Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #1

Greeting from Paradise!

Here's my sad story..at one time, like most of DSLR folks who grew up with manual cameras, I played with a Yashica my father had and a Nikon a friend of mine lent me to use shooting the school annual; I was hooked! My shooting gear became the venerable Pentax K1000 and the semi-automated ME Super for over 20 years. One day the walls came down, wet labs were being shut down and the cost of film, processing, and printing seemed outrageous to the cost of memory cards. There would be no more inhaling the various chemicals anymore in the dark room or seekign the perfection of the B/W print. Everything changed overnight, it was a sad transition as I saw the old timers who mentored us with sadness in their eyes. Like many of the young, I adapted to digital cameras and bought into the hype of Nikon DSLR's. For a time it was new and like everything at that time, instant gratification became the mantra, patience and practice was for the old.

There was much learning about manipulating photos using a mouse and computer program. I fel the only advantage of digital cameras was the fact that getting rid of dust and scratches was the bomb! Though I got pretty good at 'fixing' these small issue's, people used it to manipulate their photos to make it look better than it should. Printers weren't as good and very expensive keeping most of us out of the game unless we won the lottery. I saw photos digitally manipulated and were technically perfect but it lacked what Ansel Adams said, the raw emotion of the moment. He would rather look at an out of focus photo with emotions than an empty but perfect photo. In my minds 'eye' something was terribly missing and it took me many years to find that out.

As the years went by, I became dependent on autofocus and VR to stead my hands and my failing eyesight. For the last couple years I began to shoot in full manual and tripod or monopod with my Nikon D7100 by purchasing vintage lenses. This was my way of getting back to my roots and wrest back control of my creativity from an automated piece of machinery. I will be keeping my Nikon for the present but am bidding on a Spotmatic and have already purchased a Pentax KX SLR off of ebay. For some reason I kept my 135mm 2.8 lens and 50mm 2.0 for over 20 years maybe hoping for one the day I go back to the basics. How funny is the story a friend told me about Ansel Adams (he actually went to three workshops with Ansel). One day he saw a mountain and it was beautiful. Time passed and he saw the mountain again but it wasn't the same. More time passed and he then said, it looks like the mountain he first saw many years before. I guess we all go through this transformation only to come full circle and for other people, the realization that digital aint all that

12-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
12-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to PF. Hope to seem more of your musings on the board.
12-31-2018, 01:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome aboard!
Thanks for the welcome, I will soon post some old photos that are over 20 years old. I used a Nikon scanner to digitize my negatives but didn't have th patience to do more.

12-31-2018, 01:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
I found this one pretty quick. There are two negatives, the one of the hand was laid down first for a few seconds and the sun and mountains on top of it for the rest. It took some time, years if I'm not mistaken, before I had the gained the knowledge of chemicals, paper, and time to make sense of it. It was Christmas 1988, Elmadag Turkey, 9,000 feet up, and looking down into the valley below us. I had to keep my K1000 in my jacket because the temperature was something like 10 degrees with the wind. The photo of the sun at that time in the morning did not look like this but the negative told me different.
Attached Images

12-31-2018, 02:32 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forum

I, too, grew up with a dad who used a Yashica 35mm SLR

unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to do anything with it except put the strap behind my neck any time I was politely asked to get it for him.

I grew up with the instruction: " The strap was purchased for a purpose, don't pick up a camera without putting the strap behind your neck. "

[ I have deleted a word or too to make the language suitable for a " G " rating ]

words I live by today
12-31-2018, 05:00 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager

Good to have you here and thanks for sharing your background. Enjoy this forum.
01-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madhawaiian Quote
Greeting from Paradise!
Welcome to the forum and I was about to ask which part of Scotland are you're in yersel?

01-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hey Kerrowdown, you are a funny person! According to your photo, your island is water surrounded by land and mine is land being surrounded by water, hmmm, I'm good with that. Someone told me there would be more than a single reality happening so it must be one of those times hahahaha. Hope to see more of your photos, I'd like to see what the Highlans are all about instead of what are in movies!

---------- Post added 01-01-19 at 08:24 PM ----------

Hi Aslyfox, the Yashica my dad has was a fixed lens but I didn't know any of that at the time. When he let me use it, he made sure that one, I had my own film and two, I covered the cost to process it. Like any other hobby, it costs to play. I did a lot of developing at school and rolled my own hahaha to keep the costs down and that's where a friend of mine let me use a Nikon, one of many, his grandfather gave him. I've been hooked ever since.