Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax dealers

Am located in the midwest (Mn.) - been a Pentax user for more than 40 years - wondering where
to locate active Pentax dealers who will trade etc.
I have contacted Pentax direct as well on on website - It appears
as though the Pentax dealer network is failing . My last dealer was
in Mpls and tells me "no more". Any help is appreciated.
Thanks -- wayneb

02-18-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the US, Pentax products are predominantly marketed online. I know it's annoying in many ways, but that's the way it's probably going to stay, and certainly what RIAC's strategy has been.

If you want to sell your gear, you'll make a lot more by listing on our Marketplace than by trading in at a store:
The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com

If you do want to trade in directly, KEH, B&H, Adorama, and MPB are all good options, and cover shipping costs. You can get quotes online and see who gives you the best offer, but generally they will be 20-40% below the item's market value.

That said, we've been building up a map of known dealers which carry or can special order Pentax gear here:
Worldwide Pentax Retailer Map - PentaxForums.com

If you come across any stores in your area, you are welcome to add a store on that page as well

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I too am located in the midwest (Wi).

Just checked Adam's map. The closest Pentax store to me is in Milwaukee - about a four hour drive. They have a website and sell their gear online.

They currently list only 3 Pentax cameras in their online store. All three are discontinued models. The big 3 online retailers that I buy from (B&H, Adorama, Amazon) list these old camera bodies as discontinued. The Ebay prices on these models is hundreds less than the list prices on this camera stores' website.

Selling outdated, discontinued, over-priced gear - no wonder local stores like this one are going out of business. Pretty poor business model if you ask me.

For those wanting to hold/feel/test out a potential new camera at a store like this and then buy it from Amazon later are out of luck. This store does not carry the latest Pentax models in their store, so no demos to try out.

P.S. Just checked prices at the second closest Pentax store to me. They are selling K-1's for $2,400. I can buy a newer K-1ii from B&H for $1,800. Which one should I buy????.... Pay a $600 premium for the older model, or buy the newer version for $600 less. Not a difficult decision for most of us. I just can't image any thinking adult buying expensive camera gear from a little camera store these days.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-18-2019 at 03:03 PM.
02-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In the US, Pentax products are predominantly marketed online. I know it's annoying in many ways, but that's the way it's probably going to stay
This is not a totally weird idea. My twenty-something, thirty-something daughters don't understand why I'd want to go to a brick-and-mortar store for any reason. This morning I saw a TV ad for a second company that sells cars totally on-line {and Carvana has even figured out how to purchase used cars on-line also}.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you do want to trade in directly, KEH, B&H, Adorama, and MPB are all good options, and cover shipping costs. You can get quotes online and see who gives you the best offer, but generally they will be 20-40% below the item's market value.
Roberts also does a good job of making quotes on-line

02-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

for those in the US who want to try out Pentax cameras and lenses, unless you can find a brick and mortar store, there is only one way I found - rent it

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

yes, it will cost some money but you do get " hands on " experience so you can determine exactly what you want.

sources of " experienced " equipment - well I have had good luck dealing with members through the forum's market place

KEH.com is another place, and some companies selling new may have old stock or stock accepted for trade in that might be available Adorama, B H Photography or even Amazon

and the rental companies might sell equipment as well.
02-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

we in DFW are lucky

For those of us in the Dallas-Fort Worth area we are lucky to have Arlington Camera locally as a Pentax dealer, I have bought both my K1 and my mkII from them and happily paid the sales tax both times. Although I also do business with B&H

---------- Post added 02-20-19 at 05:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
for those in the US who want to try out Pentax cameras and lenses, unless you can find a brick and mortar store, there is only one way I found - rent it

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

yes, it will cost some money but you do get " hands on " experience so you can determine exactly what you want.

sources of " experienced " equipment - well I have had good luck dealing with members through the forum's market place

KEH.com is another place, and some companies selling new may have old stock or stock accepted for trade in that might be available Adorama, B H Photography or even Amazon

and the rental companies might sell equipment as well.
I bought my DFA 150-450 from Lens Rental after renting it from them,
02-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've talked to a few longtime camera shop owners about Pentax (I live in Iowa). It's surprising the amount of vitriol there is toward the brand, because of the way that Pentax treated their once-enthusiastic dealer network in the US. Right around 2008, I think, Pentax began requiring very expensive pre-purchases of new stock in order to remain a dealer. These dealers were generally selling a decent amount of Pentax product, and had been for years, but putting all the risk on the dealer like that (which, I gather, was not happening with other mfgs) was highly offensive, and a risk most of them were not willing to take.

