Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2018, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New and soon to be Pentax owner.

Hi Guys/Gals,
New to forum and soon to be a Pentaxian, I am stoked.
Having to always want to learn about imaging and photos I picked up a point and shoot under a year ago while it is still a good option to start I crashed face first into it's hardware/image limitations.

Stumbled on the KP black Friday deal for the KP when I was considering the k-70, now waiting for the amazon backorder to get the thing I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

Being frugal and liking the images I was seeing I ordered a Tair-3s to pair it with, no other 300mm glass was remotely in y price range, I stumbled into an unissued/unused kit and snatched it up. Found a Zenit stock elsewhere to go with it also.
The adaptor since I ordered an actual Pentax one cost a bit, but was going to be hard pressed putting a cheap off brand ring into my new camera body.

For street/daily stumbled into sigma 18-50 f3.5 at B&H new for 35 bucks. metal instead of plastic for the mount.

I think I did ok for my first foray into interchangeable lens bodies.

12-05-2018, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your purchases!

I have no doubt you'll love the KP. As for the the Tair-3S, it's a very fine 300mm lens. You'll want to work in live view mode to ensure accurate focus, and the very simple focusing mechanism can feel a little rough depending on the condition of the toothed focusing rack. It's worth getting a thread adapter too so you can mount the lens on a tripod if required.

As a collector of Soviet lenses, I implore you to leave the aperture mechanism electronic link cable in place rather than chopping it off, just in case you should ever sell it. You won't need that cable for use with your camera, but it's really best to keep the lens in original condition

Looking forward to your involvement here
12-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool for the thread adaptor advice.
Saw an image of someone mounting a mini tripod on the gunstock mount, have been considering doing the same but for my tripod I already have for the quick release.
Honestly not sure of the shutter release cable but would be insanely usable if it works for the KP also or a way to adapt it.

As far as lenses had to consider if the amazon price/deal for the camera went south I could afford the full price on the body.
12-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
Kind regards,
Mark

12-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

don't forget the forum's market place if you are looking for equipment

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com
12-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome and good to see you go for the KP, it is a great piece of gear with amazing capabilities.
12-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. With a big old lens like the Tair-3s a tripod or monopod is going to be your friend.

12-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome you will love your KP. Come here with all your questions.
12-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I am loving the KP I purchased a few months ago. I'm sure you will too.
12-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
Forum Member

Welcome. You won't go wrong with the KP. Image quality is exceptional and often jpegs straight ootc are all you need. The ability to customize functions is more than any other camera I've had. One thing I found (at least for my hand) it is far more comfortable with the biggest of the interchangeable hand grips. Better for larger lens too
12-05-2018, 11:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome and congrats on your new stuff! The KP is an excellent camera and you can utilize a lot of manual vintage glass or some of the recent DAs with it! We are waiting for some images when you get your equipment ;-)
12-06-2018, 02:17 AM   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums and the select (although quite large) band of Pentax owners. I am sure you will find the Forums a useful source of information.
12-06-2018, 02:18 AM   #13
Closed Account

Welcome aboard.
12-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all this new kit once you gets hands on.
12-07-2018, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
WOOHOOO!! Just got notice my black Friday special on the 697 silver amazon special shipped!
They had stated it was not going to ship and get here until feb 1.

B&H ordered SIGMA 18-50/3.5-5.6 DC gets here also.
Adapter ring hit the front porch.

Zenit stock should be here Tuesday also.
Tair 3s noticed it has the cable cut but not going to worry to much about that for now. Missed getting a cheaper one for parts with cable. Might look at the brussels version also.