Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #1

Hello from Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone,

My recently married wife and I who have recently discovered that we're pregnant decided to take the plunge and and pick up a good quality DSLR for all of life's trials and tribulations that are inevitable! My dad is a Pentax guy from way back and has an assortment of some really good lenses and unique lenses - so going Pentax was pretty much a no-brainer considering how good a reputation they have for backwards compatibility.

We picked up a K20D about 3 months ago and I've been trying to get better and better with it ever since. I'm hoping to get some pointers on how to get around certain issues I seem to have that my buddies don't - such as not being able to do bracketing shots without having to press the shutter button myself for each exposure. (and thus causing slight movement)

In addition to that I'm hoping to use this forum for some good insight into some product that I'll undoubtedly be looking to pick up - such is a better fully automatic lense than the one that came with my camera (a 15-55 I believe it is). A better tripod than the fossil my dad has lent me - and so on!

Also looking forward to some cool tips on how to create some unique effects as well!

Here's my flickr site as to some of my early shots - Flickr: Konos's Photostream

10-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.You should have no problem finding pentax equiptment here.
10-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club... Enjoyed a quick browse of your Flickr site. Beautiful area.

Feel free to post questions, images whatever.
10-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome Konos, there is a "Canajian" thread started by Peter, should you feel like posting something there. Whereabouts in the North are you.

Don't laugh at the "fossil" of a tripod you were lent, it's probably better than the "modern" tripods.

I would have to agree with you on the bracketing. It sucks big time, at least on the istD. I think it is the ONLY complaint I have. But what the heck, do it old-style.

And BTW, congrats on tying the knot and the future addition to the family.

10-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to bracket with your k20d (or k10d)

With your k20d, use the bracket mode.

1. With the camera turned on, press and hold the bracket button on the left side of the camera. It has 3 overlapping rectangles.
  2. Watch the top right LCD and with the front edial select [OFF], [3] or [5] exposures.
  3. With the rear edial select the bracketing interval.
  4. Press the shutter release to take the bracketed exposures
  5. With a k10d, I must hold the shutter release until all the shots have been taken.
That's all there is to that!
10-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

*waves* from Toronto
10-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
With your k20d, use the bracket mode.

1. With the camera turned on, press and hold the bracket button on the left side of the camera. It has 3 overlapping rectangles.
  2. Watch the top right LCD and with the front edial select [OFF], [3] or [5] exposures.
  3. With the rear edial select the bracketing interval.
  4. Press the shutter release to take the bracketed exposures
  5. With a k10d, I must hold the shutter release until all the shots have been taken.
That's all there is to that!
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I certainly have learned a lot the last couple of weeks!

As for the braketing mode Canada_Rockies - I was able to figure that much out. The problem comes where you have to hold the shutter release until all the shots have been taken. Its somewhat disheartening when my buddy wish his Canon G9 just pushes his button once with a 2 second time delay, removes his hands and clack, clack, clack, clack, clack go all 5 shots. I guess its just an excuse for me to pick up the remote!
10-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Konos Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I certainly have learned a lot the last couple of weeks!

As for the braketing mode Canada_Rockies - I was able to figure that much out. The problem comes where you have to hold the shutter release until all the shots have been taken. Its somewhat disheartening when my buddy wish his Canon G9 just pushes his button once with a 2 second time delay, removes his hands and clack, clack, clack, clack, clack go all 5 shots. I guess its just an excuse for me to pick up the remote!
For some reason I thought you had the k20d which only needs the single press. I also find the "hold it down" a bit annoying, but with the remote, I can just let 'er rip. I have the Remote F and it will even work Bulb.

[Edit] And I just looked at the top again, and you do have a k20d. In which case, you might simply need a firmware update to enable push once for all the shots.

10-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #9

Original Poster
I was just going to say, I do have the K20D - so it is available then in the 1.01 (I believe it is) firmware update? I don't recall that being listed in the "fix list" for that update. I shall install and give it a shot!
10-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Hi from Quebec!

Welcome to the forum.
10-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #11

Hey, another northerner! I'm from Sault Ste Marie. Funny coincidence, too -- I picked up my K100D because the point & shoot was just too slow to take pictures of our daughter as she runs all over the place.

Good to make your virtual acquaintance!