Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 01:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Greetings from Scotland!

Goooood morning ladies and gentlemen!

The name here's Callum - been into photography for a while but never really put much effort into improving! Recently got my first DSLR, a Pentax K-50 and I love it!
I still own my old cameras (a bridge camera (Fujifilm HS10) for a good few years now; and a compact Canon Powershot G6 for a good decade before that!)

I'm looking to improve my photography, and thought this forum may be of use for camera-specific technical advice, and of course, a good excuse to ask for general photography advice on my journey to being a better photographer!

Looking forward to joining the pentax gang - hope to hear from you all soon!

11-16-2018, 02:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Callum and welcome. there's quite a few of us here in Scotland and certainly many on the forum with lots of knowledge
11-16-2018, 02:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
Hi Callum and welcome. there's quite a few of us here in Scotland and certainly many on the forum with lots of knowledge
Woo-hoo! Always great to see fellow Scots, and a hearty hello to yourself!

I found there seemed to be a good few Scots in another photography forum as well actually - it surprised me then too! Scots don't represent a large percentage of the world population - so I don't usually expect to encounter them very often!

I had also (wrongly, in retrospect) assumed that for any given population, a given percentage of that population would be photographers - and I would have assumed that percentage to be roughly the same across all populations - so the percentage of photographers who are scottish would be roughly the same as the percentage of humans who are scottish - but of course, in retrospect, some cultures are simply more artistic than others; and photography is an artform, so it stands to reason that some cultures are also more into photography than others as well!

If I can find the time, I think I might investigate whether Scots actually do have a higher percentage of photographers, or if it's just confirmation bias because we're a small group and whenever one of us pops up the rest of the Scots in the group go "Woo-hoo! Always great to see fellow Scots!". It'd also be fun to try and rank countries on how artistic they are (specifically the percentage of artists in the population (which is quantitative) rather than the quality of that art (which is entirely subjective))!

Oh, while I'm on the subject... I had better give you all fair warning... I ramble sometimes - sorry in advance! xD

I'll keep things in the photography realm for now though!
11-16-2018, 02:58 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Oh, while I'm on the subject... I had better give you all fair warning... I ramble sometimes - sorry in advance! xD
Welcome aboard! and don't worry, we have a fair few of those here too. Ramblers.

I'm not Scottish, but am Scottish descent. My great, great, great....well, you get the idea, father's ancestors were from Scotland.

11-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
11-16-2018, 03:56 AM   #6
Closed Account

Hi Callum, and welcome aboard.
11-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

11-17-2018, 03:18 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Late to the party as usual... welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
11-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Late to the party as usual... welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
Late but never unwelcome! ::chucks hip flask your way:: here have a wee dram!
11-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Late but never unwelcome! ::chucks hip flask your way:: here have a wee dram!
And if it contained a uisge beatha from Islay, you could become an instant bestest buddy.
11-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I'm looking to improve my photography, and thought this forum may be of use for camera-specific technical advice, and of course, a good excuse to ask for general photography advice on my journey to being a better photographer!. . .
welcome from a McCrory - MacQuarrie [ mother's side ]

not too sure you will find members with opinions or advice here

but perhaps a few of us might try to express some from time to time

please let us know what you like to photograph and perhaps someone might direct you to an interesting thread or two

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-20-2018 at 01:44 PM.
11-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #12

Hey Callum and welcome ;D
11-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #13

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Welcome from another non-Scot (but I did live in Fife for 10 years). This is a great place to get information, help and encouragement.

bigted
11-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you’ve already made a few friends here.
11-21-2018, 01:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you’ve already made a few friends here.
Aye! A super-friendly welcome! I approve!

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Welcome from another non-Scot (but I did live in Fife for 10 years). This is a great place to get information, help and encouragement.
Just what I'm after!

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome from a McCrory - MacQuarrie [ mother's side ]
not too sure you will find members with opinions or advice here
but perhaps a few of us might try to express some from time to time
please let us know what you like to photograph and perhaps someone might direct you to an interesting thread or two
Ah, well - I'm not sure what I'm into yet! I'm at that stage of trying everything/throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks! I'm quite a fan of close-up and macro shots, but also enjoy wildlife photography and nature in general come to think of it!

I currently use a random photo-subject generator I wrote in Python (which I may have to release at some point because it's turned out very useful: I usually generate two or three options and then choose the most interesting (though this carries the risk of me discarding genres I wouldn't usually do in favour of those that I would!)

It simply picks a random item from a list of subjects, a list of modifiers, and a list of genres to generate a short string of text, and an optional "challenge" for added ... challenge? xD

I'll attach some sample files to give you an idea of what I mean :P Every time you run it, it generates a number of files (chosen by the user) and drops them in a dated folder, which is why each of the below files has a number in front of it.

Some will love the idea, some will hate it - but I don't mind because it was fun to program and I find it useful

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
And if it contained a uisge beatha from Islay, you could become an instant bestest buddy.
I'm afraid it's an Ardnamurchan single malt at the moment, though if you catch me in a few weeks time, it will be a luxuriously smooth bourbon instead! I change the contents every time I refill; but I'm saving the good ones for christmas

::Adds uisge beatha (Islay) to the list of whiskies I should buy at some point:: Thanks for the tacit/unintentional whisky advice!
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2-LUSHNESS-PRONENESS-PORTRAIT.txt (935 Bytes, 78 views)
File Type: txt 4-RIPPLES-SHORTNESS-PANORAMA.txt (933 Bytes, 68 views)
File Type: txt 5-SWEETNESS-OVERGROWTH-LANDSCAPE.txt (793 Bytes, 76 views)