Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #1

Greetings from Germany

Dear lads,

it's a pleasure to be here.

Even before I signed up, Pentaxforums has always been an indispensable source for me when researching certain lenses.
Your well-maintained database is simply amazing.

Initially my dad introduced me to photography, who worked in the foto film industry in the DDR.
Despite my dad being a Nikon advocate lately, I started with Canon gear in 2007 and later went to Full Frame with a EOS 5D Mk1, which I loved more than anything. Due to recurring money issues I had to sell my whole gear in 2011 though.

Meanwhile, I spent lots of time abroad with pathetic compact cameras at best, and still regret the missed opportunities by not having decent gear on me.

A friend of mine who's been an eager Pentaxian since analogue times introduced me to this brand though, and I often had the opportunity to borrow his K5 gear, just as he borrowed my Canon gear earlier.

Few weeks ago I decided to gear up again. With Pentax.
Since several weeks I own a K5 II, a DA 50/1.8, a Sigma 17-50 DC OS HSM 2.8 and a couple of old lenses.

Looking forward to become a integral member in the Pentax community,

Cornelius

04-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your photography the Pentax way.
04-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi 4th floor, and welcome Im only new to the Pentax forum also. I purchased my very own first Pentax SLR brand new from a chemist type shop in the city of Koblenze in the year 1985. It was a Pentax program A with a 50mm 1.7 lens . Happy days
04-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well, I'm well aware that there are currently hard times for Ricoh/Pentax, since the 2010s "DSLR hype" is completely gone, third party lens manufacturers completely lost interest in the P-K mount and everybody and his mum currently switches to E.V.I.L.s such as the Sony A7 III, but I still believe in Pentax.

What I always loved about Pentax, compared to other brands such as N/C are the following advantages:

a) the build quality of the bodies, even a dirt cheap K100D feels rock solid, compared to what Canon offers in the entry-level league audaciously today...
b) The built-in OS. 13 years after Pentax introduced it in their whole portfolio, other brands suddenly feel obliged to copy that and sell it as unique "innovation"
c) The vintage-factor of the mount, and thus, a huge selection of great, affordable (MF) lenses

d) weather sealing, now similarly promoted by other brands

04-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.
04-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #6

Welcome.

Ive spend my youth exposing and developing Orwo film rolls. Thats how I could afford photography as a student. Good stuff.

Im looking forward to you sharing how you see the world through a pentax view finder.
04-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums.
04-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #8

Welcome!

04-12-2019, 05:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 4th Floor Quote
Well, I'm well aware that there are currently hard times for Ricoh/Pentax, since the 2010s "DSLR hype" is completely gone
Welcome to the Forums: 4th Floor....The camera industry as a whole has taken a punch in the gut. In the fluid times we live in, the 2 x 4 instragram phone shot is the norm. However, RICOH has shown a resilience to continue the brand and I believe, as a smaller niche purveyor already, Pentax does not need to "ramp down" their facilities. As you are aware, the R & D of Pentax these days is slow, but steady. The K-1 Mark ii and the full frame lenses now emerging are positive signs. The angst in these parts comes from the failure of Pentax to also release the next evolution of the K-3ii's APS-c mount.

Since you are shooting a K-5 series presently (I own one also) you appreciate the quality of the Pentax APS-c cameras. There is hope on the horizon however, as RICOH officials have dedicated themselves to releasing a new "flagship" APS-c mount soon, possibly to coincide with the 100th Anniversary of ASAHI Optical Co., the founders of the Pentax SLR. In the meantime, the KP is a solid camera with many updates over the K-3 series, but adjustable and smaller. Still, the KP is not considered a true APS-c flagship by many Pentaxians.

My feeling has always been if you enjoy what you shoot, you take better pictures regardless. That's why in this fast-paced digital age, film remains a cache niche with loyal followers of the medium.

Last edited by Merv-O; 04-12-2019 at 05:48 AM. Reason: typos
04-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all for your warm welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by Snafu711:
Ive spend my youth exposing and developing Orwo film rolls. Thats how I could afford photography as a student. Good stuff.

Im looking forward to you sharing how you see the world through a pentax view finder.
Good to know! Indeed, my dad worked at ORWO Wolfen as a chemical engineer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervo-O:
The camera industry as a whole has taken a punch in the gut. In the fluid times we live in, the 2 x 4 instragram phone shot is the norm. However, RICOH has shown a resilience to continue the brand and I believe, as a smaller niche purveyor already, Pentax does not need to "ramp down" their facilities.
Thanks for replying to my post and apologies for being so negative/ironic in my introductionary thread, lol.

