Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

Hello from Lancashire (and new to Pentax)

Hi everyone.

I've just switched to Pentax from Canon because I'm super into astrophotography and I'm sick of carting my tracker with me on EVERY trip out. Sometimes I just want to grab and go.

I'm also really interested in vintage lenses, because I find that character is a good substitute for quality. And price. That thing too. I can't afford everything Pentax has ever released, but I can afford everything they released in 1972. I also know I will probably never compete with most astrophotographers who have 20k invested in gear, but by using old or modified glass I can do my own thing.

Currently looking for recommendations on what 200mm+ lens to buy - I've got a beautiful Super Tak 200mm that is razor sharp, but I'm looking for somthing for birds, wildlife and so forth - Hopefully in the 300 range. Vintage or not in this instance, I'm still replacing my Canon glass.

03-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elephantswillforget Quote
Hi everyone.

I've just switched to Pentax from Canon because I'm super into astrophotography and I'm sick of carting my tracker with me on EVERY trip out. Sometimes I just want to grab and go.

I'm also really interested in vintage lenses, because I find that character is a good substitute for quality. And price. That thing too. I can't afford everything Pentax has ever released, but I can afford everything they released in 1972. I also know I will probably never compete with most astrophotographers who have 20k invested in gear, but by using old or modified glass I can do my own thing.

Currently looking for recommendations on what 200mm+ lens to buy - I've got a beautiful Super Tak 200mm that is razor sharp, but I'm looking for somthing for birds, wildlife and so forth - Hopefully in the 300 range. Vintage or not in this instance, I'm still replacing my Canon glass.
welcome

you can check out " user " and " in depth " reviews of various Pentax Lenses under " Lenses " above

another source of information can be found in the " Articles " section of the forum

be sure to ask questions here

a number of us love to suggest how you should spend your money
03-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, you may want to check out the Pentax K1 camera, as it has an "Astrotracer" mode built in.
03-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, you may want to check out the Pentax K1 camera, as it has an "Astrotracer" mode built in.
Already bought a K3ii I decided to go crop sensor this time rather than full frame. I might pick up the K1 at some point in the future...

03-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums

Congratulations on your K-3II... a very fine camera indeed.

Regarding your choices for a 200mm+ lens, at the budget you've set I would recommend the slightly older screw-drive Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR. SRS and Clifton Cameras in the UK are selling it for GBP 299 right now, and it's worth every penny, but you can probably find a used copy for considerably less, if you want to save a little money. The earlier pre-HD versions are just as good optically, cheaper still. You might pick one of these up for as little as 100 - 150 used.

Alternatively, for GBP 329, you could go for the latest Pentax HD DA55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 PLM WR. It has quicker, more accurate and almost-silent AF.

Given the small price difference (if you compare new with new), I'd go with the latest PLM lens and swallow the minor extra cost
03-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum, from a Liverpudlian who bought his first Pentax back in ..... 1972
03-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello and welcome to the forums

Congratulations on your K-3II... a very fine camera indeed.

Regarding your choices for a 200mm+ lens, at the budget you've set I would recommend the slightly older screw-drive Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR. SRS and Clifton Cameras in the UK are selling it for GBP 299 right now, and it's worth every penny, but you can probably find a used copy for considerably less, if you want to save a little money. The earlier pre-HD versions are just as good optically, cheaper still. You might pick one of these up for as little as 100 - 150 used.

Alternatively, for GBP 329, you could go for the latest Pentax HD DA55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 PLM WR. It has quicker, more accurate and almost-silent AF.

Given the small price difference (if you compare new with new), I'd go with the latest PLM lens and swallow the minor extra cost
Budget isn't REALLY a problem... I just like to get value. If you tell me that the only option is a 1500 lens, I'll look at it, but if it's only marginally better than the 55-300 then I'll go with that ha. I think the 55-300 might work well for me, adding the high quality primes as I go. I'm just glad I don't need to replace all my m42 lenses...
03-06-2019, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Welcome to the forum, from a Liverpudlian who bought his first Pentax back in ..... 1972
Ace! I wouldn't be born for another 16 years. Here is a photo I took on my 6D across the Mersey last year in thick fog...

Attached Images

03-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #9

Ace! I wouldn't be born for another 16 years. Here is a photo I took on my 6D across the Mersey last year in thick fog...
Nice one !!
03-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Budget isn't REALLY a problem... I just like to get value. If you tell me that the only option is a 1500 lens, I'll look at it, but if it's only marginally better than the 55-300 then I'll go with that ha. I think the 55-300 might work well for me, adding the high quality primes as I go.
Understood. That's a pretty sound approach, IMHO

I own the older screw-drive HD DA55-300, but also the far more expensive DA*60-250 f/4 (with constant f/4 aperture throughout the range). The latter is better, especially at wider aperture settings, and one of my favourite lenses... but stopped down a little, the much cheaper 55-300 gets remarkably close in image quality. Plus, it's compact and rather light.

If I was buying now, I'd go with the latest PLM version... if only for the improved AF speed and silent focusing, which is a big plus for birds and wildlife. But the older screw-drive models are great too.
03-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if budget isn't a problem and you can handle the weight and size, the D FA 150-450mm zoom is an option:

the In Depth Review regarding its use as a full sensor lens:

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6
Introduction
Back in June 2016, we presented our first review of the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW, which was the first member of the new lineup of full frame zoom lenses from Pentax. At the time, the review had been performed with a K-3 camera body as the full-frame K-1 had been announced but not yet released. Now that the K-1 has been out for some time and more users have access to it, it is time to revisit our review, this time testing the lens wih a full frame sensor. . . .

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

and the earlier In Depth Review of the same lens with a K 3:

HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 (APS-C)

Introduction

The long-awaited HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW telephoto zoom made its debut in early May, 2015 as the first of an upcoming series of Pentax full frame lenses. It was originally announced at CP+ 2015 in Tokyo alongside the Pentax full frame DSLR, which is scheduled for release in late 2015. . . .

This 5-pound behemoth is packed with Pentax's latest technologies, including three focusing modes, dedicated AF buttons on the lens barrel, a silent DC focusing system, the premium HD lens coating, and a super low dispersion glass element for superior aberration control. It offers the longest focal length for a zoom in the current Pentax lens lineup, and thus fills an important gap that had previously existed beyond 250mm. Its 150-450mm zoom range also complements the existing DA* 300mm F4 and DA 560mm F5.6 primes very nicely.

Although this lens was designed with the soon-to-be-released full frame DSLR in mind, it also works wonders on current APS-C bodies such as the Pentax K-3, K-S2, and K-3 II. We of course couldn't wait half a year to start testing it, so in this preliminary in-depth review, we will be evaluating the lens solely based on its performance with the aforementioned DSLRs. It other words, we will only be working with a cropped portion of the image circle. . .

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mm-prelim/introdu...#ixzz5hQcrBFxX

here is a link to the " user reviews "

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mm-f45-56-ed-dc-aw.html

it can be used hand held but of course a tripod does help

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-06-2019 at 02:15 PM.
03-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I second the vote for the PLM! Which lenses do you use for the astro shots?
03-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Howdy from New Jersey, USA!

If you are considering a vintage long tele, I am fervently of the belief the best lens is the SMC Pentax-A 400mm F5.6 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It has excellent build quality, is not too large, handles wonderfully, has a loverly damped focus ring that allows precise adjustment, sharp, good color and contrast (although some color aberrations) and is an all-around wonderful lens.

Despite having some more highly-specified teles, the A400 is my go-to for birds to bears to butterflies...