Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #1

Hi new to this forum but need help desprately

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

10 years ago i got my first dslr camera it is a pentax k200D. i love it and i invested in a zoom lense and a macro lense... I now would love to upgrade my camera but i want to continue using the lenses i have. it this possible? What pentax camera would you recommend. thank you so much

11-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aussiescrapper Quote
10 years ago i got my first dslr camera it is a pentax k200D. i love it and i invested in a zoom lense and a macro lense... I now would love to upgrade my camera but i want to continue using the lenses i have. it this possible? What pentax camera would you recommend. thank you so much
Welcome to the forum

yes it is possible, if they are Pentax

check out this info

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

. . . Conclusion

A, F, FA and D FA lenses work on all Pentax bayonet cameras ever produced. Exceptions: 1) A lenses do not work on the MZ-60/ZX-60, 2) the D FA 100mm F2.8 WR and newer D FA lenses have no aperture ring which restricts their use on some film cameras.

FA J, DA and DA L lenses only work on cameras which can control the aperture (since these lenses have no aperture ring).

DA lenses should only be used on cameras with an APS-C sized sensor (16 x 24 mm) with the exception of the DA*200mm F2.8, DA*300mm F4, and DA 560mm F5.6, which can also be used on 24 x 36mm full-frame cameras.

DA lenses having the KAF4 mount only works on cameras which can control the aperture electronically (K-50, K-S1, K-3 and newer).

M and K lenses work on all cameras except the MZ/ZX-30, MZ/ZX-50 and MZ/ZX-6. They work with limitations on the *ist film camera. They work with stop-down metering on the *ist D series and K series digital SLRs provided that a custom function is set appropriately.

for more info on Pentax Cameras and lens that might be useful to you, first go up to " Cameras " then " reviews " and " lenses " then " Reviews " and check them out

second what is your intended use?

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-19-2018 at 06:55 AM.
11-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Any Pentax DSLR will do.

You didn't say what lenses you have, but any K mount lens will fit any Pentax camera with varying levels of functionality. Super Taks work with an adapter (probably same as the K-200D.)
You've got some choices to make.

Full frame K-1 or K-1 II. You should be able to get a good deal on the K-1, the K-1ii is the current standard.
APS-c looking at a K200D type of camera

The K-70 is the best deal right now, the K-P is the most advanced in most areas. The K-3ii is the flagship model but is close to being replaced.

You might like this thread.
Anyone else miss the K200D? - Page 58 - PentaxForums.com

Used you could look at a K-5, K-5ii or a K-3.

There older APS-c that would still be a huge upgrade to your K200D, K-30 and K-50, but both have known mechanical issues you might have to deal with, that could lead to a higher failure rate in those cameras, although there's never been any kind of solid statistical analysis supporting that. We just know a lot of people reported problems and a lot of people didn't. But buying second hand you'd have to be sure you didn't buy a failing camera, with those models. I'd stick with the flagship models in the used section.

Last edited by photolady95; 11-20-2018 at 07:19 AM. Reason: fixed typo
11-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
. . . Used you could look at a K-5, K-5ii or a K-3. . . .
I join in the recommendations of the K 5 series [ K 5, K 5II or K 5 II s ] or the K 3 series [ K 3 or K 3 II ]

all very useable cameras and you could save money to spend on other lenses

hopefully one of our members from Australia will check in and advise you as to where you might be able to find deals in your area

11-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A newer Pentax DSLR is always compatible with all older lenses, so no need to worry there! Check out the KP if you're looking for the best balance of image quality and durability. The K-3 and K-70 are also great.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
11-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, (almost) all K-mount lenses will work on all Pentax DSLR cameras.

Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)

11-19-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from another Australian.

You've already got some great potted summaries from Normhead.

If you want more detailed suggestions, it would help if you provide more information. What sort of things do you want to shoot? What gear do you have already? New or used? Budget? Are you looking for another compact model like the K200D, or something more hefty? Any other special requirements?

My first digital camera was a K100D. I loved it but when I got a K-30 in 2013 (after 6 years with the K100D) I found it could do many things I couldn't do with the K100D. It had a host of extra features (e.g. video, live view, weather-resistance), could do much higher ISO and the 16mp sensor allowed a lot more scope for cropping. Things have come along a lot since then too, but the developments have been more incremental. You would find any of the 16mp cameras or later a big jump from the K200D.

If you are looking to buy new, wait for the next sale from Pentax Australia or dcxpert (dcxpert | eBay Stores). They have periodic sales of 15% or 20% off. Don't buy from a grey imports supplier, because you won't have the manufacturer's warranty.

