Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Introduction

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I'm buzzardluck! Once I was on top of my photography game using a Speed Graphic, many moons ago. Then I bought a Yashika D, and then finally an Asahi Pentax while in the navy. I used the Pentax for many years and was very happy with it. Now I'm retired and disabled. I hobble along fairly well. I'm currently attempting to find a low price digital camera that a retiree can afford, i.e. under $200.00. The more under the better. So, I've been reading a bit and it seems at first glance that the Pentax DS is a good choice since I still like to monkey around with appature, shutter speed, and manual focus. Am I thinking right? And if so does anyone have any recommendations as to where to purchase and why? Many thanks.

03-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would get something newer. If you're really on a budget, aim for the Pentax K-x. IMO, the image quality of anything older isn't worth bothering with (given how far technology has advanced).

My personal recommendation would be to get a K-5. It's doable for just around $200 and you won't regret it! For example:

PENTAX K-5 Body Used, great shape, original owner, shutter count 8066 | eBay

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2019, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Or one of these, a weather resistant 16mpx camera. I know you said under $200 but just add a bit more and you'll have a great camera that's weather resistant, a great ISO too. Lowest ISO is 80. I have one and love it.

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body, Black {16.3 M/P} - Digital Cameras - Cameras at KEH Camera
03-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Buzzardluck! Camera costs are a difficulty for most of us. The advice you have received so far is solid but take your time and read through the forum discussions and reviews. Be sure to check the Marketplace. Bargains turn up there regularly.

03-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Or one of these, a weather resistant 16mpx camera. I know you said under $200 but just add a bit more and you'll have a great camera that's weather resistant, a great ISO too. Lowest ISO is 80. I have one and love it.

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body, Black {16.3 M/P} - Digital Cameras - Cameras at KEH Camera
A special thank you for your recommendations of both the K5 and KEH. I visited their site and they do have some offerings. They do seem like a good company and I will call them tomorrow. Again, thanks and blessings.
03-04-2019, 12:33 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by buzzardluck Quote
A special thank you for your recommendations of both the K5 and KEH. I visited their site and they do have some offerings. They do seem like a good company and I will call them tomorrow. Again, thanks and blessings.
You're welcome. I bought my first two digital Pentax cameras from them and a few lenses from them too. They have a good warranty period too. That's what I like most of all when dealing with them. If it's defective, they'll take it back, pay the shipping and refund you the shipping you paid in the first place.
03-04-2019, 02:57 AM   #7

Welcome.

Personally I'd consider looking at a K10D as those can be had cheap and they're a big leap up from the *ist DS.

03-04-2019, 03:39 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forum

since you live in the US, I urge you to check the forum's market place " buy / sell " it seems that more items are available in the US
you can filter it to reflect the country where the item is located. [ KEH.com is also a good source and there is that warranty ]

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

you never know what " deals " might be found. I have had very good luck dealing with other members there

don't forget the excellent reviews ( both user and " in depth " ) under " cameras " and the forum's helpful tool where you can compare several cameras side by side:

Pentax K-7 vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K10D - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-04-2019 at 03:48 AM.
03-04-2019, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Chicago! Used bodies are the route for you, as you've read already.
I still use my K5 as a second body, and it mounts the DA300 in the field while my K3II sports an FA100mm macro. Yeah, it's a heavy setup but the harness is good. The Sony 16MP sensor just produces pleasant images.

I'll probably replace the K5 eventually but it's been a real tank, it must be among the most robust DSLRs ever built, and still delivers.
03-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
Welcome.

Personally I'd consider looking at a K10D as those can be had cheap and they're a big leap up from the *ist DS.
The K10D definitely fits my budget and my particular need. I'm primarily using it to photograph products indoor and under controlled lighting. So it would probably work well for now. Then I can begin saving for an upgrade. Thank you for your comment.
03-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote

Bought it, thank you!
03-05-2019, 05:22 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my first " modern " DSLR was a K 5 II

I think you will enjoy your K 5
03-05-2019, 07:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my first " modern " DSLR was a K 5 II

I think you will enjoy your K 5
Thank you. The K-5 suits my needs. My head is still swimming in lenses but it's beginning to come into focus.
03-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your photography the Pentax way.
03-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your photography the Pentax way.
Thank you. I've learned a lot already thanks to the peeps here and it will only get better lol.

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 12:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by buzzardluck Quote
The K10D definitely fits my budget and my particular need. I'm primarily using it to photograph products indoor and under controlled lighting. So it would probably work well for now. Then I can begin saving for an upgrade. Thank you for your comment.
Yup, I accidentally bought the K10D as well. I made a very low offer on one on Ebay. The seller waited and I thought he rejected my offer, then, all of a sudden, he acccepted it...lol. So now I have the K10D and the K-5. Begezzus, cameras everywhere. LOL.