Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #1

New Member from Arizona, USA

Hello:

My name is Scott, and although a long time amateur photographer, I'm new to the DSLR scene. I recently purchased a little used Pentax K-r kit for a bargain price, and this is my first Pentax. I've owned a few Canon film SLRs from the 80's, and have a Canon SX10iS, and a few other pocket digital cameras, but held out for a long time before getting a DSLR. I became interested in mirror-less cameras, but in the end decided that a DSLR, and specifically a Pentax DSLR will serve me best. I've read about the front focus issue that some report with the Pentax K-r, and hope that this doesn't effect my intended use of the camera outside, with a flash, or at night on manual for astrophotography. I've been reading a lot here lately, and have learned a lot in the process. This is a great forum.

01-13-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. I am not familiar with the K-r. Others will know more about how much of an issue front focus is with it. But if you are using the camera in manual mode (such as for astrophotography), it is not an issue.
01-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome PJ1. The front focus issue is reported to occur only under low light, and especially tungsten or low color temperature light. It's interesting that the Pentax K-r received glowing reviews when introduced, but the FF issue wasn't discovered until the camera was in the users hands. There is a lot of information on this forum regarding the issue, and the failure of Pentax to provide a solution. Unfortunately it appears to be a hardware related defect, and something Pentax chose not to address other than discontinuing the model after a year. I understand that the company experienced a few changes of ownership during this period, and that probably effected their decision. I haven't received the camera yet, but look forward to using it.
01-13-2019, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have great skies for astro in Arizona. I spent a year there at U of A in 84-85 (half a lifetime ago!). We have some great memories of the place.

01-13-2019, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from a fellow Arizonan, Superdelsol! Find the K-r section and I am sure you will get lots of help with your camera.
01-14-2019, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
01-26-2019, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, it's good to know your finding the forum useful.