Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a Hello

Hi Everyone!

New Member, old guy (a month short of 75 yrs old). Live in Queensland, Australia.

Had a Pentax K2 back in early 1970s, with a 50mm 1.4, a 45-123mm zoom, a 400mm 5.6.

Loved it.

Bought a Shoulder Rest type gadget for shooting with the 400mm (shot a few model airplanes in flight with that setup!)

Birds, insects, flowers my main photographical interest.

The Original gear was stolen, the K2 no longer available, so went to an ME, with a 28mm wide-angle, 50mm Macro, an 80mm, and a 200mm telephoto lens -all Pentax. Also a Pentax set of 3 extension tubes, and a Pentax Bellows and slide copier Kit. Still have all this equipment - camera and lenses have been sitting in its aluminum case for some 35+ yrs unused.

Then from about 1982 until now, left photography alone.

Bought a K50 just before Christmas via a Gumtree find, came with an 18-55mm Af (Pentax), a 135mm Pentax non-AF, and a Sigma AF 100-300mm. Had my heart set on a K70, but the budget would not allow buying a brand new one, and 2nd hand K70s seem to be as rare as hen's teeth here in Queensland, Australia.

Here is my newly acquired gear (with carry case) with my old Pentax 200mm added

Have figured out how to use the old legacy lenses with the K50, but having issues with manual focusing (damn, but I miss that centre microprism focus in the K2. Hated the split image focus of the ME and the plain screen of the K50 does not give the certainty of in-focus that you got when the central microprism of the K2 suddenly "popped" and you knew you had it!!)

A friend suggested I use my (Distance) spectacles instead of just my naked eye (after adjusting the viewfinder adjustment with specs on) and that has helped, plus purchased a pentax 1.2 viewfinder magnifier, which has helped marginally.

Will seriously look at buying a replacement focus mirror with a central microprism from Focusing Screen.Com when I come back from a 12 day ship cruise in February.

So

Very disappointed to find the K50 body will not fit on the Bellows kit - was looking forward to copying some of my old slides. Need to find a way to use the slide copier without the bellows kit.

Well, that's me!!

Will probably be popping up with all sorts of questions to help me adjust from (decades old memories of) film photography to the complexity of options and settings on digital SLRs.

Cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
R7sf  Photo 
01-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Queenslander.
Hope you enjoy this fine forum.
A wealth of knowledge and experience here.
You've got a capable kit, and although not great for MF, you can make it so you will get good results with your 200mm.
Harder to nail focus with a 400mm manually, but patience is key!
Enjoy and welcome again.
01-08-2019, 12:22 AM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, and welcome from Melbourne.
01-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back to photography and to Pentax Forum!

01-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, many here use older glass myself included...