Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2019, 04:48 AM   #1

New member, new 645 shooter.

Hello all,
I am new in the neighborhood. I bought a 645 (original) about 6 weeks ago and recently got my first roll developed. I'm hooked.

I grew up using a Brownie Hawkeye Flash, and still use a working copy. I've always had a thing for 120 format film, which led me to the 645. I got my first film SLR in 1976, and stayed with film until my last Yashica FX-3 S2K broke about 10 years ago. For about 10 years, I chased photography down the rabbit-hole that is digital SLRs. About a year ago, I noticed that photography was something I just DID; it was no longer something I ENJOYED. It took me months to figure out what the problem was. In the end, it was digital photography itself. I sold off all of my Canon full frame digital gear and bought a few old Yashica and Contax bodies, and a variety of C/Y lenses. I kept the Canon APS-C gear and my complete range of APS-C zooms; they are necessary, and serve a purpose. My manual everything bodies and manual aperture/focus lenses bring me back to the heart of photography

So far, my 645 gear consists of an excellent-shape body, 45mm & 75mm lenses, and 280 flash. I am contemplating a 150mm f/3.5, but not sure I need it. Most of my 645 work will be landscapes, tripod mounted, and cable released. That said, I can't wait to try out the flash for some candids at the next family gathering.

Oh, just in case anyone is interested in the personal stuff, I am married (2nd time around), have two grown girls, 3 dogs, 7 cats, a parakeet, and tropical fish. I live on a farm just outside the tiny little nowhere town of Bourbon, Indiana. I spent 9 years in the US Army ('74-'83), retired after 28 years from the US Postal Service, and am currently working for a local Hospice as a registered nurse.

Looking forward to learning a lot on this forum, and hopefully I can contribute something of value, too.

TomS

01-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
01-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome intro. I look forward to seeing some of your images.
01-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum. How many of us never dreamed we would be able to afford 645s when they were new? It is fun to work with them now.

01-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the greetings and well-wishes. I hope to get some time to shoot pretty soon. I've run 1 roll of Portra 400 through the 645, mainly as a function check. I was surprised by the difference between 120 and 35mm. My other 120 is a Brownie Hawkeye Flash, not exactly the best (plastic!) lens on that one. Anyway, don't expect artwork. I'm a life-time-committed snap shooter!

Time to shoot is at a premium. We (like everyone else) are short-handed. Been putting in 50+ hours a week, plus on-call every other weekend. Some weekends I get no calls. This weekend I'm at a 8 calls, I think. Over 17 hours just on the weekend. I'm getting too old for this crap. But I'm paid very well, so I'll keep doing it for a bit longer, and hope it slows down. One good thing is the weather is bad now. Maybe it will improve the same time the job slows down!.
01-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing some imagery from that "big boy" camera.