Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

Hello from Ohio

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi I’m new to photography and I’m just a hobbyist. I just purchased k-1 and HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW. K1 I got is around $1200 it’s used and shutter count is around 1700 and HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW is the new one around $996 I think it’s a good combination to begin with. Now saving money for HD PENTAX-DA★11-18mm F2.8ED DC AW. And one good macro lens and I should good for few years...

03-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

Wow... new to photography and you bought a K-1 and D FA* 50/1.4?? That's some kit. Congratulations!

Regarding the DA*11-18, be aware that it's designed for APS-C crop-sensor format. You'd be better off with the full-frame D FA15-30

As for macro lenses, there's a few choices, but you're probably best looking at the D FA100/2.8 WR Macro. It's a tried and trusted lens with many fans, and for good reason
03-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums

Wow... new to photography and you bought a K-1 and D FA* 50/1.4?? That's some kit. Congratulations!

Regarding the DA*11-18, be aware that it's designed for APS-C crop-sensor format. You'd be better off with the full-frame D FA15-30

As for macro lenses, there's a few choices, but you're probably best looking at the D FA100/2.8 WR Macro. It's a tried and trusted lens with many fans, and for good reason
// APS-C crop-sensor // I don’t know what it means. I’m new to photography. I apologize. So will it work on k1 or not? I want to have a nice wide angle lens and found this one has star on. Since I spent all my paycheck already it might take some time to buy a good landscape lens.
03-05-2019, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bedisaab Quote
// APS-C crop-sensor // I don’t know what it means. I’m new to photography. I apologize. So will it work on k1 or not? I want to have a nice wide angle lens and found this one has star on. Since I spent all my paycheck already it might take some time to buy a good landscape lens.
The Pentax K-1 and K-1II have sensors that are equivalent in size to 35mm film. Modern lenses specifically designed for this format are labelled as D FA. Those labelled D FA* are premium models, with exceptional image quality (though all can be considered as "very good"). Lenses labelled as DA or DA* are designed for smaller sensor cameras - those with sensors that are smaller than the old 35mm film format. They're meant for cameras such as the K-3 and K-5 series, K-50, K-30, etc. The K-1 and K-1II have a "crop" mode built into them that will allow a smaller part of the sensor to be used along with DA lenses, but this is equivalent to using those lenses on a smaller sensor camera like the K-3 or K-5. So, yes, the DA*11-18 lens will work on the K-1, but not using all of the sensor. If you want a current, high-performance wide angle zoom lens for the K-1 that allows full use of the sensor, you should look at the D FA15-30

03-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The Pentax K-1 and K-1II have sensors that are equivalent in size to 35mm film. Modern lenses specifically designed for this format are labelled as D FA. Those labelled D FA* are premium models, with exceptional image quality (though all can be considered as "very good"). Lenses labelled as DA or DA* are designed for smaller sensor cameras - those with sensors that are smaller than the old 35mm film format. They're meant for cameras such as the K-3 and K-5 series, K-50, K-30, etc. The K-1 and K-1II have a "crop" mode built into them that will allow a smaller part of the sensor to be used along with DA lenses, but this is equivalent to using those lenses on a smaller sensor camera like the K-3 or K-5. So, yes, the DA*11-18 lens will work on the K-1, but not using all of the sensor. If you want a current, high-performance wide angle zoom lens for the K-1 that allows full use of the sensor, you should look at the D FA15-30
Ok it sounds Greek to me right now but hopefully one day it make sense. Ok so no to DA*11-18 since k1 won't be able to utilize it fully. Haven't read much about DFA15-30 but if it's good for landscape photography then I am into it. What abouot new 35mm F/2? is it worth buying it? Now I know 100mm macro WR is my next target but can't understand how to use this new 35mm lens since it's not that expensive I am tempted to buy it

