Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I to have felt the pressure to go to Nikon. If I lived on the west coast as you do, I would buy a K-1 and the 15-30mm and more primes and travel that coast.

I'm moving to Washington state in a couple months so I'm definitely going to be out photographing as much as I can.

03-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just curious, why did you leave, and what caused you to return?
03-01-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Just curious, why did you leave, and what caused you to return?
I left because I wasn't really invested into any system, and was pressured by some colleagues to get a Nikon. The Nikon just never felt right in my hands since using the K3ii. I decided that since I wasn't fully invested into the Nikon system either I was gonna sell it and fully invest into the Pentax system. I'm glad I did because I just love the way the K1ii fits in my hands. I love the image output of the camera and just how rock solid its built.
03-01-2019, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My problem with the Nikon DSLR system is the lack of IBIS. I love a lot of other things about it. With the new mirrorless bodies at least that is no longer the case. Without IBIS I wouldn't be interested in investing in a system.

03-01-2019, 04:25 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's definitely one of the things I love about the Pentax system. Especially with the K1ii, the IBIS and Astrotracer functionality is another reason I decided to go back.
03-01-2019, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome home Y_V_E_S!
03-01-2019, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome home.

I too have the D7200. It's okay, but I rarely reach for it. Instead I grab the D800E, D3s or D4 if I need Nikon's focus system. But I almost always reach for my K-1 and one of the FA Limiteds first.

03-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Welcome home.

I too have the D7200. It's okay, but I rarely reach for it. Instead I grab the D800E, D3s or D4 if I need Nikon's focus system. But I almost always reach for my K-1 and one of the FA Limiteds first.
Yeah, the D4 is an autofocus monster with a buffer from here to the moon. I've seen what some guys can do with those. I've been told the only problem with it is cropping photos. We were photographing birds that day. I personally don't want to spend $6,000 just on a body.
03-02-2019, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Y_V_E_S Quote
Well, I left because I wasn't really invested into any system, and was pressured by some colleagues to get a Nikon. The Nikon D7200 was nice but after using it for the year I had it, it just didn't feel good in my hands. I just missed the feel of the Pentax. After getting the K1ii it just felt right.

---------- Post added 03-01-19 at 11:41 AM ----------

I'm loving it! For some reason I already knew my way around the camera like i've had it for years. As for lenses, I was debating whether to get invest in the 3 amigos or go with the DFA zooms but I think i'm going with the route that suites me well and my style of photography with the amigos. The 31mm is a gorgeous lens and renders wonderful images with the K1ii. Can't wait to grab the 43 and 77.
Most of my friends shoot NIkon too and they say that I will eventually end up shooting NIkon mostly for the many gear options it offers and the third party support from Sigma, Tamron etc. The truth is that I switched from NIkon to Pentax and although I would love the abundance of lens options and some of the qualities of the NIkon brand (mostly the AF/AF-C performance of the sport cameras) I love my K-1 with all its shortcomings but also all the advantages over NIkon and I know the investment I have made to Pentax wouldn’t give me better results if I was shooting NIkon. You need serious money to get the high end cameras and the tele primes that make the difference I don’t have the money, nor am I a pro, but nevertheless I can get same level results even with less consistency.
03-03-2019, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Most of my friends shoot NIkon too and they say that I will eventually end up shooting NIkon mostly for the many gear options it offers and the third party support from Sigma, Tamron etc.
Every brand has strengths as well as weaknesses. Gear and lens options has never been a weakness for Pentax. There are way more options due to backward lens compatibility. And I certainly don't invest in a brand for third-party options, I choose a brand to use that brand. Yes, less support from third-party companies is a weakness, and I do own other-brand lenses in K-mount, but I'd much rather use * lenses and Limited lenses. Limited lenses are something special no other camera company can offer.
03-03-2019, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome back on your return.
03-17-2019, 10:28 PM - 2 Likes   #27

Welcome back. I know exactly what you mean when you say the Pentax feels right. I have owned Nikon (FM film, coolpix 8700, and D500), Olympus (E-3, E-500, E420), and Canon 5Ti (most bought used) in my search for camera system I wanted for life. I was considering a Canon D40 or Pentax K20d. The body of the Pentax was the determining factor and then I discovered the rest - WOW!! I will never go away. Now I have the K-1, and was easily using it immediately, the learning curve was basically zero from the K20d... even with a 3rd wheel! Just an awesome brand.
03-18-2019, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums. I also have a Pentax K-1 II. It is a wonderful camera.