Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Greetings from Spamtown (Austin, MN) USA

Making a formal intro though I did join a couple of months ago. I've been impressed with everyone with whom I've interacted; this is a top notch community. I have this community to thank for my used (new to me) K1 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, and a few other items. Lots to learn. The K1 book from these forums should certainly help!

On a side note, we're headed to St. Louis tomorrow. Anyone know of some good photography hot spots that could be shared?
Thanks!

12-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Well done on picking up those fine tools from the marketplace. You'll enjoy your photographic assignments with them.
All the best.
12-26-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. You will certainly get some good info and make some good friends here.
12-26-2018, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #4

Unfortunately the Gateway Arch and Old Courthouse are closed due to the government shutdown, but lots of interesting angles to shoot around the Arch from the ground. The City Museum is an awesome place to visit with a lot of photo opportunities. The International Photography Hall of Fame near St. Louis University and the Fabulous Fox theater are worthwhile. Forest Park has a ton of photogenic spots. Art Hill, the zoo, Steinberg skating rink, and the history museum would be great candidates for good shots.

12-26-2018, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

you might want to try to contact monochrome via pm

he lives in the St. Louis area and he might have other suggestions

the zoo in St. Louis does not charge a fee but parking might be a problem

they appear to have a light show going on now ??

Home | Saint Louis Zoo
12-26-2018, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forum. Cahokia is across the river from St.Louis. It is a large archaeological site with several big earth pyramids which and housed more than 30 thousand people at its height.
12-26-2018, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard. I was in Austin once. I helped move a friend there to work for a snow mobile magazine. Years later being able to laugh about being at the home of spam got me out of a fight in Nottingham. The guy was in my face about Americans being spam. He liked my reply and he warmed up to me.
12-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago!

You have a lot of parks and preserves up that way, you'll have plenty of outdoor photography opportunities.

12-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Welcome aboard. I was in Austin once. I helped move a friend there to work for a snow mobile magazine. Years later being able to laugh about being at the home of spam got me out of a fight in Nottingham. The guy was in my face about Americans being spam. He liked my reply and he warmed up to me.
Now that's funny! I actually work for Hormel. I once reset some programming on the wrong AS/400 and shut down spam production for about 45 minutes. Oops.

Thanks everyone for the greeting and for the suggestions. The weather here has been poor since we got here, but I'm hoping the next couple days will be at least not rainy.
12-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We used to camp at the Whitewater State Park every year, then the tradition fizzled out a bit. Now that kids are grown, maybe we'll start again...
I know a few people in Hormel's R&D group.
01-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure there must still be some original shots left with that "Arch" thing still to be taken.