Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #1

New Member and a ?

Hi. New member.

I am a hobbyist at best who got a jolt of excitement with a move to a fuji xe3 camera.
One of the great things about mirrorless is it's ability to easily adapt old lenses.
I am adapting my old Nikon D AF lenses, though the balance is way off with my bigger lenses.
And I'm getting my father's old manual nikkor gear from him soon. I'm excited to adapt those as well.

In any case, as you might expect, I've started in on adapting old pentax lenses.
Just one for now.
I got a 135mm f3.5 takumar smc. This lens has been widely popularized on Youtube. I know. one of these noobs fooling around on youtube.
Anyway, I'm excited to try this on my xe3. Lens is totally different than anything I have ever had.
and I joined the forum to ask a question about this lens and hopefully others in the future.

I bought one from japan without a hood and a non original pinch type front cap that will barely hang on. It is a 49mm cap.
I bought it because the pictures and description of the glass was what I wanted. No fungus, no scratches. Just wanted a nice copy.
Anyway, I find that the filter thread is almost nonexistent and that is why the pinch cap barely hangs on . And I tired to screw on a 49mm B&W UV filter to protect the vintage glass, but it cannot be screwed on.
I've looked at pictures of different 135mm f3.5 online and some have barely any thread like mine and some have a normal amount of filter threads.

So, my question is...
Is my copy altered or did some just come this way?
attached is a quick jpg from my old iphone.

Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
01-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. The name ring with the printing on it looks like it is not screwed in all the way. It too uses the filter threads. A rubber cone lens tool would fix that in about 10 seconds. If you screw the name ring in further you should solve your problem.

Usually what that means is that someone has cleaned and lubricated the lens beyond merely wiping down the exterior.
01-11-2019, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Nice lens!

You can find information and a couple of definitive pictures of your lens here at Pentax Forums: S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

As mentioned by @Docrwm, it looks like the lens name ring has not been fitted into the lens. To find out how to resolve it, Google something like "takumar lens remove name ring" or "screw in name ring". Although it's best to use a proper rubber 'tool', various other ad hoc tools will work, for example a sink stopper plug having the right diameter. Be careful not to touch or scratch the front glass with the device.

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-11-2019 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
01-11-2019, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What Docrwm said. Adding that if you can not touch the lens and screw it you should be fine. I have used 2 pencil erasers to press down and turn while holding the lens between my legs. Just be careful nothing slips.

01-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
wow.
thanks for the info.

So helpful!
01-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by musefound Quote
wow.
thanks for the info.

So helpful!
Hope that works for you and you get to enjoy some great old glass on your new camera. A lot of us use old Pentax Manual Focus lenses on our modern Pentax dSLRs. Some of my favorite photographs have been taken with "old" glass on my "new" cameras. Welcome again.
01-11-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

@musefound, Here's another bit of advice: be careful not to tighten the name ring if it's cross-threaded -- it should screw in fairly loosely up to the point when it starts to snug in normally near the bottom end of the threads. Near the start of the threads, the ring should not bind and you shouldn't need to apply much force with your tool. Don't over-tighten the ring when it has has been fully seated.

C'mon back and let us know how you got on with the fix, and please do show some images taken with the lens on your X-E3. You might already know about the Takumar 'lens club' here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/31601-takumar-club-1070.html
01-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
Took a good look at the lens just now.

The name plate seems to be sitting very snugly on the lens.

Just like the pic on the lens database. I attached the forum pic.

So, I don't think the plate has anywhere to go. It's just that there are only one or two threads above the name plate.

I wonder if during reassembly after cleaning, it did not go quite correctly and everything is not fitting quite like it should.

I was able to mount and focus and take pictures with it. The Aperture ring works well.
I had to fuss with the adapter a bit, but I got it to mount correctly on the Fuji.

I might take it to a local camera repair man who seems honest. Though I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a lens that was rather cheap.
It is built like a tank and I do want to use it though...

Attached Images

01-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by musefound Quote
Took a good look at the lens just now.

The name plate seems to be sitting very snugly on the lens.

Just like the pic on the lens database. I attached the forum pic.

So, I don't think the plate has anywhere to go. It's just that there are only one or two threads above the name plate.

I wonder if during reassembly after cleaning, it did not go quite correctly and everything is not fitting quite like it should.

I was able to mount and focus and take pictures with it. The Aperture ring works well.
I had to fuss with the adapter a bit, but I got it to mount correctly on the Fuji.

I might take it to a local camera repair man who seems honest. Though I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a lens that was rather cheap.
It is built like a tank and I do want to use it though...
I see what you are saying.

I'm not familiar with that lens, but maybe it was put back together wrong and reversed an element, or didn't fully seat one of the elements in the outer group.

Also, welcome to Pentax Forums!
6 Days Ago   #10
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. You have a nice lens and some good advice there. The name ring should definitely screw in further. I would try unscrewing it first, just to make sure it is not cross-threaded. If, as @Riggomatic suggests, something has been assembled incorrectly so it won't screw in, that is more of a problem. If you check the schematics for that lens in the lens database here, you will see that there is not much scope for reversing an element. I think the name ring is likely to be the issue - or the front element is not seated properly.
6 Days Ago   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums. You have a nice lens and some good advice there. The name ring should definitely screw in further. I would try unscrewing it first, just to make sure it is not cross-threaded. If, as @Riggomatic suggests, something has been assembled incorrectly so it won't screw in, that is more of a problem. If you check the schematics for that lens in the lens database here, you will see that there is not much scope for reversing an element. I think the name ring is likely to be the issue - or the front element is not seated properly.
Thanks for the input guys.
I think I will take it to a repairman when I get a chance.
I don't want to buy a repair tool that may or may not work well.
I saw a youtube video where someone just easily spins the name plate off a different takumar lens with his fingers. Mine is not coming off with my fingers nor with pencil erasers.
I think it's time for someone more knowledgeable.
Now, when can I find some time...
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I made my own wrench out of a fruit cup (snack size) and black tape around the rim. But that was for the K 300mm

In case you are feeling adventurous.
6 Days Ago   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon f are easy because the rear lens cap is perfect size for the name plate.