Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2019, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Washington DC (currently)
Posts: 4
Greetings all!

Hi everyone,

Hello from DC! I'm Chase. Thrilled to be a part of this community! I get my first DSLR tomorrow, a used K-70 with kit lens from KEH. I am so stoked! Ready to learn and share with you all.. I thought I would be going with a Nikon D3400 for the longest time but found Pentax and fell in love with the feature set. I plan to shoot mostly landscape and architectural photography and I also have a budding interest in astro and night work and the K-70 looks like it will suit me perfectly to start out.

03-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Photos: Albums
Posts: 341
Dude, you sound exactly like me when I got my K-50! Our areas of interest are pretty much identical too. I also chose Pentax because of the awesome features that nobody else seemed to have, such as focus peeking, weather resistance, etc!

Anyway, welcome.

I am no expert but here is some completely unsolicited advice just in case it helps: the biggest lesson I have learned from my experiences with the k-50 is that photography should be done for yourself first. Take every shot with no intention of ahowing it to anyone... that way you take the shot that makes you happy. If it ends up being something you want to share, great, but that's just a bonus.

My second biggest lesson is that glass is very important. Get some good glass asap. People here can help you do that without breaking the bank. The kit lens will limit what you can achieve in some ways and could lead to frustration. I think my biggest mistake with the k-50 was not finding a way to get better lenses for so long and often feeling frustrated that my images lacked the x-factor that I was seeking.
03-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,243
Welcome aboard. Certainly a lot of architectural opportunities in DC! KEH is a great (local to me) company. Enjoy your new (to you) Pentax!
03-20-2019, 02:33 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 41,905
Welcome aboard, enjoy your new camera once you get hands on.

03-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Washington DC (currently)
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Dude, you sound exactly like me when I got my K-50! Our areas of interest are pretty much identical too. I also chose Pentax because of the awesome features that nobody else seemed to have, such as focus peeking, weather resistance, etc!

Anyway, welcome.

I am no expert but here is some completely unsolicited advice just in case it helps: the biggest lesson I have learned from my experiences with the k-50 is that photography should be done for yourself first. Take every shot with no intention of ahowing it to anyone... that way you take the shot that makes you happy. If it ends up being something you want to share, great, but that's just a bonus.

My second biggest lesson is that glass is very important. Get some good glass asap. People here can help you do that without breaking the bank. The kit lens will limit what you can achieve in some ways and could lead to frustration. I think my biggest mistake with the k-50 was not finding a way to get better lenses for so long and often feeling frustrated that my images lacked the x-factor that I was seeking.
Thank you for the welcome! That's awesome we share the same interests - so often I see photographer friends are all about portraits and while I get it, it's just not held as much interest to me. I love nature and I love cities so being able to capture the two are my goal. The weather sealing is what made me first consider Pentax - when I saw that I realized it was something no one else was going in the entry level or even most mid range DSLRs!

That's good advice. I think it will be easy to want to constantly share the things I create which is great but it's a good grounding to remind myself that I'm doing this as a hobby for me at the base level.

I definitely want to get some better lens soon - thinking I might start with a wide angle prime!
03-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Washington DC (currently)
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome aboard. Certainly a lot of architectural opportunities in DC! KEH is a great (local to me) company. Enjoy your new (to you) Pentax!
Thank you! Yeah, I foresee even more venturing into various parts of DC here to capture shots! KEH gave me a great deal and it was a super smooth process. Hoping everything comes today in great shape (I'm sure it will).
03-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Washington DC (currently)
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, enjoy your new camera once you get hands on.
Thank you! That's the plan for sure!!
03-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 792
Welcome, and please how us what you can do with that great K-70

03-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: Arkansas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13
Welcome Chase!
Primes are definitely the way to go for quality as mentioned. One I would recommend is the Pentax DA L 35mm f2.4. It will give a "normal" perspective on the crop sensor of your camera and later if you decide to go to Full Frame it will work on that also. It is inexpensive but a good performer. May not be GREAT but it is extremely good for the price. One other piece of advice, check out the lens reviews on the forum, great info in there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-70
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greetings All-- Need Guidance Too Yasar Emm Welcomes and Introductions 12 12-27-2018 02:07 PM
Greetings To All Pentaxians ajazzman Welcomes and Introductions 4 05-30-2015 03:07 AM
Greetings to all chirocanonpan Welcomes and Introductions 97 04-24-2013 05:58 PM
Greetings from Tennessee...hey, all y'all!! O2CN3D Welcomes and Introductions 6 11-22-2012 09:24 AM
Greetings, greetings! TysonG Welcomes and Introductions 4 06-16-2008 11:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top