Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Hello from Tokyo, Japan -- and Question about Image Circle of Pentax 67 90mm Lens

Greetings from Tokyo, Japan.

I have recently brought out from storage the Pentax MX I bought new in Tokyo in 1980. I took many, many Kodachromes and Ektachromes on this wonderfully compact camera, traveling throughout Japan, Italy and Hungary. I'll have to scan them someday.

But right now I'm more interested in medium format (and possibly larger) film photography (I like the technology, the challenge, and the final prints that come out of the process). Which brings me to a specific question.

Some years ago (2012) on this forum, member wombat2go kindly described his project of mounting a "Takumar 6X7 on a Speed Graphic." His post said it looked good on ground glass and he was about to try some film. I wonder how the film turned out? There was also some discussion about the Pentax 67 90mm f2.8 LS lens -- which is the lens I would like to use. I wonder if it would cover 6x9?

Thanks all and happy photos!

Tom

01-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, perhaps you could send a PM to the member and see.
01-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, perhaps you could send a PM to the member and see.
Thank you for letting me know I could do that! Done. This is a great forum.
02-01-2019, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tom,
Welcome,
Thanks for pm -message, sorry a bit late to reply.
To answer your queries, I looked at some photos with the Takumar 6x7 lenses.
(I use example my -older - photos posted before on PF.)
There are a few RollFilm Back "6x9" and "6x7" dimensional standards.
The Pentax is specified at 55.0 High by 70.0 Wide by my notes.

1)I have the RH_8 Back on the Speed Graphic, which is image size 57.4mm high by 77.7mm wide ( my measurement). With Takumars on the front, I use the Speed's focal plane shutter.
This photo was with the RH_8 on the Speed with the Super-Takumar/6x7 1:3.5/55 (55mm) at f/11 probably.
The Speed was preset for forward tilt by dropping the bed and re-adjusting the tilt and infinity focus, then carried hand held for the photo next day, as I recall.
Box
I think this photo shows that the upper corners of the "6x9" photo are <just> rolling down by the image circle of the Takumar "6x7"lens with camera movements.

2) The metal box camera I made has a machined mount for the P67 bolted to the front of a die cast box, and the RollFilm back is a RH_10 ( 58 mm high by 67.7 mm wide, my measurement) bolted to the rear. The lens is accurately on axis to the back, no movements.
Box
The lens is the Super-Multi_Coated TAKUMAR/6x7 1:2.8/90
This camera can not rival my SLR - RB67 90 mm for close in or low light, but is lighter weight and simpler to use so I prefer it for medium/long distance when scale focus is OK.
Box

Regards, and I wish you well with your 6x9 lens hobby!

02-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you!

Nice photos and nice work on the metal box camera. Very encouraging for me.

As I use my current camera more, with its wide angle (62mm) lens, and no focus aid, I understand how much more important it must be to have a good focusing system with a normal focal length lens and larger aperture.

Tom

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Tom,
Welcome,
Thanks for pm -message, sorry a bit late to reply.
To answer your queries, I looked at some photos with the Takumar 6x7 lenses.
(I use example my -older - photos posted before on PF.)
There are a few RollFilm Back "6x9" and "6x7" dimensional standards.
The Pentax is specified at 55.0 High by 70.0 Wide by my notes.

1)I have the RH_8 Back on the Speed Graphic, which is image size 57.4mm high by 77.7mm wide ( my measurement). With Takumars on the front, I use the Speed's focal plane shutter.
This photo was with the RH_8 on the Speed with the Super-Takumar/6x7 1:3.5/55 (55mm) at f/11 probably.
The Speed was preset for forward tilt by dropping the bed and re-adjusting the tilt and infinity focus, then carried hand held for the photo next day, as I recall.
Box
I think this photo shows that the upper corners of the "6x9" photo are <just> rolling down by the image circle of the Takumar "6x7"lens with camera movements.

2) The metal box camera I made has a machined mount for the P67 bolted to the front of a die cast box, and the RollFilm back is a RH_10 ( 58 mm high by 67.7 mm wide, my measurement) bolted to the rear. The lens is accurately on axis to the back, no movements.
Box
The lens is the Super-Multi_Coated TAKUMAR/6x7 1:2.8/90
This camera can not rival my SLR - RB67 90 mm for close in or low light, but is lighter weight and simpler to use so I prefer it for medium/long distance when scale focus is OK.
Box

Regards, and I wish you well with your 6x9 lens hobby!