I talked to one shop owner in Illinois - a Pentax dealer at the time - who said that other shops would even send them their Pentax trade-ins, because they didn't want to deal with the brand in any way whatsoever. Incidentally, I checked their website recently, and that dealer no longer sells Pentax new, either. They were the only one within 300 miles that I was aware of.

It may have been a necessary strategy financially, but IMO Pentax/Ricoh burned a huge amount of goodwill among the very people who wanted to advocate for their products. I think the situation is unrecoverable now; Pentax couldn't rebuild a dealer network in the US if they tried.

Last edited by babywriter; 02-20-2019 at 07:12 PM.
02-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, a local Pentax "bricks and mortar" dealers are a very rare beast indeed.
06-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I too am located in the midwest (Wi).

Just checked Adam's map. The closest Pentax store to me is in Milwaukee - about a four hour drive. They have a website and sell their gear online.
Yup, just checked that one as well since about an hour from me. No K-1 or KP to compare.
06-16-2019, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This is not a totally weird idea. My twenty-something, thirty-something daughters don't understand why I'd want to go to a brick-and-mortar store for any reason. This morning I saw a TV ad for a second company that sells cars totally on-line {and Carvana has even figured out how to purchase used cars on-line also}.

Roberts also does a good job of making quotes on-line
Go to Yahoo Finance and check the price history of Carvana. Ticker Symbol CVNA. It is a company designed from the ground up for millennials who cannot abide the B&M used car buying experience.

Out of curiosity I registered and followed all the steps to the point where if I had clicked Buy the Car I would have owned a used Cadillac CTS. While I was contemplating whether to actually do it the screen refreshed and a pop-up appeared . . . . “This Car is No Longer Available for Purchase.”

I seriously considered it. I honestly wanted to get a used car at a vending machine just to see how it worked.

The world has forever changed.
01-14-2020, 05:15 PM   #11
Forum Member

Pentax Dealers who trade

Hi, Do a web search for used camera equipment, in and near your location, and nationwide, and note that Pentax Forums supporters, Adorama, and B & H in New York State trade. Query these large mail order dealers first, to know if they will trade for your listed gear, and a ballpark range of possibility. Most film era bodies are generally estimated low. Some film era lenses and accessories are often successfully traded. Here, where I live in Colorado Springs, there is a used dealer of most enthusiast and Professional Photo and lab gear FYI. Shipping costs may be picked up in certain instances by arrangement for receipt with Adorama, who I usually deal with, and have bought used and new Pentax gear from successfully for decade or so. Also go to Ebay, and type in Pentax Store sellers, in addition to their regular listers, some will take certain professionally rated lenses, and accessories, and digital era equipment.
01-16-2020, 05:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep a spreadsheet of Ricoh's Authorized US Dealers that has more information. Most of the 'authorized dealers' listed by Ricoh don't have any mention of Pentax products on their websites, or have only odd bits of used Pentax equipment. Sadly, this list continues to shrink...
01-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you can cross Creve Coure Camera of St Louis off the list. They closed up this past summer.

It's not only the millennial that embrace on-line buying. I'm a War Baby (you can't say "Okay Boomer" to me), and I find it prudent to stay off our ever-crowded roads when I can.
01-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I think you can cross Creve Coure Camera of St Louis off the list. They closed up this past summer.
Yes, they were marked as CLOSED on 8/29/19, and are literally crossed-out on the list.

By my count, that makes 20 dealers on the official Ricoh Authorized US Dealers list which are no longer in business.
01-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with Pentax is the number of companies who have owned them. Each with a different plan on how to use the products that they make. Along the way they have burned a lot of bridges. They probably wanted them for the technology they possessed other than photography. Hoya did a real job on them. I have purchased Pentax stuff directly from stores in Bismarck, ND and Billings, MT. Both are now closed. Local store does not sell Pentax.