If second-hand is OK, be careful with Gumtree and the like. Although I've had good results buying there, you are on your own. The PF marketplace is a safer place to buy. If buying used I'd suggest a flagship model (K-3 or K-3ii if your budget will run to it, otherwise one of the K-5 series) - because of their robust construction and longer shutter life and because they don't suffer from the aperture block failure that can strike the entry models.

Don't feel the need to jump to a full-frame K-1 or K-1ii just because they are the top of the line. The APS-C models are very capable, new lenses for them are more affordable and generally lighter weight and you get a lot of bang for buck with an APS-C system.
11-20-2018, 04:18 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'm late to the party as usual, lots of good replies already, so I'll just say welcome to the forum.
11-24-2018, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Banned

if i could go back in time, i would buy a k-3 or kp in lieu of saving $200 on the ol' k-5... the k-5 is great, but it is a bit of a potato after black friday 2018.
11-26-2018, 04:21 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome to the forum

yes it is possible, if they are Pentax

check out this info

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".

Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.

. . . Conclusion

A, F, FA and D FA lenses work on all Pentax bayonet cameras ever produced. Exceptions: 1) A lenses do not work on the MZ-60/ZX-60, 2) the D FA 100mm F2.8 WR and newer D FA lenses have no aperture ring which restricts their use on some film cameras.

FA J, DA and DA L lenses only work on cameras which can control the aperture (since these lenses have no aperture ring).

DA lenses should only be used on cameras with an APS-C sized sensor (16 x 24 mm) with the exception of the DA*200mm F2.8, DA*300mm F4, and DA 560mm F5.6, which can also be used on 24 x 36mm full-frame cameras.

DA lenses having the KAF4 mount only works on cameras which can control the aperture electronically (K-50, K-S1, K-3 and newer).

M and K lenses work on all cameras except the MZ/ZX-30, MZ/ZX-50 and MZ/ZX-6. They work with limitations on the *ist film camera. They work with stop-down metering on the *ist D series and K series digital SLRs provided that a custom function is set appropriately.

for more info on Pentax Cameras and lens that might be useful to you, first go up to " Cameras " then " reviews " and " lenses " then " Reviews " and check them out

second what is your intended use?
Thanks for the information..my camera is starting to lag and its becoming real slow and no longer a joy.

I mainly take photos of my kids a swimming events so want a faster reaction time. alot of my photos are also family events and kids perfomance where a flash is not allowed so i want a higher iso in my new camera

many thanks

Silvia
11-26-2018, 04:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
Any Pentax DSLR will do.

You didn't say what lenses you have, but any K mount lens will fit any Pentax camera with varying levels of functionality. Super Taks work with an adapter (probably same as the K-200D.)

Full frame K-1 or K-1 II. You should be able to get a good deal on the K-1, the K-1ii is the current standard.

The K-70 is the best deal right now, the K-P is the most advanced in most areas. The K-3ii is the flagship model but is close to being replaced.

There older APS-c that would still be a huge upgrade to your K200D, K-30 and K-50, but both have known mechanical issues you might have to deal with, that could lead to a higher failure rate in those cameras, although there's never been any kind of solid statistical analysis supporting that. We just know a lot of people reported problems and a lot of people didn't. But buying second hand you'd have to be sure you didn't buy a failing camera, with those models. I'd stick with the flagship models in the used section.
Hi
with my K200D I bought the following lenses
PENTAX 18-55 II smc pentax DA
PENTAX 55-300 smc penta
11-26-2018, 04:31 AM   #13

Original Poster
Any Pentax DSLR will do.

Hi
with my K200D I bought the following lenses
PENTAX 18-55 II smc pentax DA
PENTAX 55-300 smc pentax DA
TAMRON SP AF2.8-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD aSPHERICAL (IF) MACRO model a09p for pentax...this one i recently bought for low light situations but this not happy with my photo so its time to upgrade my camera.
11-26-2018, 04:40 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome from another Australian.

You've already got some great potted summaries from Normhead.

If you want more detailed suggestions, it would help if you provide more information. What sort of things do you want to shoot? What gear do you have already? New or used? Budget? Are you looking for another compact model like the K200D, or something more hefty? Any other special requirements?

My first digital camera was a K100D. I loved it but when I got a K-30 in 2013 (after 6 years with the K100D) I found it could do many things I couldn't do with the K100D. It had a host of extra features (e.g. video, live view, weather-resistance), could do much higher ISO and the 16mp sensor allowed a lot more scope for cropping. Things have come along a lot since then too, but the developments have been more incremental. You would find any of the 16mp cameras or later a big jump from the K200D.

