Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

DSLR recommendation

Hi. I am wanting recommendatons on a very basic DSLR camera. Only requirement is that it can be set MANUALLY when I desire. I cut my photographic 'teeth' on a Pentax K1000, which i still have, and which still works perfectly. Thanks.

Jerry

02-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello and welcome. I'm not exactly impartial as I have one for sale here on Pentax Forum's Photographer's Marketplace (shameless plug), but I believe the K-5 IIs is an excellent camera and I know it can be found for cheap online. A few pluses:

1. The image quality is excellent
2. It's fully weather-sealed, provided you're using it with weather sealed lenses
3. The file sizes are easily manageable for most computers and their software, plus the files don't eat up too much storage space (newer high megapixel cameras are less friendly in this regard)
4. It uses common & inexpensive SD/SDHC/SDXC cards
5. The menu system is very intuitive and easy to learn (as is the whole camera)
6. It's design and its ergonomics are wonderful (it's very easy to hold onto)
5. It extremely ruggedly built and bests direct competition from its various non-Pentax rivals in that regard by a wide margin, in my opinion

There are reviews for it and other Pentax DSLR cameras that can be found here on the forum.

If you want to spend less there are other great alternatives out there. Same if you wish to spend more.

Good luck and happy camera shopping.

Last edited by JHfwp; 02-04-2019 at 10:56 PM.
02-05-2019, 12:01 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K9AF Quote
Only requirement is that it can be set MANUALLY when I desire
What he said before me and all Pentax cameras can do what your requirements are in that what I've quoted. Normally, that's how I use my Pentax's.

And welcome aboard!

Others will chime in to confirm what we've said and or elaborate further.
02-05-2019, 12:18 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-70 is a good go-to recommendation. You get excellent image quality and the lowest price of all new models. IMO, the image quality it delivers is worth it compared to legacy cameras, but if that's where you prefer to look due to budgetary constraints, then the K-5 and K-3 are good, durable options.

Of course, if you want to shoot in the same format as the K1000, then the K-1 would be for you

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-05-2019, 03:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have owned the K70 for only 2 days now.
If you don't want to spend the money on a new DSLR, I can highly recommend a 2nd hand K-x. I find the K-x to be user friendly, sturdy construction, cheap at the moment on eBay, awesome value for money
02-05-2019, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

Pentax has a lot to offer

you need to decide what you actually want and whether you want to buy new or " experienced "

the forum's comparison tool allows you to view different Pentax DSLR bodies side by side

for example:

Pentax K-5 IIs vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-x vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

and most of the lenses will work with any choice:

Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera

Most Pentax lenses are compatible with most Pentax cameras. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, including limitations with certain lenses. It's always a good idea to check before buying a lens.

This tool lets you check the compatibility of your Pentax digital camera with any Pentax lens or any current third-party lens. Type a partial name to see suggestions. See also: Lens Search | Camera Database

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/compatibility/#ixzz5eeesirKg

since you live in the US, you could choose to rent equipment to do your own trials before you try to find specific equipment to buy:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4542890

and please continue to ask the members for more help as you begin to choose

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-05-2019 at 04:23 AM.
02-05-2019, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's your budget? There are a lot of good recommendations here that none of them would disappoint, but for a camera you will grow into, the K-5 IIs or K70 are economical yet very capable cameras in a price point you may be happy with. Even cheaper are the K-r and K-x cameras, if you don't care for battery grips.

02-05-2019, 05:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Do yourself a favor and get one of the models with a flip screen, the time will come that it's not that easy to kneel or bend down to take some shots. I believe the KP is a good choice, that might last you a long time.
Pentax KP - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
02-05-2019, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any Pentax camera even remotely modern will suffice. It really is a budget vs features question. I would avoid a K30 or K50 used because of the aperture block problem. If you are looking used, get a K-5 or k-3. They are durable, professional models and were probably well taken care of.

New, I would suggest a K70 or KP. Similar images, slightly different form factors.

Don’t stress, they are all good choices.
02-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the manual mode on my k-70 a lot, since I have a mix of Pentax film and digital cameras/lenses. Also kept my K-30 for backup and have never had a problem with either. The K-70 image quality is definitely superior to the K-30, but it's all in how you intend to reproduce your images. Just for forums or FB or those similar more casual postings, than any of the more modern DSLR's will suffice. I've owned a K-X and K-20 and never had problems with either.
02-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a K10D and a K5.

If I was in the market for a new camera then I think I would be looking at the KP.
02-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

A K-70 is the bargain choice... the K-5 is still really good camera if you can find one second hand, with a low shutter count and at a good price. It's old enough people forget, on DxO it's still a top 50 camera.
02-05-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K9AF Quote
Hi. I am wanting recommendatons on a very basic DSLR camera. Only requirement is that it can be set MANUALLY when I desire. I cut my photographic 'teeth' on a Pentax K1000, which i still have, and which still works perfectly. Thanks.

Jerry
Most Pentax DSLR cameras use one of two sized sensors - so-called "FF" sensors {same size as 35mm frame} and so-called "APS-C" sensors {2/3 the size of 35mm in each of height and width}. Lenses on "FF" cameras will act the same as they do on a 35mm camera, but "FF" cameras {Pentax K-1 and K-1ii} cost more than "APS-C" cameras do {most of the cameras listed so far}. If you have the time and patience, you should probably read this 42-page thread
"Equivalence" between formats and lenses... - PentaxForums.com
02-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Most Pentax DSLR cameras use one of two sized sensors - so-called "FF" sensors {same size as 35mm frame} and so-called "APS-C" sensors {2/3 the size of 35mm in each of height and width}. Lenses on "FF" cameras will act the same as they do on a 35mm camera, but "FF" cameras {Pentax K-1 and K-1ii} cost more than "APS-C" cameras do {most of the cameras listed so far}. . . .
or if you wish, this info might be quicker to review

Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor: Which is Right For You?

Crop Factor Explained

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-05-2019 at 03:19 PM.
02-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They all do Manual, Jerry. The K-70 is a great choice new. Any of the models second hand is cost effective. Just check the aperture mechanism is fine on entry level models (K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S1, K-S2).