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 06:38 PM ----------

I found Pentax 20 SMC Pentax-FA 1:2.8 20mm

is also very good for the landscape and it's not that expensive I will try this one first. How does it sound?
03-05-2019, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Elida, Ohio. That FA 20 is probably a nice lens, you don't see them for sale often., sorry I have not seen one. I think that's pretty wide, probably considered ultrawide for full frame. Landscapes can be shot with many different focal lengths and wide is not always the choice. Browse through some of the photos on this site and a site like Flickr, where you can usually see the EXIF data which shows the focal length the photo was taken with. I like landscape shooting and I've taken them everywhere from 10mm to 300mm, I've probably taken more at 300 than 10. It all depends on the subject or terrain or scene of what you are taking, and how much of it you want to include. Sometimes if your only option is a very wide angle, you may have to include elements you don't want in a photo. An example would be if there was an old barn that is interesting, but there is something close like a modern house, or anything else that seems out of place. Sometimes the photos we take are somewhat of an illusion, creating an imaginary scene that's not really real. Yes, you crop things out, but then you are left with a smaller photo. This maybe doesn't make sense to you since I've rambled about, the point is you don't have to use a wide angle lens for landscapes, sometimes you may need one, sometimes you won't. Just like they say you can zoom in or out with your feet, that works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you are pretty restricted on where you can shoot from, I don't really like to walk over cliffs or into traffic. Anyway, enjoy your camera and have fun with it!
03-06-2019, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome from Elida, Ohio. That FA 20 is probably a nice lens, you don't see them for sale often., sorry I have not seen one. I think that's pretty wide, probably considered ultrawide for full frame. Landscapes can be shot with many different focal lengths and wide is not always the choice. Browse through some of the photos on this site and a site like Flickr, where you can usually see the EXIF data which shows the focal length the photo was taken with. I like landscape shooting and I've taken them everywhere from 10mm to 300mm, I've probably taken more at 300 than 10. It all depends on the subject or terrain or scene of what you are taking, and how much of it you want to include. Sometimes if your only option is a very wide angle, you may have to include elements you don't want in a photo. An example would be if there was an old barn that is interesting, but there is something close like a modern house, or anything else that seems out of place. Sometimes the photos we take are somewhat of an illusion, creating an imaginary scene that's not really real. Yes, you crop things out, but then you are left with a smaller photo. This maybe doesn't make sense to you since I've rambled about, the point is you don't have to use a wide angle lens for landscapes, sometimes you may need one, sometimes you won't. Just like they say you can zoom in or out with your feet, that works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you are pretty restricted on where you can shoot from, I don't really like to walk over cliffs or into traffic. Anyway, enjoy your camera and have fun with it!
Me either I can’t walk across the cliff etc but those photos seem so dazzling. I didn’t buy Nikon, Canon, because lens choice was so much including third party ones that I gave up. With Pentax lens seem like ok it’s manageable. Now I think may be not so much lol. Yeah I can’t wait for the camera. I also can’t wait new star 85mm upcoming since now I know it’s FA lenses I need to focus upon. I saw in read there is an ultra wide star lens upcoming too. I’m going to keep my kit small since it’s not the lens collection I’m after but pictures collection

03-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and congratulations, you have an excellent kit.

the info in these charts might be of help, one explains how the various Pentax lenses work on various Pentax Camera bodies, the other explains about the differences between the various Pentax lens series.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

there is a speedy tool which checks lenses and camera bodies:

Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

reviews of various lenses can be found under " Lenses " above and similar reviews for cameras are under " Cameras "

if you need an owner's manual for your K 1: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-1.pdf

and for the difference between full size and APS-C sensors, here is a source of info if you are interested:

Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor: Which is Right For You?

an old " film " rule of thumb: wide angle 35mm and below, " normal " 50mmish, telephoto above 70mm

35mm film cameras used a full size sensor the same size as your K 1

as you can tell lots of friendly folks here willing to help you out.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-06-2019 at 05:38 AM.
03-06-2019, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from a fellow Buckeye, Toledo area here. Congratulations on the new K1 + FA* 50, I understand that's a great combination. IF you're new to photography, you came to the right place. The forum is a wonderful meeting place where you can get plenty of helpful information. Regarding a new wide angle lens, have you considered an older manual lens? It could help you in your advancement in photography, since you will be 'forced' to learn the basics. Furthermore, they are relatively inexpensive. Check out the lens review section of the forum at the K, M and A series lenses. Also search the Lens Sample Photo Archive for examples from various lenses. Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions. Folks here want to help you.
03-06-2019, 06:01 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
W. . . . Regarding a new wide angle lens, have you considered an older manual lens? It could help you in your advancement in photography, since you will be 'forced' to learn the basics. Furthermore, they are relatively inexpensive. . . .
personally speaking I have had very good luck in buying " experienced " equipment from other forum members via the forum's market place " buy/sell "

it can be filtered to show the items' location

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com
03-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum, from Auburn, Indiana!
Congratulations on you camera and lens combo.

The 100mm WR is a great lens. I've used it on the beach shooting birds, on the trails shooting bugs, and at HS band competitions.
03-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me either I can’t walk across the cliff etc but those photos seem so dazzling. I didn’t buy Nikon, Canon, because lens choice was so much including third party ones that I gave up. With Pentax lens seem like ok it’s manageable. Now I think may be not so much lol. Yeah I can’t wait for the camera. I also can’t wait new star 85mm upcoming since now I know it’s FA lenses I need to focus upon. I saw in read there is an ultra wide star lens upcoming too. I’m going to keep my kit small since it’s not the lens collection I’m after but pictures collection
Good approach, I have some lenses that I haven't used in maybe a year. For a while I was buying a lot of old lenses that were cheap, but I had some that I had never even tried before I sold them.
03-06-2019, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I’m going to keep my kit small since it’s not the lens collection I’m after but pictures collection
decide on your " target " and then target your gear to do what you want.

not every lens is needed

knowledge, experience and equipment is the formula my dad taught me. all in combination, none sufficient on its own

[ I never said I learned the lesson, only that is what I was taught ]
03-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse.
Do some reading now, about ASPC lenses and whether they can cover the larger FF sensor. That information is in the lens reviews. Crop mode is available, too, on the K-1. It's useful.

For macro lenses, figure out what you want to do and look for the right lens. Used ones can be less expensive, of course. There are a lot of good choices available.
03-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome here. enjoy that fine kit you've bought.