Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Long winded introduction.

Got a two year night school degree in Commercial and Industrial Photography in late 70s, early 80s when my wife asked me to quit playing in rock and roll bands. Seems being a wannabe rockstar with a new baby and a day job was not compatible with marital bliss. I did some free lance advertising photography and won second place in a couple state wide newspaper advertising competitions. I had a contract gig with a local modeling school. Once in a awhile an unholy alliance of Mary Kay cometics sales people would rent a facility, bring in hairdressers and do makeovers for scores of women. I would do the before and after pix. (TIP: The “after” pictures have to look better than the “befores.”) At the end of the evening, they’d hand me a zipper bag full of cash. More money for less work and better hours than humping a bass rig into a dive bar for a gig.

I shot Canon back in the film days, A1, AE1, EF and FTBn bodies and a bunch of glass. Dark room in the basement,you know the whole story. In 2000, 12 years after my divorce, I sold it all to help finance my last rock and roll band. We should have been called The Last Gasp or Midlife Crisis because it was and we were.

In 2005 my dad died and left me a Pentax SF1 and 4 lenses. I stuck them in the closet but in 2007 I read that the Pentax K10D was compatible with theses old Pentax and Sigma lenses and ordered one up. As much as I knew, I didn’t even know about crop factors at that time. It didn’t matter, I drug the thing to the country, the zoo and flower gardens, etc. You know that story, too.

But... I was also caretaker of my Dad’s gun collection while my little brother was overseas. So in my mid-50s, I got drawn into competitive hand gunning. Having only so much time, energy and money, the Pentax went back in the closet until late 2014. My neighbor, a local media professional in tv, radio and print was writing a pet column for a local glossy mag. She had a photo shoot for her column and the magazine freelancer cancelled. She called up and asked, “Do you have a good camera?” I said, “Yes.” She said, “Grab it and let’s go.”

A month later, I saw my photos, in color, in a glossy magazine. I was hooked on photography again. Since then I’ve photographed 30 or so animal rescue fund raisers, a couple championship poodles, hundreds of dog photos for her social media platforms and several more magazine articles, including a 10 page article on homelessness that used 8 of my photos including a two page spread.

All that said, in the past 18 months, after fooling around with a Sony a6000, I’ve upgraded from the K10D to a K70 and a K3II. I’ve acquired most the DA Ltd lenses and a couple DA* lenses and others. I think I own 12 Pentax lenses and 2 Sigmas. Recently I decided I needed to have a camera on me at all times. First I bought a used K-01 with the 40mm XS pancake. Not too crazy about it so last week I bought a Pentax Q7 with the 02 lens and the Pentax Q/K adapter. This morning I ordered the 01 and 08 lens.

I think I need an intervention...

or a K1 II. Help me decide.

In case you haven’t noticed, I tend to be long winded. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Perfessor5646; 01-19-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Mispellings and left out Sony a6000 info
01-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

you could spend some $, rent equipment and make your own tests:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

then you will know what you are looking for, the market place " buy/sell " here is a good place to look for " experienced " equipment

check out the reviews under " Cameras " and " Lenses " as well.
01-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Long winded or not it was an interesting read. I look forward to hearing more from you on the forum. But most of all, take pictures and share if you like.
01-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome

you could spend some $, rent equipment and make your own tests:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

then you will know what you are looking for, the market place " buy/sell " here is a good place to look for " experienced " equipment

check out the reviews under " Cameras " and " Lenses " as well.
Louisville, Kentucky is in a Pentax desert. No big box or locally owned photography stores sell Pentax gear. Supply of used gear is minimal. So Adorama, B&H, KEH and assorted Amazon sellers have been my resources. I have no complaints. I’ve been lurking in the Pentax review forum for a couple years. I just overcame the inertia to post.

01-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great intro! Welcome and please share some photos when you get a chance
01-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Louisville, Kentucky is in a Pentax desert. . . .
Looks like Roberts Camera in Indianapolis might be the closest to you

I would have to travel to Wichita or St. Louis

Worldwide Pentax Retailer Map - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-19-2019 at 12:48 PM.
01-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got a two year night school degree in Commercial and Industrial Photography in late 70s, early 80s when my wife asked me to quit playing in rock and roll bands. Seems being a wannabe rockstar with a new baby and a day job was not compatible with marital bliss. I did some free lance advertising photography and won second place in a couple state wide newspaper advertising competitions. I had a contract gig with a local modeling school. Once in a awhile an unholy alliance of Mary Kay cometics sales people would rent a facility, bring in hairdressers and do makeovers for scores of women. I would do the before and after pix. (TIP: The “after” pictures have to look better than the “befores.”) At the end of the evening, they’d hand me a zipper bag full of cash. More money for less work and better hours than humping a bass rig into a dive bar for a gig.

I shot Canon back in the film days, A1, AE1, EF and FTBn bodies and a bunch of glass. Dark room in the basement,you know the whole story. In 2000, 12 years after my divorce, I sold it all to help finance my last rock and roll band. We should have been called The Last Gasp or Midlife Crisis because it was and we were.

In 2005 my dad died and left me a Pentax SF1 and 4 lenses. I stuck them in the closet but in 2007 I read that the Pentax K10D was compatible with theses old Pentax and Sigma lenses and ordered one up. As much as I knew, I didn’t even know about crop factors at that time. It didn’t matter, I drug the thing to the country, the zoo and flower gardens, etc. You know that story, too.

