Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2019, 01:17 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Convert in Bridge Creek OK

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanting to say hi and share a little about me. My name is Brett, I am originally from Brighton, England, but now live in Oklahoma. I was a Canon user for close to 16 years and then switched to Fujifilm and was generally liking the system. As a writer for a huge photography blog I was given the opportunity to test out the K1 Mk II by Richoh.

After using the camera for close to four weeks I had discovered something I thought I had lost, my passion for photography. I know sounds weird seeing as I work in the industry as a business owner and gear editor right. It was just a gut feeling that I had. Something was missing, and I can say that the K1 Mk II let me find that again. After posting my review, and after talking to Ricoh for a while I made the decision to sell all of my Fujifilm gear and start fresh with Pentax! I got my new K1 Mk II ordered yesterday direct from Ricoh and it should be with me in the coming week. I am beyond excited about it, and I am very excited about becoming a part of these forums.

To start off with I will just have the D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR HD, I do however have the chance to buy the older Tamron 28-75, f2,8 as well though for about $275. Anyway I know I will build my lens collection up in time. Just wanted to say hi, and that I am looking forward to getting to know you guys. Hope you all have a great weekend.

03-30-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

if you want to provide it, I am sure folks would love to read your thoughts and comments on the K 1 II

here is a link to the " User " review section for it

Pentax K-1 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
03-30-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would love to provide it. I will grab the link and will share in the right thread. Thanks so much for letting me know about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome

if you want to provide it, I am sure folks would love to read your thoughts and comments on the K 1 II

here is a link to the " User " review section for it

03-30-2019, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
I would love to provide it. I will grab the link and will share in the right thread. Thanks so much for letting me know about it.
if you have info on other cameras and lenses please share

you may want to send a PM to Adam the administrator if you have any questions

. . . Anyway I know I will build my lens collection up in time. Just wanted to say hi, and that I am looking forward to getting to know you guys. Hope you all have a great weekend.
the forum's market place " buy/sell " has been a good source for me to find " experienced " equipment

it can be sorted by country

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

03-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster

I will do for sure. Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added 03-30-19 at 01:54 PM ----------

the forum's market place " buy/sell " has been a good source for me to find " experienced " equipment

it can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

No this is good to know. I am on the lookout for a whole host of lenses. I need to build my lens collection up rather quickly. This will be a great help.
03-30-2019, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Brett, and welcome - from the old country

It's great to hear that you've switched to the K-mount with that rather wonderful K-1II - a truly amazing camera from everything I've read. I look forward to reading your thoughts and experiences.

Regarding the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, it's a great little lens, offering a faster constant aperture than your D FA 28-105... However, do bear in mind that it's a film-era design. As such, you need to stop it down a little for best performance (though the two copies I own for different system mounts are perfectly usable at f/2.8 - just not "tack sharp"). Also, it's not unusual for these earlier Tamron AF lenses to require some AF fine adjustment - more so than Pentax's own modern glass. But, properly set up, I'm sure you'd like it. On Pentax APS-C cameras, it's my go-to lens, and on my Sony full-frame gear it does a great job when I don't want to carry my much-heavier Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8.

Looking forward to your involvement here
03-30-2019, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi Brett, and welcome - from the old country

It's great to hear that you've switched to the K-mount with that rather wonderful K-1II - a truly amazing camera from everything I've read. I look forward to reading your thoughts and experiences.

Regarding the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, it's a great little lens, offering a faster constant aperture than your D FA 28-105... However, do bear in mind that it's a film-era design. As such, you need to stop it down a little for best performance (though the two copies I own for different system mounts are perfectly usable at f/2.8 - just not "tack sharp"). Also, it's not unusual for these earlier Tamron AF lenses to require some AF fine adjustment - more so than Pentax's own modern glass. But, properly set up, I'm sure you'd like it. On Pentax APS-C cameras, it's my go-to lens, and on my Sony full-frame gear it does a great job when I don't want to carry my much-heavier Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8.

Looking forward to your involvement here
Thanks so much for the welcome. I really appreciate it. The K1 II is a fantastic camera and I cannot wait for my own to arrive. It was a sad day went I sent the review unit back to Ricoh, My only issue with the Tamron would be the AF. Having used many first gen Tamron lenses in the past I have experienced the deafening roar of the AF motors in quiet ceremonies lol. I'm not sure if the AF motor in the 28-75 is similar to that found in the old Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Model A0001. I will more than likely pass on that lens and will instead invest in a wider angle lens so I can get out to do some landscape work. Then the 70-200mm will be on my radar; though I have been looking at the Samyang 135mm too. I love their lenses, and for my portrait work MF won't be an issue.

03-30-2019, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I am on the lookout for a whole host of lenses. I need to build my lens collection up rather quickly. This will be a great help.
if you want to start down a slippery slope

you might consider the Pentax Limited series

here is 17 pages of posts regarding them

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com
03-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
if you want to start down a slippery slope

you might consider the Pentax Limited series

here is 17 pages of posts regarding them

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com
Slippery slope is my middle name. The 77mm looks beautiful.
03-30-2019, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #10
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Brett.
03-30-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Welcome Brett.
Thank you so much.
03-30-2019, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from another former Sussex dweller. Although I didn’t move quite so far away! (Hampshire!)
03-31-2019, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, lurk no more that's you introduced to us all now.
03-31-2019, 05:37 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Oklahoma! There used to be several of us on here who all belonged to a camera club in Oklahoma City. We'd love to have you come visit us sometime if you're so inclined. Regardless, I think you'll find this forum is a great place to hang out.
03-31-2019, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for the review and the link