Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #1

Pentax K70 Not holding initial settings - date time etc

Hi there
I am a returning Pentaxian. I have owned many Pentax Cameras over the years, the last one being the K7. Then I was seduced by mirrorless cameras, Panasonic G5/G7 and Sony A6000. I traded in/sold all my Panasonic Gear and bought a Pentax K70 which arrived yesterday from SRS in the UK. I missed having an SLR for some types of photography and went back to Pentax as it has always been the best option in terms of quality and `bang for your buck` as they say. Weather proof cameras is also a big feature for me and I think The Pentax will compliment my Sony mirrorless system.
I took a few shots today and find the K70 fairly intuitive to use. The only negative I have with the camera is the autofocus is not great compared to the Sony and Panasonic G7 I had. Not to much of an issue when it it is mainly still landscapes I photograph and not action sports. The one thing that is INFURIATING about the camera is that it loses all the initial settings when you switch it off and back on. Is this a known issue with this camera or does anyone know how to fix this ?
I have upgraded the camera to the latest firmware,hoping that would fix it but to no avail!

12-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

don't have one but here is the user reviews and in depth review for the camera

Pentax K-70 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

good luck
12-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome to the forums

don't have one but here is the user reviews and in depth review for the camera

Pentax K-70 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

good luck
Thanks for the links I will have a look through them. I have noticed that there are not many what you would call in depth reviews/tips on how to get the best out of the camera o You Tube
12-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamesm55 Quote
Thanks for the links I will have a look through them. I have noticed that there are not many what you would call in depth reviews/tips on how to get the best out of the camera o You Tube
lots of friendly members here willing to give advice

especially on how you should spend your money

12-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi there
I am a returning Pentaxian. I have owned many Pentax Cameras over the years, the last one being the K7. Then I was seduced by mirrorless cameras, Panasonic G5/G7 and Sony A6000. I traded in/sold all my Panasonic Gear and bought a Pentax K70 which arrived yesterday from SRS in the UK. I missed having an SLR for some types of photography and went back to Pentax as it has always been the best option in terms of quality and `bang for your buck` as they say. Weather proof cameras is also a big feature for me and I think The Pentax will compliment my Sony mirrorless system.
I took a few shots today and find the K70 fairly intuitive to use. The only negative I have with the camera is the autofocus is not great compared to the Sony and Panasonic G7 I had. Not to much of an issue when it it is mainly still landscapes I photograph and not action sports. The one thing that is INFURIATING about the camera is that it loses all the initial settings when you switch it off and back on. Is this a known issue with this camera or does anyone know how to fix this ?
I have upgraded the camera to the latest firmware,hoping that would fix it but to no avail!
The camera has an internal capacitor which will remember the settings for a moderate period of time while there's no battery inside the camera. If the K-70 you bought had been sitting on SRS's shelves for a while, it's possible the capacitor lost its initial charge.

The easiest course of action, in my opinion, would be to ask for a replacement camera. Once you get it, ensure that you always leave a charged battery inside the camera when not in use, and then it should be able to remember your settings virtually indefinitely. Alternatively, after a while your current camera's capacitor should charge itself up - just be sure to always keep a charged battery when you store it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The only negative I have with the camera is the autofocus is not great compared to the Sony and Panasonic G7 I had. Not to much of an issue when it it is mainly still landscapes I photograph and not action sports. The one thing that is INFURIATING about the camera is that it loses all the initial settings when you switch it off and back on. Is this a known issue with this camera or does anyone know how to fix this ?
Interesting comment about the AF, especially when comparing the K-70's AF to an "older & slower" Panasonic body with DFD contrast AF. Hopefully Ricoh gives the upcoming Pentax bodies a major AF overhaul & gives us some more faster focusing lenses too.

The K-70 losing its settings sounds like a manufacturing issue. This is not a common thing. Could be that the internal capacitor is either loose or faulty. That or something similar. You might want to try exchanging it for another one.

Do'h! Adam beat me to the punch before I hit the submit button. Hahaha!
12-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to invest in this detailed user guide since it's a wealth of information. I purchased one for each of my cameras.

Pentax eBooks all 40% off! - PentaxForums.com
12-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the OP and others might want to check this offer out first

For a $57 contribution to PF, your account will be upgraded to include:
Loyal Site Supporter designation
Unlimited attachment space on the forum
Unlimited Pentax Forums marketplace access for personal & commercial sales
Free Pentax DSLR eBook each year (new K-1 and KP models included!)*
Attach photos in PMs
Space for 10,000 photos in the albums & 500 photos in the gallery
Images in signatures
10,000 PM inbox
Custom user title
No banner ads
Access to member-only forum content & special T-shirt deals

Read more at: Holiday Special Loyal Site Supporter Upgrade 2018 - PentaxForums.com

Adam just posted the special continues until 12/26

12-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
JamesM55

If settings are not remembered then it may be that these are un checked in camera menu 5 under MEMORY
12-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
If settings are not remembered then it may be that these are un checked in camera menu 5 under MEMORY
This.
12-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The one thing that is INFURIATING about the camera is that it loses all the initial settings when you switch it off and back on. Is this a known issue with this camera or does anyone know how to fix this ?
Welcome to the Pentax forums. If this is a known problem, owners are being very quiet about it. You may want to contact the seller for a replacement.

Steve
12-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, has the problem resolved itself with leaving charged batteries in the camera?
02-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
Forum Member

I have the K-70. You can save many of your user settings which are saved when you switch off the camera, see page 113 of the user's manual, or on the camera: page 5 of the 'camera (pic)' menu.