Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, Peter.

We make our new normal from the raw materials and dreams at our disposal. We're glad to have you here, as part of making your new normal. I think you'll like it here.

I follow the materials sciences (or part of that varied world) with enthusiasm, the world is changing quickly - let's make it change for the better.

01-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome here Peter, and wonderful to see someone passionate about revitalising the classic cameras and lenses of old. They are gems that live on even beyond all the modern day equipment that will age and die. Glad to have you on board. May your future be always brighter than your past. Look forward to your contributions.
01-03-2020, 01:49 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
Hi Peter,
I read your sad story, I'm so sorry for your parents.
were they born more than 100 years ago?
The Russian Empire ceased to exist more than 100 years ago.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant Stalin's empire, the Sovietunion.

---------- Post added 01-03-20 at 01:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome here Peter, and wonderful to see someone passionate about revitalising the classic cameras and lenses of old. They are gems that live on even beyond all the modern day equipment that will age and die. Glad to have you on board. May your future be always brighter than your past. Look forward to your contributions.
Thank you Ash, sorry for the belated response. Thank you for your welcome and hope this year I can really post about my cameras and stories.

---------- Post added 01-03-20 at 01:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome, Peter.

We make our new normal from the raw materials and dreams at our disposal. We're glad to have you here, as part of making your new normal. I think you'll like it here.

I follow the materials sciences (or part of that varied world) with enthusiasm, the world is changing quickly - let's make it change for the better.
Hi TER-OR, thank you for your welcome.
01-03-2020, 02:27 AM   #19

Original Poster
So dear Pentaxians, this year I'd like to really start posting what I have. I'm yet uncertain about using the forum, managing the photos etc. Not sure where to post my Pentax history, so I start here and kindly ask your help as where and how to carry on. My oldest Pentax is an S1a with Takumar 1:2/55. This camera did not have internal light meter. That time photographers used external meters, made different kinds of metering, got back to camera and set the aperture / exposure couple to their liking as read from the meter. For this camera Pentax made an external meter that was integrated with the camera somehow. The external meter is attached to the top of the camera. The meter has an exposure turn knob The meter locks to the eyepiece holder. A spring loaded stick stands out downwards from the meter's turn knob. The stick clicks into the camera's original turn knob and they lock together. From that point on the photographer set the exposure by turning the meter's knob (locked to camera's). Turning exposure adjusted the scale on top of the meter. ISO/ASA value can be set on the meter which is operated by own battery. Aperture value reads directly from the meter and should be set manually on the aperture ring. I find this beautiful, my S1a and meter are in mint condition and I never part with them.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L29  Photo 
01-03-2020, 02:39 AM   #20

Original Poster
Skipping the screw mount era cameras and early K-mount ones I'd like to show this mint ME, one of the so small new era Pentax cameras. This one is narrow and little high, due to its then modern vertical, electronically fired shutter.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L29  Photo 
01-03-2020, 02:54 AM   #21

Original Poster
Staying with the redesigned small K bayonet era, this is the king of my collection (I don't have LX). Asahi Pentax MX was a real workhorse. Among the small cameras MX was a little wide and wery low one thanks to the horizontal, mechanically released and timed shutter. This was a fully mechanical cameras with superb tricks like aperture value projected to the finder through a separate prism subsystem. Exposure value was also projected to the viewfinder through a tricky mechanism that mirrored the exposure dial to the other side just to be seen right. Manual said (numbers not accurate) this camera was made for you to make perfect pictures from -20 to + 50 degrees Celsius. If you need to photograph in different circumstances just visit our service where lubrication will be replaced to appropriate one.

Sorry for the poor mobile phone photos made in poor indoor light. Once I find my place in this forum and know if and how post my stories I'll make proper photos.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VTR-L29  Photo 
01-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You've got some nice samples there. You may want to start a new thread in a more appropriate forum? Film camera's or perhaps General Photography?

01-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!
01-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!
01-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Another welcome from Australia
01-06-2020, 02:31 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vmax911 Quote
You've got some nice samples there. You may want to start a new thread in a more appropriate forum? Film camera's or perhaps General Photography?
Thank you for the compliment. You are right, I don't know where and how to carry on now. Fallen out from Pentax world for almost two weeks. Any advices more than welcome.

---------- Post added 01-06-20 at 02:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Welcome!
Thank you for your welcome, hello from Budapest!

---------- Post added 01-06-20 at 02:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Welcome to the forums!
Thank you mate, greetings from Central Europe!

---------- Post added 01-06-20 at 02:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
Another welcome from Australia
Hi VILLAINofOZ, worried greetings! Hope you are safe and all your country get cooled down and reborn soon.
01-06-2020, 05:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Hi Peter, welcome from Guatemala.... it's great to have you here, thanks for sharing your story
01-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
01-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums. Nice collection of classic cameras you got.
01-08-2020, 07:00 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Peter, and thank you for sharing. I pray that you will be around for long to participate in this community.