Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2018, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #1

Longtime Pentax Owner

Hi All...
Longtime Pentax owner here, going back to film cameras. My Pentax K50 recently developed the dark photo scenario, not very happy about it. I see Richo is having the 12 Days of "Holidays" sale, I'm hoping for a nice sale on the Pentax KP like the Black Friday sale I missed.
Any thought's on the reliability of the brand, never saw the K50 going south on me.
Thanks for your time
First post.........

12-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard! Glad you're here, sorry for the reason.

I've had (in digital) the following K100D (still working, took shots yesterday), K-x (sold off to buy K-r), K-r (sold), K-5 (sold), K-5IIs (shot with it a few minutes ago), and K-3 (used it this weekend and have 572 photos of the event up on Flickr). I've had one warranty issue in all that and it was for the battery grip for the K-5, which Pentax handled quickly and perfectly. I have a ton of old gear too and have had 8 film-era autofocus cameras that were DOA and 5 that are in working order that I've gotten (primarily for their lenses). So, I know Pentax gear can go bad but fortunately I've not had that with any of my dSLRs.
12-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to forum! Hope you get that deal on the KP.
12-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! I’ve shot with Pentax digital since the K10D, shooting portraits, weddings and events. I’ve found Pentax cameras to be extremely durable and have never had a failure. It can happen with any electronic item and there’s been quite a few reports of the solenoid failure in the K30 / K50, and it seems the issue may have been resolved in following cameras.

I hope you get the deal on the KP, I’m loving this little camera!

12-05-2018, 01:44 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!
There was a batch of K-50s and K-30s with that problem, but there are a batch of them that didn't experience that problem too. I'm still using my K-50 I bought almost two years ago and have had no such problems with it. I don't let it sit idle for months at a time though and from reading the problems others have had, that was one of the reasons it happened. Course there was also the serial number too. If it was a certain serial number, don't remember which now one that was, you wouldn't experience the ABF either. Perhaps my K-50 was in that batch. I keep my fingers crossed that's it.
I had a K-30 that had the problem, so I got the AA adapter and started using it, people tell me that's a temporary fix, but it's been working that way for two years now, first for me, and now for my daughter, when I gave her that camera.

I started out in Pentax with a K1000. Used film up until I joined here, and a year later bought my first digital, a K100D, then a K-x, then a K-30, then the K-50, another K-30 and now also own a K-5. Never had any other problems with the others, except the K-30 as I explained above.
12-05-2018, 04:22 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, unfortunate to hear of your K50 demise, I feel sure we might be able to encourage you perhaps to reinvest in Pentax.
12-05-2018, 04:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'd really like a Pentax upgrade from the K50..But reliability is a concern.

I appreciate everyone's reply, especially photolady95's. I can't say I've used my K50 daily, but it hadn't sat idly either. The serial # is 4814776, its all red, being a volunteer firefighter, my favorite color.

12-05-2018, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chiefifd Quote
I'd really like a Pentax upgrade from the K50..But reliability is a concern.

I appreciate everyone's reply, especially photolady95's. I can't say I've used my K50 daily, but it hadn't sat idly either. The serial # is 4814776, its all red, being a volunteer firefighter, my favorite color.
I wish I could remember which serial numbers were exempt from this ABF. But let me tell you this, my K-30 that had this problem, had 36,000 or more actuations on it when the problem occurred. I bought it used from forum member, which a shutter count of 23,000+ on it at the time of purchase.

And if it were my K-50, I'd give the adapter a try before chunking it in the bin. With the adapter you can still use all your lenses same as always.
12-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks, photolady95, I'll order one out today and give it a try!

Looks like a $30 part from B&H Photo...
12-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well, my wishes came thru, Richo's 12 Days of "Holidays" sale today Day 11 they put the Pentax KP back on sale at $699.95. I happened to check out the specials early today, and with some hesitation, I ordered the Pentax KP body from Richo.
Now the wait for it to be delivered.
Christmas came early for me.
12-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

good to hear

welcome to the forum

I hope you enjoy it
12-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Well, my wishes came thru, Richo's 12 Days of "Holidays" sale today Day 11 they put the Pentax KP back on sale at $699.95. I happened to check out the specials early today, and with some hesitation, I ordered the Pentax KP body from Richo.
Now the wait for it to be delivered.
Christmas came early for me.
Heckuva deal for that camera. Enjoy!
12-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #13

Original Poster
I can hardly wait for it, never really thought I would get it this year.

Anyone know how long shipping takes from the Richo products website to an address in the USA?
12-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I can hardly wait for it, never really thought I would get it this year.

Anyone know how long shipping takes from the Richo products website to an address in the USA?
Congratulations. Hard question. Its taken as little as a week and as long as 5-6 months. They did eventually honor all the deals but it took a while on the 55-300 deal. Good luck.
12-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.