But... I was also caretaker of my Dad’s gun collection while my little brother was overseas. So in my mid-50s, I got drawn into competitive hand gunning. Having only so much time, energy and money, the Pentax went back in the closet until late 2014. My neighbor, a local media professional in tv, radio and print was writing a pet column for a local glossy mag. She had a photo shoot for her column and the magazine freelancer cancelled. She called up and asked, “Do you have a good camera?” I said, “Yes.” She said, “Grab it and let’s go.”

A month later, I saw my photos, in color, in a glossy magazine. I was hooked on photography again. Since then I’ve photographed 30 or so animal rescue fund raisers, a couple championship poodles, hundreds of dog photos for her social media platforms and several more magazine articles, including a 10 page article on homelessness that used 8 of my photos including a two page spread.

All that said, in the past 18 months, after fooling around with a Sony a6000, I’ve upgraded from the K10D to a K70 and a K3II. I’ve acquired most the DA Ltd lenses and a couple DA* lenses and others. I think I own 12 Pentax lenses and 2 Sigmas. Recently I decided I needed to have a camera on me at all times. First I bought a used K-01 with the 40mm XS pancake. Not too crazy about it so last week I bought a Pentax Q7 with the 02 lens and the Pentax Q/K adapter. This morning I ordered the 01 and 08 lens.

I think I need an intervention...

or a K1 II. Help me decide.

In case you haven’t noticed, I tend to be long winded. Thank you for your time.
Welcome aboard since you have a K70 and K-3II you may want to take a dose of K-1II for your GAS symptoms it works every time. Skip the intervention it never works for long.

01-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great intro, welcome to the forum!

I think I own 12 Pentax lenses and 2 Sigmas.
I also have trouble remembering just how many lenses I own.
01-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

Welcome. This is a great forum. Sounds like you have camera buying addiction. Many people have lens buying addiction. We all have something. Lots of knowledge on this forum. I would say you have some real good equipment. The 10Mp K10D is fine for magazine size images and more. The K70 and K3ii are larger sensor and Raw files and boosted capabilities (I have a K3 and it is nice), but if you don't want to think in 35mm equivalence based on APS-C sensors, then K1ii is the ticket (I have a K1 and love it). If you are looking to do wildlife or lifestyle stuff that benefits from the "extra reach" of the APS-C cameras, then you have two nice ones. If you want full frame 35mm and do landscape, architecture, or want 35mm equivalence and image style, then the K1ii is nice. Summary: you are well equipped so let the work results tell you what you need.

JB
01-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and that's great story.

---------- Post added 01-19-19 at 04:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Great intro, welcome to the forum!

I also have trouble remembering just how many lenses I own.
It helps if you quit buying and selling. I know I sold a few a while back and acquired few, then broke one. I started that process at 21 lenses, I have no idea where I am now.

@Perfessor5646
I was cabinet maker for 7 years. I left went back to school and became a high school shop teacher (which eventually morphed into a high school photography teacher.) When I visited the guys back at the shop they used to call me "the perfesser."

Last edited by normhead; 01-19-2019 at 02:19 PM.
01-19-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Welcome to the forum and that's great story.

---------- Post added 01-19-19 at 04:15 PM ----------

It helps if you quit buying and selling. I know I sold a few a while back and acquired few, then broke one. I started that process at 21 lenses, I have no idea where I am now.

@Perfessor5646
I was cabinet maker for 7 years. I left went back to school and became a high school shop teacher (which eventually morphed into a high school photography teacher.) When I visited the guys back at the shop they used to call me "the perfesser."
My maternal grandfathers nickname was Perfessor. I look like him and 5646 spells john on a telephone keypad. When I moved to Bedford, IN, the telephone prefix was 275. I asked for 275-5646 as the phone number for my business card. Want a Xerox copier? ASK-JOHN it would say. I was told that all the 275 numbers were taken. The new prefix was 277. Think about that... I did and asked for 277-0010. You can’t spell anything with ones and zeroes.

My writer friend calls me her phoDOGrapher.
01-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My maternal grandfathers nickname was Perfessor. I look like him and 5646 spells john on a telephone keypad. When I moved to Bedford, IN, the telephone prefix was 275. I asked for 275-5646 as the phone number for my business card. Want a Xerox copier? ASK-JOHN it would say. I was told that all the 275 numbers were taken. The new prefix was 277. Think about that... I did and asked for 277-0010. You can’t spell anything with ones and zeroes.

My writer friend calls me her phoDOGrapher.
You might be more full of stories than I am.
01-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly lots of background in your stories there, and I'm sure you'll have a lot to offer to your community.
Welcome here and enjoy this fine forum.
... and you do need a K-1 II. Your legacy glass is not reaching their full potential...
01-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Selling photo gear? No can do.
01-20-2019, 09:59 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Selling photo gear? No can do.
My wife helped me pick out a very nice looking camera cupboard. Nothing is allowed to exceed the storage space in the cupboard. And honestly, I've never sold anything I had used in the last year.

It fits in here, or it's gone.

Last edited by normhead; 01-20-2019 at 05:43 PM.