Kodak 16mm competition in which products are put forward and you have to make a 30 second commercial for one of them. Our idea is quite ridiculous! When it's done I can post the link for people to check it out !

Please say hello
Lauren <3

11-12-2018, 03:47 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Lauren, and welcome from " the colonies."
11-12-2018, 04:10 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another "Hi" from the colonies, Lauren. There is an old homestead not far from us also called "Harrow". It has a very nice (and large) garden which they have opened to the public every year. This was the last year it was to be open and, incidentally, the first time we went to see it. It was not at its best though, because of the drought. That's just piece of trivia for you - you can't go far in Australia without encountering something named after somewhere in the UK (or somewhere in Europe).
Your course sounds like a photographer/film maker's dream. I hope you will stay in touch here. The Forums are a fantastic resource. I have never seen a question asked which could not be answered. Lots of people here are still involved with film (as opposed to digital). But I am not one of them.
Peter
11-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome from me again...