Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #1

New member, looking for advice choosing a body.

Hi! I'm Diego, from Spain, but live in Germany.
I have a Pentax SFXn which was my dad's camera since I was born and which I use to shoot film (together with an Olympus Trip 35).
I also have a Canon 80D but I won't talk much about it since this is not Canonforums.
I study engineering and find its luck of creativity really disappointing, so I use photography as a way of staying creative and escaping a bit from all of that boring stuff. I love automotive, architecture, urban and landscape photography.

Anyways, I got 3 manual K lenses two days ago for 15€ and I want to get a K-mount Pentax film SLR. After researching I've decided to go for the ME Super (I really want an MX but their prices seem to be a bit inflated atm here in Germany). I've found 3 different offers (body only) for about 50€ including shipping, with (supposedly) working lightmeter, but I've been offered a black body with the Pentax 50mm f/1.4, a Pentax 40-80mm f/2.8-4 and a Pentax 200mm f/4, plus manual, flash and some kind of rigid carrying case with dividers, all together for 88€ with shipping.
I would personally choose the last offer, but I'm not sure if black bodies are more or less valuable than the usual silver ones, I don't know if the extra equipment is worth the price difference and my main concern:
The body and lenses all look pristine (I'd gladly post pictures or a link to the offer, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to following the forum rules), but the seller doesn't know anything about cameras, so he doesn't know if the camera works.
I know this is a very personal decision and a lot of info, but I'd gladly appreciate some external input and opinions on what I should do.
Thanks in advance if you read everything and I'm happy to be here in Pentaxforums!

01-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DFJorquera Quote
(I'd gladly post pictures or a link to the offer, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to following the forum rules
You are allowed to.

Generally with old film camera purchases, unless the camera has recently been serviced, you should expect to perform a foam replacement and shutter calibration, and factor this into your budget. These services aren't particularly expensive, luckily.

That said, the bundle deal above looks quite good. If the lenses are correctly identified, then they are collectively worth way more than 88€!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You are allowed to.

Generally with old film camera purchases, unless the camera has recently been serviced, you should expect to perform a foam replacement and shutter calibration, and factor this into your budget. These services aren't particularly expensive, luckily.

That said, the bundle deal above looks quite good. If the lenses are correctly identified, then they are collectively worth way more than 88€!
Thanks a lot for your answer Adam! I've just looked them up in the lens review section of the forum and the lenses alone definitely seem to be worth way more than the asking 88€, so I'll go for it.
I hope it's in a good condition, but if servicing is immediately necessary I'll look for a nice place to do it. Btw, is foam replacement difficult to do by yourself? I'm just curious, as you mentioned it shouldn't be really expensive, but I enjoyed entirely disassembling my Trip 35 and even though it's a much simpler camera than the MES, I wouldn't mind trying to do the replacement myself.
01-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forum

I am sure someone will be able to assist you soon

01-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum. I have done dozens of foam replacements with either foam or felt sheets like this:
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
You can also buy pre-cut foam from John Goodman (search this forum)
Hold the camera so that debris falls out, not in, when scraping out old foam.
01-21-2019, 10:27 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum. 7 of my 8 cameras (5 digital and 3 film) are black. I prefer black as they look sleek and purposeful. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here at this forum. Ask your questions and you will get answers, often from many skill levels.

JB
01-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of the older Pentax film bodies are more desirable in black, and worth a bit more than the silver counterparts. This is due to higher numbers of silver ones being made. The ME Super is a good, and rather dependable camera, I've not had any problems with mine.

As mentioned, be sure to check the light seals when you get it, they aren't hard to replace yourself just be careful about any old seal material falling inside the camera, especially into the shutter curtain area.

Welcome to the forum!

01-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you very much to everyone for your welcome messages! I'm very happy now to have made the choice for the black MES and I can't wait for it to arrive. As soon as I get it I'll check the seals
01-23-2019, 01:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Diego. I have a few SFX and SFXn cameras. Your SFXn is well made and should serve you well.
01-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your time spent here with us all.