Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
Welcome. If you are looking at third party lenses, I have a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 DI LD Macro that I like (about $750 new and less used say $500). Look in the Lens Review section Third party Tamron current zooms.

JB
A great suggestion if you don't mind the weight. In fact, if the size and weight are OK, it might be best of the bunch.

The size and weight have always stopped me from pulling the trigger on this one, and now that the Pentax 70-200 is out, I'd prefer the quiet focus. But I still wouldn't like the size and weight.

01-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You'll note, as camera bodies get newer, and sensors improve the sharpness rating goes down. It might be a trend. Let's not project those ratings from 2012 to 2018. They might be rather dismal. I'd suspect this is a lens that was designed for current sensors (2011) and hasn't held up all that well.
Seems reasonable.
Would you say that in general Pentax-F zoom lenses are very low value for the K-1? One option tempting me was buying an affordable couple of them (the 24-50 and the 70-210 for instance), but, if they are going to kill the camera, it makes no sense.
01-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The F-70-210 is acceptable barely but it's a fringe monster in the wrong conditions.. I got mine for $60 and it's keeper. if for no other reason to be an emergency telephoto in a tightly packed camera bag. Taken on shopping trip. A chance unplanned encounter, having it there was awesome. This one taken on a K-3. For the price they go for you won't find anything that matches it.

I don't have a 42-50, almost bought one once but got the 18-105 instead.

Here's a similar type and age lens, the FA 35-80 on the K-1.

I think the 24-50 might be even better, but just guessing.
01-20-2019, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Welcome. One comment that I didn't see here before you go to the K-1/ii threads. The 55-300mm DA lens goes into auto-crop mode which has a neat feature. While it turns the K-1ii into a high tech K-5iis (the crop mode is 15.5 mp), the viewfinder creates a black rectangle that shows the cropped area the Da lens will image. However, it displays the entire scope beyond the cropped rectangle allowing you the option to 'frame' the image too....Quite unique and very effective. MY cropped K-1 Mark ii photos are excellent and allow me to use my (generally lighter) DA lenses on an FF body.
So many new K-1 owners sell off all their crop lenses immediately- a mistake IMO

01-20-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I was inspired to go out an snap a few more F 70-210 images for you using the K-1.

Not bad in the long end but not spectacular. As is typical of this type of lens, as the barrel goes longer the lens gets less sharp.

Nothing wrong with it at 70mm

The out of focus areas aren't the smoothest, but it is ƒ8.

This one near the closest focusing distance... really, not bad at all.

It is noisey and when it locks focus it will almost break your wrist with a loud "ka thunk", but if you're looking for a budget lens it's one of the best. I doubt you'll find a better FF telephoto for the price.

More on this lens here.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-70-210mm-F4-5.6-Zoom-Lens.html
Read more reviews for a more balanced frame of reference.

Last edited by normhead; 01-20-2019 at 02:31 PM.
01-20-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GiBi Quote
Would you say that in general Pentax-F zoom lenses are very low value for the K-1? One option tempting me was buying an affordable couple of them (the 24-50 and the 70-210 for instance), but, if they are going to kill the camera, it makes no sense.
Those F zooms won't kill the camera. They're just not as good as the newer DFA lenses, although in the f8 to f16 range they may be pretty close, at least in the center of the image. I've never used the F 24-50, but it's a well liked lens and images from it have always impressed me (beautiful color, contrast, and rendering). A few years ago I owned a copy of the F 70-210, but only shot it on APS-C, so I have no idea how it performs toward the edges on FF. In the center it's fairly sharp in the 70-100mm range, less so as you move from 100mm to 210mm.

With a lot of the older zooms, they may have sweet spots where they are almost as good as DFA lenses. For standard zooms, the sweet spot is often in the middle of the zooms range with the aperture stopped down (f8 to f16). For telephoto zooms, the sweet spot is more toward the wide end of the lens. I purchased an FA-J 75-300 for my K-1 as lightweight carry-everywhere-or-leave-in-the-car type of lens. Wide open, it's rather shockingly soft. But stop it down to f16 it's surprisingly sharp edge to edge from 90mm to 150mm.
01-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #22
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To start with, those F and FA zoom lenses should suffice, but you will soon find them limiting in their abilities that will eventually make you want to upgrade to faster (wider aperture) lenses on the K-1.

01-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It is noisey and when it locks focus it will almost break your wrist with a loud "ka thunk", but if you're looking for a budget lens it's one of the best. I doubt you'll find a better FF telephoto for the price.
Wow thanks for the review. There are quite some nice prices for this lens so it's a very good candidate.
By the way: what a wonderful snow you have there!
01-20-2019, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Wow thanks for the review. There are quite some nice prices for this lens so it's a very good candidate.
By the way: what a wonderful snow you have there!
Going out to take those images it was -20ºC. The snow is like that because none of it has melted this winter.

---------- Post added 01-20-19 at 08:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
To start with, those F and FA zoom lenses should suffice, but you will soon find them limiting in their abilities that will eventually make you want to upgrade to faster (wider aperture) lenses on the K-1.
I really liked my FA 35-80, but when I got my DFA 28-105, it rarely got picked up again. Then my wife started taking the DFA 28-105 out all the time on her K-5. Get going, and then find out what you really need. For us, that DFA 28-105 is some kind of pinnacle of lens design. Small enough to carry, sharp enough you don't miss primes. And there's the FA 1.4, DFA 50 1.4 and DA* 55 1.4 if you like narrow DOF. A lens for every price range.

Last edited by normhead; 01-21-2019 at 08:35 AM.
01-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #25

I have the Pentax A 35-105 f3.5 zoom w/macro. If you like to manual focus (I started with film and manual lenses), it is pretty sporty. It is referred to as "a stack of primes". While not a zoom, I have the Pentax 55mm f1.8 in K and M42 mount and they are stellar while totally manual. Some old lenses are pretty good. While I don't have one, I see a lot of good things written about the Pentax 50mm and 85mm lenses. I have a Pentax prime manual M 100 f2.8 and it is pretty good. If you do fast paced sports photography including car and motorcycle racing, the manual focus lenses may drive you crazy if you aren't practiced at manual focusing.

JB

Last edited by Take-5-JB; 01-21-2019 at 11:32 AM.
01-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #26

Original Poster
I'd like a lot to practice with some manual focus lenses, and that will happen for sure once I cover with a couple of zooms the standard ranges.

If I can find a good price, the DFA 28-105 would be great, but in Europe it's usually sold pretty expensive, even second hand. The DFA plus the F 70-210 could be a good pair to start, otherwise the FA 24-90 or one of the other suggestions that you guys have proposed here.
01-26-2019, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I see you've already got loads of good advice already. Probably just as well as really I couldnae offer anything sensible to say, as I don't have of those zoom lenses malarky, it's just me and my "Ladies".

When you wanna talk primes gimme a shout.
01-26-2019, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 55-300mm does not cover full frame. I'd get the D FA 28-105mm, and then another FF tele zoom (a modern one isn't out yet, so something like the FA 80-320mm or 100-300mm would be good alternatives).
I would recommend the SIGMA 70-300mm APO (FA) lens. I originally bought it for my Pentax K-50 years ago. Used it sparingly and then found new life with it on my K-1 full frame. Many copies in great condition are available used for about $150.00 and it is well made with manual overrides on the lens. Plus, it's compatible with autofocus on the APSc and FF Pentax cameras.
01-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #29
Pentaxian

the DFA 28-105 would be great, but in Europe it's usually sold pretty expensive, even second hand.
Just 320-420€ second-hand, it's even cheaper than the D FA 100mm 2.8 WR.