Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 11:16 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Pentax and manual lenses

Hello all,

Recently I update from a Nikon crop to full-frame. It's a beautiful camera but my budget was blown on the body, and because I didn't have a wide selection of FF lenses and couldn't afford new or even lightly used, I discovered "vintage"manual lenses. This discovery quickly brought me to these forums for all of the excellent lens reviews and I'm now a proud owner of a growing collection of mostly Tamron Adaptall and a couple of Vivitar lenses. To be fair, much of the older glass is good to very good, even by today's standards; but because I'm in it for enjoyment and art, the pixel peeping aspect doesn't affect me unless it's a horrible lens which this forum and others seem to uncover pretty quickly.

As I read more and more here, it was clear that you all feel that if someone is going to shoot with manual lenses, then they really need a Pentax - but, what else would I expect from Pentax forum? The siren's song didn't reach me until my latest lens ($18 + S&H) arrived with an Adaptall P/KA attached. Now with a "free" P/KA in-hand, I could no longer resist and quickly found a nice, clean local K-30 ($150).

After just three weeks of using the Pentax with these old lenses, my enjoyment in photography has taken a couple of steps up. They make me feel more connected to the camera (it's not just an appliance) and I'm thrust right into the middle of scene; allowing and forcing composition to my liking. I find that the features on the K-30 are just the right balance between 1980 camera and 2019 camera.

So, for those of you who haven't yet become enlightened, as a newbie I'll summarize: Pentax have designed their cameras to play nicely with old lenses. In-body stabilization, green-button metering stop-down, focus confirm, catch-in-focus, full-auto, aperture and shutter priority with manual lenses, fast burst, DOF preview, competitive crop sensor performance, weather proofing. Unlike my expensive full frame, the K-30 and lenses are cheap enough that I'm not nervous about bringing the camera anywhere.

It will be interesting to see when the full-frame camera comes out and when the K-30 appears. The manual lens experience makes me look at photography differently and I think a bit better - even if I'm not hitting focus spot on all the time. Maybe though it's just the additional joy that's showing through.

---

02-25-2019, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Pentax has 2 full size sensor camera bodies ( full frame )

Pentax K-1 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review

Introduction
The Pentax K-1 full frame camera launched in February 2016 and made quite a splash in the Pentax community. This first full frame Pentax DSLR, loaded with many new and innovative features, was the camera many users had been waiting for. A popular and well-liked camera, the K-1 includes elements such as night illumination, a unique tilting LCD, a built-in GPS, shake reduction and pixel shift.
Fast forward in 2018. The K-1 is still as capable as before, and full frame cameras have a longer upgrade cycle than entry-level APS-C products. Nonetheless, Ricoh felt the time had come to offer an upgrade to their flagship. Enter the K-1 Mark II, a new DSLR which is almost identical to its predecessor, but with the inclusion of several new elements:

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Mark II vs K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 Review
Introduction
Despite being over a decade into the digital era, Pentax entered the full-frame market with a bang. The new Pentax K-1 was the subject of endless discussion well before its release— and now that the camera is available, Pentax shooters across the world rejoice as they can make use of both old and new lenses on the full-frame format.

Read more at: Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax K-1 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
02-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

This looks like a cut-n-paste post from something written 7 or 8 years ago.
02-25-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is great for vintage lenses. The vivitars and adaptalls come in nikon too and get a nikkor 105mm f2.5 ai or ais for the nikon, it's a joy.

02-25-2019, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Subject matter well covered, I'll just welcome to the forum.
02-25-2019, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, there's no better way to learn your basics than with a manual lens. Now I use my FA100 macro in manual mode and can be pretty confident that I will nail exposure based on conditions and flash use.

I should get out soon with one of the old 50mm lenses in the sun and have some fun again. I bought the A50 f1.7 and M50 f1.4 lenses for a reason, right?
02-25-2019, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum! I feel the same way about my collection of manual primes. If it hasn't already, those low cost manual lenses will empty your wallet just the same.