Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2019, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #1

Greetings all!

Hi everyone,

Hello from DC! I'm Chase. Thrilled to be a part of this community! I get my first DSLR tomorrow, a used K-70 with kit lens from KEH. I am so stoked! Ready to learn and share with you all.. I thought I would be going with a Nikon D3400 for the longest time but found Pentax and fell in love with the feature set. I plan to shoot mostly landscape and architectural photography and I also have a budding interest in astro and night work and the K-70 looks like it will suit me perfectly to start out.

03-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dude, you sound exactly like me when I got my K-50! Our areas of interest are pretty much identical too. I also chose Pentax because of the awesome features that nobody else seemed to have, such as focus peeking, weather resistance, etc!

Anyway, welcome.

I am no expert but here is some completely unsolicited advice just in case it helps: the biggest lesson I have learned from my experiences with the k-50 is that photography should be done for yourself first. Take every shot with no intention of ahowing it to anyone... that way you take the shot that makes you happy. If it ends up being something you want to share, great, but that's just a bonus.

My second biggest lesson is that glass is very important. Get some good glass asap. People here can help you do that without breaking the bank. The kit lens will limit what you can achieve in some ways and could lead to frustration. I think my biggest mistake with the k-50 was not finding a way to get better lenses for so long and often feeling frustrated that my images lacked the x-factor that I was seeking.
03-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. Certainly a lot of architectural opportunities in DC! KEH is a great (local to me) company. Enjoy your new (to you) Pentax!
03-20-2019, 02:33 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, enjoy your new camera once you get hands on.

03-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Dude, you sound exactly like me when I got my K-50! Our areas of interest are pretty much identical too. I also chose Pentax because of the awesome features that nobody else seemed to have, such as focus peeking, weather resistance, etc!

Anyway, welcome.

I am no expert but here is some completely unsolicited advice just in case it helps: the biggest lesson I have learned from my experiences with the k-50 is that photography should be done for yourself first. Take every shot with no intention of ahowing it to anyone... that way you take the shot that makes you happy. If it ends up being something you want to share, great, but that's just a bonus.

My second biggest lesson is that glass is very important. Get some good glass asap. People here can help you do that without breaking the bank. The kit lens will limit what you can achieve in some ways and could lead to frustration. I think my biggest mistake with the k-50 was not finding a way to get better lenses for so long and often feeling frustrated that my images lacked the x-factor that I was seeking.
Thank you for the welcome! That's awesome we share the same interests - so often I see photographer friends are all about portraits and while I get it, it's just not held as much interest to me. I love nature and I love cities so being able to capture the two are my goal. The weather sealing is what made me first consider Pentax - when I saw that I realized it was something no one else was going in the entry level or even most mid range DSLRs!

That's good advice. I think it will be easy to want to constantly share the things I create which is great but it's a good grounding to remind myself that I'm doing this as a hobby for me at the base level.

I definitely want to get some better lens soon - thinking I might start with a wide angle prime!
03-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome aboard. Certainly a lot of architectural opportunities in DC! KEH is a great (local to me) company. Enjoy your new (to you) Pentax!
Thank you! Yeah, I foresee even more venturing into various parts of DC here to capture shots! KEH gave me a great deal and it was a super smooth process. Hoping everything comes today in great shape (I'm sure it will).
03-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, enjoy your new camera once you get hands on.
Thank you! That's the plan for sure!!

03-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, and please how us what you can do with that great K-70
03-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Chase!
Primes are definitely the way to go for quality as mentioned. One I would recommend is the Pentax DA L 35mm f2.4. It will give a "normal" perspective on the crop sensor of your camera and later if you decide to go to Full Frame it will work on that also. It is inexpensive but a good performer. May not be GREAT but it is extremely good for the price. One other piece of advice, check out the lens reviews on the forum, great info in there.