Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
6x7 MLU matters?

Hi everybody, I going to get into 6X7 format photography and I already own a 75mm f4.5 SMC Pentax lens and I think that would be my first 6x7 lens to get photos with. due to the wideness of the lens for this format, do you thing having mirror lock up feature matters? because the ones without MLU are significantly cheaper and you can get a mint condition of them with the cost of a "good condition" MLU one on ebay. any idea?

01-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on your shooting style.

If you're only going to shoot hand held in daylight with fast shutter speeds, then MLU is probably not necessary.

If you're doing any low light, long exposures or want lots of DOF, then MLU is a must as it will reduce movement during slower shutter speeds. A tripod is also a must.

Phil.
01-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

I haven't used the Pentax 67 in particular, but I shoot a lot of MF and I would agree with the above - if you are working handheld, you've got bigger factors than mirror slap that will be impacting your image. If you are working on a tripod and after the absolute peak possible performance, I think it is a good thing to have.

I've never seen someone actually show a side-by-side of the same images taken with and without MLU. I kind of suspect that, even if visible, it wouldn't be so until you were hitting pretty big enlargements.
01-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and it's what he said.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It depends on your shooting style.

04-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
I got finally a Pentax 6x7 MLU. I have a quick question, when you push the mirror up button is there any way to send it back down without releasing the shutter?