Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 03:52 AM - 4 Likes   #1

New as new can be - and a bonus question!

Bless me father, for I have sinned. It's been.... Wait, wrong forum.

Hi, my name is Honor, it's been 2 days since... Nope, wrong forum again.

(singing)
QuoteQuote:
I went to the Moped Camera store, said **** it
Salesman's like what up, what's your budget?
And I'm like honestly, I don't know nothing about Mopeds Cameras
He said I got the one for you, follow me!
I wonder if there are any Macklemore listeners here... >.>;; That joke could fall seriously flat...

So, hi. My name is Honor. As you can doubtless tell, I'm a pain in the backside who thinks she's funny. I'm also almost as new to the concept of camera ownership as one can be. I've had a little Canon - what'd the call them, one shots? sure shots? Gut-shots? Anyway, that was years ago, and - you'll love this - the idea of it was to let me start to learn about f-stops and ISOs and all that arcane tomfoolery. And I did learn a little, and had a lot of fun, and I guess it served its purpose. Then phones became awesome cameras, and I use that a fair bit, I guess.

And now it's time for the Next Level. I'm kind of a maestro with Photoshop. That's how I make much of my income. I've also made so many websites it makes my soul hurt, and that's a landscape changing in ways I don't want to keep up in (I already know as much javascript and php as I want to know, thank you very much) and I'm lucky enough to have an opportunity to go back to school and learn something else I've wanted to do for a long time - video editing, 3D/VFX, motion graphics - but couldn't take time to learn, because people kept handing me money to build them websites.

Bored yet?

So, I found a good program and started taking classes. Jr college, and older than some of my professors, let alone the other students. Hi-larious, lemme tell ya. >.>;;

Well, this next semester, I've got a photography class, so it's time to buy a camera. I do a ton of research, ask every camera person I know, and eventually, narrow it down to the Canon T7i or the Nikon 5600. Then I ask everyone I know again (who sees what post on Facebook is effectively random- well, really, it's based on some very complex algorithms and traffic patterns, but effectively random, for human purposes) and this time my brother sees it, and says no, no, no, grasshopper - you need a Pentax, is what you need. So I heaved a heavy sigh and did more research and holy cats! This thing (KP) is amazing!

I still haven't actually bought it - because I'm a professional digital artist and shooting my own image stock, backdrops, elements, product shots, etc., has appeal, I want really good image quality, but because the whole point of this exercise is going back t college for film stuff, great digital video is [i]mandatory.[\i] Some of the reviewers have kind of dismissed the video capabilities of the Pentax cameras out of hand, but then they didn't show me crappy video, they just said Pentax lags behind in that area. On the other hand, I have seen a couple of YouTube clips that show amazing video footage from a KP. So, when you balance that with the huge pile of other plusses and tricks and capabilities, the fact that it's just right at the high end of what I was wanting to spend is forgiven, and I plan on buying a KP, I think.

So, questions - for those 1 or 2% of you still reading, I mean.

What do you think of the KPs video, if you have one? Or Pentax DSLR video in general?

Also, if you do anything with VFX, do the additional Super Powers the KP and it's kin have regarding color and so on help with chroma keying, masking, and tracking?

Thank you in advance, if anyone is still reading. :)

(omg, she finally shut up... ;)

Last edited by Ash; 01-22-2019 at 06:43 AM. Reason: More minor "family friendly" edits
01-15-2019, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

you could look at this section of the " In Depth " Review of the K P

Pentax KP Review
Movie Mode

Pentax KP Review - Movie Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

it is the closest thing I could find to any reference to " video "

the " In Depth " Review may also answer other questions for you

you might consider renting one and doing your own trial:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent

Read more at: Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-15-2019 at 04:37 AM.
01-15-2019, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really shoot very little video (so take what I say with a grain of salt). But I’ve found the video of the KP more than adequate. There is a YouTube video where the “vlogger” went somewhat in depth regarding the video capabilities of the KP (he was very positive and was surprised how good it was because everyone talks bad about Pentax video). I’ll find the video and link it here for you.

