Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2019, 04:14 AM   #1

Hello Planet Pentaxion

I am new to the site so let me introduce myself. I have used Pentax almost exclusively since my teenage years and have never regretted my choice. They are cleverly designed and fit my hands beautifully. I am now retired so have more time to devote to my hobbies - riding my bike, hiking, reading, and of course photography.

I have never had any formal training in photography or camera use, but years of trial and many errors have resulted in a reasonably competent amateur. I enjoy all forms of photography, not that a busy life allows the time to exploit that interest fully. I guess most of my photography has been family or travel.

Recently my niece decided to get married - in Scotland - and has asked me to be her official photographer. Of course I said yes - so now I am madly testing out the gear to make sure I remember its functions without having to drag out a manual! No time for that on her big day. Any suggestions on wedding photography in Scotland in August would be very welcome. It will be as different from Queensland as chalk is from cheese I am sure.

Australia is almost always bathed in plenty of glorious sunshine, sometimes too much. So there are particular challenges to getting a good looking shot here. Highlights are very bright and shadows are deep and dense. I am expecting the light in Scotland to be somewhat softer - especially if wet. Thank heavens for my 50mm f1.4. It may get me out of trouble.

Thanks for taking the trouble to read my ramble. I look forward to making a positive contribution - and learning a lot from Planet Pentaxion.

David of Oz.

04-02-2019, 04:16 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome
04-02-2019, 04:16 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi David, welcome from Melbourne.
04-02-2019, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

David, welcome! I suggest crafting a thread with a title related too the big event to get wider input. Not everyone reads the new user posts.

Be aware that probably 90% of us advise against what you're doing. A daughter's wedding day is a time that is better savored as a participant not as the photographer. At a minimum hire a 2nd photographer to get those shots with you in them as well as back you up in case of gear failure.

04-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by David of Oz Quote
Recently my niece decided to get married - in Scotland
Welcome to the forum and good for her, but then I maybe being a tad bias.

Whereabouts in Scotland is all this to happen in August?
04-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum and good for her, but then I maybe being a tad bias.

Whereabouts in Scotland is all this to happen in August?
Thanks Kerrowdown.

The wedding is in Fife at a town called Crail in a venue called The Cowshed.

David
04-02-2019, 09:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
David, welcome! I suggest crafting a thread with a title related too the big event to get wider input. Not everyone reads the new user posts.

Be aware that probably 90% of us advise against what you're doing. A daughter's wedding day is a time that is better savored as a participant not as the photographer. At a minimum hire a 2nd photographer to get those shots with you in them as well as back you up in case of gear failure.
Thank you UncleVanya.

Thanks for the advice on the thread. I would not dream of being my daughter's photographer. The lass is a niece so I will not be central to the ceremony. Just an avid spectator - with a job to do! I have been the wedding photographer several times before and all seemed to work out just fine. Hopefully this time will be a success as well.
David

04-02-2019, 10:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum David.
I've this last Saturday shot my first ever wedding. All went well and thanks to Lightroom and my K-1 I have some lovely photos to present to the bride and groom.

From what I've learnt from others: Zooms, not primes will be your go-to on the day. I found my Cactus RF60 flash to be very useful, both during the ceremony and after at the reception.

Kind regards,
Mark
04-03-2019, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum David.
I've this last Saturday shot my first ever wedding. All went well and thanks to Lightroom and my K-1 I have some lovely photos to present to the bride and groom.

From what I've learnt from others: Zooms, not primes will be your go-to on the day. I found my Cactus RF60 flash to be very useful, both during the ceremony and after at the reception.

Kind regards,
Mark
Thank you MarkJerling

My wedding kit I have planned to use consists of K5, Metz 52 AF-1, Sigma 10-20, Pentax 18-135, and a 50 f1.4 for some limited portraits and inside non intrusive shots. Hope it works.

David
04-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you MarkJerling

My wedding kit I have planned to use consists of K5, Metz 52 AF-1, Sigma 10-20, Pentax 18-135, and a 50 f1.4 for some limited portraits and inside non intrusive shots. Hope it works.

David
Sounds like you have it covered. Good luck!
04-03-2019, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you UncleVanya.

Thanks for the advice on the thread. I would not dream of being my daughter's photographer. The lass is a niece so I will not be central to the ceremony. Just an avid spectator - with a job to do! I have been the wedding photographer several times before and all seemed to work out just fine. Hopefully this time will be a success as well.
David
Lol. I don't know how I missed that! Yes an uncle is different. I would suggest having a backup photographer for some shots, if that's not possible, at least some spare equipment in case of failure. You could perhaps rent something or buy a cheap body and spare lens.
04-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome David.

There's a few of us here in Brisbane it seems. Good luck with the wedding shoot.
04-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Welcome!