If you are looking to buy new, wait for the next sale from Pentax Australia or dcxpert (dcxpert | eBay Stores). They have periodic sales of 15% or 20% off. Don't buy from a grey imports supplier, because you won't have the manufacturer's warranty.

If second-hand is OK, be careful with Gumtree and the like. Although I've had good results buying there, you are on your own. The PF marketplace is a safer place to buy. If buying used I'd suggest a flagship model (K-3 or K-3ii if your budget will run to it, otherwise one of the K-5 series) - because of their robust construction and longer shutter life and because they don't suffer from the aperture block failure that can strike the entry models.

Don't feel the need to jump to a full-frame K-1 or K-1ii just because they are the top of the line. The APS-C models are very capable, new lenses for them are more affordable and generally lighter weight and you get a lot of bang for buck with an APS-C system.
Hi
I will be buying new just trying to find a good deal. I really need a good iso on the camera for low light situations such as school plays etc where a flash is not allowed,
My kids to a lot of sport especially swimming so i want a fast reaction to get those great action photos..something my currant camera is struggling with. Was a great camera while the kids where small but my needs have now changed.

My current lenses are SMC PENTAX DA 55-300mm ED
SMC PENTAX DA 18-55 II
TAMRON SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR DI for pentax. this one i bought recently for low light situations.

thanks for your help
11-27-2018, 11:11 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will be buying new just trying to find a good deal. I really need a good iso on the camera for low light situations such as school plays etc where a flash is not allowed,My kids to a lot of sport especially swimming so i want a fast reaction to get those great action photos..something my currant camera is struggling with. Was a great camera while the kids where small but my needs have now changed.My current lenses are SMC PENTAX DA 55-300mm EDSMC PENTAX DA 18-55 IITAMRON SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR DI for pentax. this one i bought recently for low light situations.
OK Silvia, that's a good indication.

Since you are looking at a new camera, you have three current choices: K-1ii, KP and K-70. (You might find a new K-S2 or K-3ii somewhere in Australia, even though they are discontinued, but I haven't seen one for a competitive price. We'll put them aside for the moment.)

The K-1ii is a full-frame camera - that is, it has a bigger sensor (36mm x 24mm) and is bigger and heavier in the body. The other two models are APS-C - that is, it has the same size sensor as your K200D (roughly 24mm x 16mm), but with 24 million pixels rather than the 10 million pixels on the K200D.

Here's a detailed comparison of the K-1ii, KP and K-70:
Pentax K-1 II vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Each of these cameras will have much better high-ISO performance than the K200D. The K-1ii and the K-P are outstanding.

The K-1ii is quite expensive (list price $A2600) and way overkill for your needs.

The K-70 would be quite sufficient, but the KP is a much more advanced camera. The KP will give you an extra stop or so of acceptable ISO compared to the K-70 (which itself is no slouch). See this discussion by one of our members, comparing the KP and K-70: https://breakfastographer.wordpress.com/2017/02/11/pentax-kp-vs-k-70-high-iso-noise/ This comparison is at a ridiculously high ISO just to make the point, but the comparison should hold at more realistic levels like 6400 ISO.

Normally there's a big price difference between the K-70 and the KP: around $A900 v $A1400, body only. But Pentax Australia are selling the KP (body only) for only $A999 at present (Ricoh Imaging | Digital SLR). That's only $100 more than the K-70, and the KP is a much better camera. It's a great deal. I think the choice is simple.

The Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 will cover you for the school concerts.

The DA 55-300 f4-5.8 should do you for the swimming. Its resolution is pretty good, but the autofocus is a bit slow and noisy.

If you want a telephoto lens with really fast and quiet autofocus, take a look at this one:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
(It's known as the PLM, because it has a Pulse Lens Motor for autofocus.) There's a whole thread about the PLM lens here: HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - Show us what it can do, what it CAN'T! - PentaxForums.com

It's on sale for $512 here: Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Lens | eBay (Use the code PUDDING at checkout for the 10% discount.) Sale expires tomorrow (29 Nov). This seller is the ebay outlet of C R Kennedy, the official distributor of Pentax in Australia. They do have other sales from time to time, so don't despair if you miss this one.

The PLM won't work on your K200D (or any other pre-2013 model camera), but it will work on any new Pentax camera that you get.

I don't have a (human) swimming photo with the PLM, but this will give you an idea of how good the autofocus is.

Last edited by Des; 11-29-2018 at 11:07 PM.