Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome and congratulations, you have an excellent kit.

the info in these charts might be of help, one explains how the various Pentax lenses work on various Pentax Camera bodies, the other explains about the differences between the various Pentax lens series.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

there is a speedy tool which checks lenses and camera bodies:

Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera

reviews of various lenses can be found under " Lenses " above and similar reviews for cameras are under " Cameras "

if you need an owner's manual for your K 1: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-1.pdf

and for the difference between full size and APS-C sensors, here is a source of info if you are interested:

Full Frame Sensor vs Crop Sensor: Which is Right For You?

an old " film " rule of thumb: wide angle 35mm and below, " normal " 50mmish, telephoto above 70mm

35mm film cameras used a full size sensor the same size as your K 1

as you can tell lots of friendly folks here willing to help you out.
Thanks those are very useful links. I'd have a look it involves a bit reading I guess. Never guess photography can be hard too...

---------- Post added 03-06-19 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Welcome from a fellow Buckeye, Toledo area here. Congratulations on the new K1 + FA* 50, I understand that's a great combination. IF you're new to photography, you came to the right place. The forum is a wonderful meeting place where you can get plenty of helpful information. Regarding a new wide angle lens, have you considered an older manual lens? It could help you in your advancement in photography, since you will be 'forced' to learn the basics. Furthermore, they are relatively inexpensive. Check out the lens review section of the forum at the K, M and A series lenses. Also search the Lens Sample Photo Archive for examples from various lenses. Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions. Folks here want to help you.
I might be wrong but one person who got Pentax K1 said that those manual focus vintage lens messed up the manual focus of his camera and now he is not able to get it repaired. But I might be wrong or he probably got defective unit to begin with

---------- Post added 03-06-19 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Welcome to the forum, from Auburn, Indiana!
Congratulations on you camera and lens combo.

The 100mm WR is a great lens. I've used it on the beach shooting birds, on the trails shooting bugs, and at HS band competitions.
Yup can't wait to buy that one I heard it's a bit soft compared to new Tamron or Sigma but can't wait to try that on k1

---------- Post added 03-06-19 at 11:49 AM ----------

decide on your " target " and then target your gear to do what you want.

not every lens is needed

knowledge, experience and equipment is the formula my dad taught me. all in combination, none sufficient on its own

[ I never said I learned the lesson, only that is what I was taught ]
Same here. I know I said that lens collection is not in my mind but it is in my heart. I just can't resist when I see those lens. I wish Tamron or Sigma makes those brilliant lenses they are making for Nikon or Canon that is not fair to Pentax.

03-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
. . . For macro lenses, figure out what you want to do and look for the right lens. Used ones can be less expensive, of course. There are a lot of good choices available.
regarding costs and options for the different versions of the 100mm F2.8 Macro lenses

quoting from the In Depth Review of the D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro:

Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review

Specifications

The lens covers the full 24x36mm format, not just APS-C. The aperture blades are rounded, delivering a smoother bokeh which is important for a macro lens. However, unlike its predecessor, it has no aperture ring.

The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews
03-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #18

Original Poster
Welcome from a fellow Buckeye, Toledo area here. Congratulations on the new K1 + FA* 50, I understand that's a great combination. IF you're new to photography, you came to the right place. The forum is a wonderful meeting place where you can get plenty of helpful information. Regarding a new wide angle lens, have you considered an older manual lens? It could help you in your advancement in photography, since you will be 'forced' to learn the basics. Furthermore, they are relatively inexpensive. Check out the lens review section of the forum at the K, M and A series lenses. Also search the Lens Sample Photo Archive for examples from various lenses. Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions. Folks here want to help you.
Hey you ain't that far. Can I come to see you with my camera to make sure everything is working good and I did not get scammed? I might also get few tips how to be a great photographer
03-06-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bedisaab Quote
Hey you ain't that far. Can I come to see you with my camera to make sure everything is working good and I did not get scammed? I might also get few tips how to be a great photographer
We can surely get together, I'll also let you play with a few lenses. One thing, I don't own a K-1 so I'm not really familiar with how it operates but we could likely figure it out. At least I can show you the basics.

Regarding the manual lenses, I suspect the lens used was a non Pentax lens with the cursed Ricoh pin. You can read about it here:

lens - Can I use old Pentax lenses on newer Pentax DSLRs? - Photography Stack Exchange

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

03-06-2019, 01:29 PM   #20

Original Poster
We can surely get together, I'll also let you play with a few lenses. One thing, I don't own a K-1 so I'm not really familiar with how it operates but we could likely figure it out. At least I can show you the basics.

Regarding the manual lenses, I suspect the lens used was a non Pentax lens with the cursed Ricoh pin. You can read about it here:

lens - Can I use old Pentax lenses on newer Pentax DSLRs? - Photography Stack Exchange

I will really appreciate that since I want to have the feel of the lens before spending money on it. I am in college right now and will be free for two weeks in next 8 weeks or so and I will let you know and we can go out and you show me great tips of photography... lol
03-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bedisaab Quote
I will really appreciate that since I want to have the feel of the lens before spending money on it. I am in college right now and will be free for two weeks in next 8 weeks or so and I will let you know and we can go out and you show me great tips of photography... lol
Warning, I own some nice manual lenses so be prepared to try them out.

I also have a few auto focus lenses we can shoot with.
03-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Regarding the manual lenses, I suspect the lens used was a non Pentax lens with the cursed Ricoh pin. You can read about it here:

yes, there are some things you mist be aware of with the older third party lenses:

The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.
The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem.

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

03-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #23

Original Poster
yes, there are some things you mist be aware of with the older third party lenses:

The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.
The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem.

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Thanks for that. I think I've decided to buy 15-30mm for the landscape next month probably and 100mm for the macro and I am not going to touch old lens to be honest. Rather I'd wait and save money for the next star FA pentax lenses to be released....