But first I need some sleep.

Welcome to the forum!
01-15-2019, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum!!! She will shoot me for this, but one of the persons you want an opinion from, is a user by the name of LaurenOE Drop her a PM, as she just started a new thread and should be on here from time to time. Her new thread is...She shoots corporate video for a little startup company in the bay area - well, I do remember when they were a little startup anyway. She use to shoot everything with Pentax, and now I think she has moved to Sony for video.

For me, I don't even know where the video button is, let alone how to push it. Do you push it, or do you turn the knob - I don't know.... Anyway, most of us are still shooters, and for that the KP is an absolutely excellent choice.

01-15-2019, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For video my personal thinking is:

Panasonic or Sony at the top,
Canon just below that,
Most everyone else,
Pentax

I don't shoot video on my Pentax.
01-15-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. Asking about video is the thing this forum has the least depth of knowledge. I haven't used mine except by accident. I still have a canon xl1s 3 ccd PAL camcorder in storage. I hope to hear an answer to your second question because back in 2005 I was trying that stuff. Good lighting with no spill was very important. Things have changed a lot since then. I didn't keep up with that "landscape ".
01-16-2019, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forum. There will be plenty of people here who appreciate your humor and are more than willing to help you grow.

01-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeQueue Quote
So, hi. My name is Honor. As you can doubtless tell, I'm a pain in the backside who thinks she's funny.
Well, Honor, I think your post is funny too. :-) Welcome to PF.

I've just got a KP myself and it's a fine still camera and adequate for my modest video requirements. But, as people have said, it's not cutting edge for video. Coming to Pentax for video is like coming to NYC for wildlife.
01-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You may have better luck posting your questions in the video section.
01-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeQueue Quote

So, hi. My name is Honor.
I knew an Honor back at Ohio State in the 80s/early 90s. Cool person.

Welcome aboard!
My post-processing is mostly for image tweaking and cropping.
01-22-2019, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Honor. My namesake (in another language, but still...)
Good to have you here and hope you enjoy this fine forum (if we do say so ourselves).
I am an experienced photoshop neophyte, but I can use it to process images that are already well captured to make them into slightly better works of art.
Look forward to your contributions here.
01-23-2019, 03:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
You may have better luck posting your questions in the video section.
That's a noob for you - I didn't even realize there was a video section.

---------- Post added 01-23-19 at 03:16 AM ----------

Thank you for all the help and input. My brother lent me his K-S1 to get used to / feel out while I'm waiting for the purchase to go through. I really want that KP - even if it's not the best video quality of the pack (I'mled to believe that's going to be a mirrorless camera... And since I cannot afford the mirrorless I'd want right now, and the mirrorless I could afford wouldn't hold a candle to the KP for stills...
01-26-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, as this a truly International forum and I'm an hairy old Scottish Highlander... you'll not mind if a raise my hand and question some of your colloquial phraseologies.
01-30-2019, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, as this a truly International forum and I'm an hairy old Scottish Highlander... you'll not mind if a raise my hand and question some of your colloquial phraseologies.
I'll not mind a bit, as many o' me ancestors were hairy old Scots Highlanders as well. Per mare, per terras! ...Or some such thing. Is it too long to still be annoyed about losing the Lordship of the Isles?

---------- Post added 01-30-19 at 04:35 PM ----------

Well, I'm going to be banished. Doused in pear juice and thrown to the gerbils.

You see... Well... I still want a KP, and I'll have one, eventually, but this first camera has to, has to, has to be all about the video, for school. So, it's a.. Panasonic.

I did buy it at BH and clicked the link, though - I've built & maintained a few thousand websites, so I know what that can cost - does that count? Or does it have to be a Pentax through them?

Last edited by EyeQueue; 01-30-2019 at 04:36 PM.
01-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Honor.

Kind regards,
Mark
(New Zealand)