Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-05-2019, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #1

Long Time 35mm SLR, Now DSLR

For decades I used 35mm SLRs, first a Hanimex Praktika Super TL beginning in 1969, and after I wore that out I used a Pentax K-1000 beginning in 1990. In 2002 I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-P25 for snapshot photos at work, but didn't buy a new serious camera until I bought a Pentax K-70 w/ Pentax-DA 18-270mm walking-around lens last year. Since I am just an experienced amateur photographer (and mostly retired) I did not need the additional features (or additional expense) of a more expensive body/lens combination. The K-70 has all the features that I think I could possibly need, and loads of features that I may never use. I am currently gearing up for warm-weather gravestone photography, employing a number of techniques, most of which I have not seen discussed in any of the scholarly books or scholarly journals in the field of graveyard conservation. Some of those techniques are derived from my years of 35 mm photography, such as shooting in monochrome and using colored filters for contrast, and some are techniques that I am still refining, such as the use of off-camera speedlights to enhance details of carving.

Last edited by Dale H. Cook; 04-07-2019 at 11:13 AM.
04-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Dale

A very warm welcome to this friendly forum. It is a bit of a rabbit hole if you start with digital and you can really get lost, but the I found the principles and enjoyment the same. A bit better since you can get near instant gratification
04-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum from a fellow SLR shooter starting in 1969. The K-50 should be able to produce great shots. Please show us what you cand do. Have fun with PentaxForums
04-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing the results of your kirkyard activities.

04-08-2019, 01:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
For decades I used 35mm SLRs, first a Hanimex Praktika Super TL beginning in 1969, and after I wore that out I used a Pentax K-1000 beginning in 1990. In 2002 I bought a Sony Cybershot DSC-P25 for snapshot photos at work, but didn't buy a new serious camera until I bought a Pentax K-70 w/ Pentax-DA 18-270mm walking-around lens last year. Since I am just an experienced amateur photographer (and mostly retired) I did not need the additional features (or additional expense) of a more expensive body/lens combination. The K-70 has all the features that I think I could possibly need, and loads of features that I may never use. I am currently gearing up for warm-weather gravestone photography, employing a number of techniques, most of which I have not seen discussed in any of the scholarly books or scholarly journals in the field of graveyard conservation. Some of those techniques are derived from my years of 35 mm photography, such as shooting in monochrome and using colored filters for contrast, and some are techniques that I am still refining, such as the use of off-camera speedlights to enhance details of carving.
Hi Dale
Welcome to the forum!
Kind regards,
Mark
aotearoa
(New Zealand)