Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

New/Old Pentax User from Canada

Hi, I just purchased a white K-S2 DSLR. I used to do film photography with an old K-1000 that I bought nearly 40 years ago. Did some of my own darkroom stuff, but eventually switched to digital, though all I had were a series of ever improving point and shoots. My last one was a fuji 5 megapixel camera. The new DSLR is 1000 times better than that camera though. Just getting used to it, and love this forum already!

01-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard. Are you using any old lenses from your K1000 days?
01-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Frank. Lots of friendly help to be found here.
01-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. The K-S2 is a great start point but once you start experimenting with old lenses on it the fun will really begin.

01-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Frank. I've got a white K-S2 as well. It's a fun camera to use and people tend to find the white body less intimidating. Little do they know that it's a seriously capable camera! Enjoy the journey.
01-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Frank. I recently joined this group myself and have a similar background, and I am on the west coast of Canada. IF you still have them I think you will find shooting manual lenses on the K-S2 very rewarding - hoping to see some of your shots soon!
01-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Old Lenses

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I just bought a couple of vintage lenses, a 70-200 and a 28mm. Both had the dreaded Ricoh pin, which I removed after watching a couple of helpful videos on it. I am starting to use them. The 28mm one seems to be very sharp.

Any advice on a good vintage portrait lens?

Frank

01-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank29 Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I just bought a couple of vintage lenses, a 70-200 and a 28mm. Both had the dreaded Ricoh pin, which I removed after watching a couple of helpful videos on it. I am starting to use them. The 28mm one seems to be very sharp.

Frank
Portrait lens length was traditionally 70-150. I love my 85/1.4 and the runner up is my DA70 LTD. The 85 is manual focus, which is fine for portraits. The DA70Ltd is AF and better for portrait style candids.
01-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

I also use a K-S2, though mine is the desert beige version . It's a really nice camera with functions that I continue to discover.

On an APS-C camera a ~50mm lens will perform really nice for portraits, I have the K 55 f1.8 and find it wonderful, the M 50 f1.7 is perhaps the most popular piece of vintage glass in the forum so it should be good as well, they can be had for real cheap if you look in the marketplace here or ebay
01-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I just bought a couple of vintage lenses, a 70-200 and a 28mm. Both had the dreaded Ricoh pin, which I removed after watching a couple of helpful videos on it. I am starting to use them. The 28mm one seems to be very sharp.Any advice on a good vintage portrait lens?Frank
Someone started a thread about this not that long ago that I thought had some good information - take a look at this thread:

APSC Portrait Lens info - PentaxForums.com

I was recently playing around with a Super-Takumar f/2.8 105 mm that preformed much better than expected. With nothing but an overhead light it was able to capture this at ISO 25600, 1/30 of a sec somewhere near wide open:

">

I've acquired most of my vintage lenses by scouring local buy & sell sites online and on E-bay. I have used the lens reviews on this site to help me make some form of an informed decision on if the lens is worth the price. Also keep your eyes open for those local bulk lots that come by from time to time - I've gotten lucky and found some lenses that really shine this way.

I hope something I have said here is useful to you - good luck!
01-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax after a bit of a break...