Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Greetings from Utah's Red Rock Country

New to Pentax Forums but old to photography; my grandfather was a photographer for the "Van Nuys Valley News and Green Sheet" back in the 60's and I'm afraid I caught the bug from him!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cliffk Quote
I caught the bug from him!
Wonderful " bug " to catch, and no cure available ( thank goodness ). Welcome aboard.

PS. Very good 1st image from you Cliff.
03-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Cliff. SE Utah is my favorite hiking area after Arizona. Is that Fremont culture art in your photo?
03-24-2019, 06:41 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy all that it has to offer.

03-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Welcome to the forum, Cliff. SE Utah is my favorite hiking area after Arizona. Is that Fremont culture art in your photo?
I believe so; I was hiking with an old friend who was one of the founders of the Utah Rock Art Research Association and I think that's what he told me. It's the "Three Kings" panel on the McConkie Ranch near Vernal, Utah. There is an actual style of petroglyph called the "Vernal Style" as well. There is rock are about everywhere you look, once you know what to look for. Some is remarkably well preserved. Of course there's some "cowboy graffiti" as well. Many of the panels show anthropomorphic figures holding "weeping heads" so it is believed that there was a head hunting civilization there. Don't go mid-day and take lots of water!