Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
New member from Vermont (USA)

Hello!
I found the forum when searching for advice on Pentax cameras since the Ricoh transition. I shot 35mm with a K1000 as a kid. I made the transition to DSLR with a K-x in 2010. When my K-x failed in 2014 I was hesitant to stick with Pentax because of the lack of support (just after the acquisition) so I sold my whole collection of gear in favor of Nikon. Sadly, my love of photography seemed to die when I changed brands. I've finally decided to switch back to Pentax. My D5300 and all Nikon lenses are gone and I'm likely going to buy a K-70 + 18-135mm. It seems to hit the sweet spot with features and budget for me. I'm a bit concerned because none of my local shops carry Pentax and I can't lay my hands on one before buying. I loved the small body of my K-x and understand that the K-70 is much bigger and heavier. That being said, I have a Sony a6000 mirrorless for when I need small and light.
I look forward to participating in the forum as someone with a love for the Pentax brand and the images that Pentax cameras produce. Somehow, they are distinctly different.
Best,
JLC

01-28-2019, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by JLC VT Quote
Hello!
I found the forum when searching for advice on Pentax cameras since the Ricoh transition. I shot 35mm with a K1000 as a kid. I made the transition to DSLR with a K-x in 2010. When my K-x failed in 2014 I was hesitant to stick with Pentax because of the lack of support (just after the acquisition) so I sold my whole collection of gear in favor of Nikon. Sadly, my love of photography seemed to die when I changed brands. I've finally decided to switch back to Pentax. My D5300 and all Nikon lenses are gone and I'm likely going to buy a K-70 + 18-135mm. It seems to hit the sweet spot with features and budget for me. I'm a bit concerned because none of my local shops carry Pentax and I can't lay my hands on one before buying. I loved the small body of my K-x and understand that the K-70 is much bigger and heavier. That being said, I have a Sony a6000 mirrorless for when I need small and light.
I look forward to participating in the forum as someone with a love for the Pentax brand and the images that Pentax cameras produce. Somehow, they are distinctly different.
Best,
JLC
Welcome to the best forum on the internet. I'm also in Vermont, near Middlebury. You might want to browse the marketplace here for gear. I've had good experiences with forum buys. I also use Used Photo Pro; unlike others, the photos they show are the actual piece of gear. I'm using K5 andK52 both bought used with a variety of Pentax, Sigma, and legacy glass. Feel free to contact me.
01-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the OP has another option, although it will cost $.

there are companies which rent Pentax equipment and thus the OP could rent something and determine what is really desired before buying

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

I join in the recommendation of the Market Place as a good source of " experienced " equipment

you can sort the Market Place to show items being offered for sale by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-28-2019 at 10:20 AM.
01-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, JLT VT!

01-31-2019, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The weight issue isn't big. A few grams heavier will be dwarfed by the lens selections. Buy a nice sling strap and you won't even notice the weight.

Welcome!
02-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that it has to offer.