Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

New to Pentax and photography

Hello everyone I'm new to Pentax and photography. I'm just retired and looking to get away from point and shoot photography.. I just purchased a KS2 and I'm overwhelmed by all of the settings. Is there anywhere to get instructions on a good baseline of settings for my camera. I do not know where to start.

Thank you, Bruce

03-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce D Quote
I'm just retired
Welcome, at least now you've got the time to really enjoy your photography.
03-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Bruce. Welcome to the Forum.

There is no need to get overwhelmed. Leave the camera in P (or even green) mode for starters and just go out and take photos. Look critically at them and consider what you like about the results and what you could have done better. Look at other people's photos and do the same. Read a bit about the basics of the exposure triad (camera shutter speed, lens aperture and sensor ISO). They are the only settings you need to worry about for a while.

Chase good light. Get up early. Stay up late. The middle of the day is for lunch, not photography

Experiment. Fail. There's nothing to lose. That is one of the beauties of digital photography - you're not blowing good money on wasted film, developing, and printing.

Have FUN.
03-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. Yes, the first time with a DSLR can be a bit daunting. However, we have access to some amazing resources on this site. A good plave to start would be the review of the K-S2 which you will find here: Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

To get there (without the link), go to the menu at the top of this page, where it says "Forums, Cameras, Lenses, Accessories, etc ..." and click on "Cameras". From the drop down menu, select "Pentax K-mount DSLRs" and then go down to the K-S2, click on that and then click on the "In-depth Staff Review". In that you will find some recommended settings as well as a lot of other good info that will more than get you started.

Sorry if this is a bit detailed, but I like to be sure that someone is not left wondering how to get somewhere. There is so much info on the Forums.

Enjoy your retirement
Peter

03-21-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

as Sandy said: Have fun

as PJ said:

go to " Cameras " above for reviews of Pentax Cameras

Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

and to " Lenses " for review of lenses

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

as easy as that.
03-21-2019, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax, dslrs, and this friendly forum.
Did you use any settings on the point and shoot? What subjects do you like to shoot? Knowing this can help us help you. Learning has no time limit and can be much fun exploring if you don't push it so hard you fall off mental cliffs.
03-21-2019, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

03-21-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Just remember that a DSLR will take exactly the shot you tell it to. That is good when you get it right, and bad when you don't. The process of learning and figuring it out, then developing an eye and style takes a while and is enjoyable every step of the way.

And if you have a specific question by all means ask around here.
03-21-2019, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Closed Account

Welcome aboard Bruce.
03-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Welcome Bruce , do what I do when getting used to a camera etc go into the garden find a nice flower or something that looks photo worthy and take a photo then try all different settings even manual and change shutter speeds & iso etc on the same subject and see how they come out and you’ll learn what the settings do and know which way to turn the settings for quicker shutter and slower shutter etc for next time , just a idea ,
03-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lakingsfan82 Quote
Welcome Bruce , do what I do when getting used to a camera etc go into the garden find a nice flower or something that looks photo worthy and take a photo then try all different settings even manual and change shutter speeds & iso etc on the same subject and see how they come out and you’ll learn what the settings do and know which way to turn the settings for quicker shutter and slower shutter etc for next time , just a idea ,
Great suggestion!! I have to say everyone has been really really helpful thanks so much... Cheers Bruce
03-23-2019, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

There is no need to get overwhelmed. Leave the camera in P (or even green) mode for starters and just go out and take photos. Look critically at them and consider what you like about the results and what you could have done better. Look at other people's photos and do the same. Read a bit about the basics of the exposure triad (camera shutter speed, lens aperture and sensor ISO). They are the only settings you need to worry about for a while.

Chase good light. Get up early. Stay up late. The middle of the day is for lunch, not photography

Experiment. Fail. There's nothing to lose. That is one of the beauties of digital photography - you're not blowing good money on wasted film, developing, and printing.

Have FUN.
Your suggestions were incredibly helpful. Thanks so much. I went out last evening to take photos of my son flying his Paraglider.. I took shots that were pretty good right away... WOW. The articles you directed me to are awesome. I'm heading to Arizona next week with a lot more confidence. Your community of photographers are very welcoming and helpful.....
03-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums. Yes, the first time with a DSLR can be a bit daunting. However, we have access to some amazing resources on this site. A good plave to start would be the review of the K-S2 which you will find here: Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

To get there (without the link), go to the menu at the top of this page, where it says "Forums, Cameras, Lenses, Accessories, etc ..." and click on "Cameras". From the drop down menu, select "Pentax K-mount DSLRs" and then go down to the K-S2, click on that and then click on the "In-depth Staff Review". In that you will find some recommended settings as well as a lot of other good info that will more than get you started.

Sorry if this is a bit detailed, but I like to be sure that someone is not left wondering how to get somewhere. There is so much info on the Forums.

Enjoy your retirement
Peter
Hey PJ1 I was just in New Zealand for a wedding and had the opportunity to visit Sydney. I took my old standby point and shoot. I did get some great photos both in Australia and New Zealand. Had an awesome holiday....
03-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Have FUN.
Great advise thanks..
03-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

You can start out with P mode - the camera will think for you (mostly). You can leave auto focus on. Also leave white balance on auto.

For more control, choose Av (aperture value) and dial in the aperture of your choice. You will have to find out what aperture is to understand the difference that it makes, if you don't know it yet. Have fun!

There is also something called ISO. If you are not sure, choose 400. You can drop it to 100 for outdoors or up it to 3200 (or more) for indoors.