This is my impression as well. To be honest, I didn't follow the industry for several years, yet I'm amazed that nich brands such as Olympus have survived, still releasing new professional gear with their tiny FT sensors. And even Sigma is still alive with their Foveons.

The release of the K1 really surprised me. The issue in my opinion is: There are hardly any modern Pentax Full Frame lenses on the market, and with the loss of Sigma/Tamron who could've filled gaps not covered by Pentax it didn't get any better.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervo-O:
Since you are shooting a K-5 series presently (I own one also) you appreciate the quality of the Pentax APS-c cameras.
As a former 5D owner, I certainly know the benefits of a "full frame" sensor and am not actually bound to APS-C, and I really fancy the K1 - however, I didn't want to spend so much money in the beginning, and the K5 II is really good value.
Sorry for quoting Ken Rockwell, but you mustn't become a "measurbator", taking pictures in the first place is much more important.
04-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry for quoting Ken Rockwell, but you mustn't become a "measurbator", taking pictures in the first place is much more important.
No apology needed....Rockwell is very knowledgeable about cameras, particularly the Leica M-Series. I agree with your approach. My first Pentax was a 100D in the early 2000's (2005?) and from there, I moved slowly upward and into more advanced units. Ironically, one of my favorite cameras, the Pentax K-50 with the 16.3 mp sensor is a favorite and when a brand new K-5ii came on the market in eBay about 3 months ago, I bought it immediately. It renders so well and I like the handling of the K-5ii that I will sometimes take it with me instead of the newer models I own. It really renders images well with the less impressive lenses in the Pentax stable like the 50 f/1.8 prime ($100 from B&H new) or the 50-200mm basic zoom (kit) lens. It also produces excellent low noise ratios, even in JPEG files. Getting a new one was a great surprise for me and I enjoy it.

---------- Post added 04-12-19 at 11:10 AM ----------

The release of the K1 really surprised me. The issue in my opinion is: There are hardly any modern Pentax Full Frame lenses on the market, and with the loss of Sigma/Tamron who could've filled gaps not covered by Pentax it didn't get any better.
In reference to that, other manufacturers have picked up the slack--to wit, IRIX (3 Pentax FF's currently 150mm, 11mm, 15mm). The quality is very good. Samyang makes some nice FF glass as well. The good news is that there is still plenty of SIGMA full frame lenses. Was just on Adorama's web site and they have at least 5 lenses for Pentax FF, including Sigma 15mm, 35mm Art lens (A+), and a SIGMA 300mm. SIGMA is still widely available new and the process for this glass is reasonable (between $375 and 775 new). so I don't know where you got your information from, but SIGMA Pentax FF lenses are there. Take the excellent kit lens 28-105mm, add a 50mm 1.4 (older version with SMC motor is less than $300 now and renders well on the K-1), the 35mm redux for $330, add a couple of vintage lenses and you've got a full K-1 kit. Plus, the K-1 is crop compatible with the Da lenses you're using on the K-5ii presently. The K-1 will crop the APS-c lens to about 15mp (making it a virtual upgraded k-5ii). The results are quite good.

So I think the K-1 was not as much of a surprise to me because it is vertically integrated into the entire Pentax line.

---------- Post added 04-12-19 at 11:10 AM ----------

In reference to that, other manufacturers have picked up the slack--to wit, IRIX (3 Pentax FF's currently 150mm, 11mm, 15mm). The quality is very good. Samyang makes some nice FF glass as well. The good news is that there is still plenty of SIGMA full frame lenses. Was just on Adorama's web site and they have at least 5 lenses for Pentax FF, including Sigma 15mm, 35mm Art lens (A+), and a SIGMA 300mm. SIGMA is still widely available new and the process for this glass is reasonable (between $375 and 775 new). so I don't know where you got your information from, but SIGMA Pentax FF lenses are there. Take the excellent kit lens 28-105mm, add a 50mm 1.4 (older version with SMC motor is less than $300 now and renders well on the K-1), the 35mm redux for $330, add a couple of vintage lenses and you've got a full K-1 kit. Plus, the K-1 is crop compatible with the Da lenses you're using on the K-5ii presently. The K-1 will crop the APS-c lens to about 15mp (making it a virtual upgraded k-5ii). The results are quite good.

So I think the K-1 was not as much of a surprise to me because it is vertically integrated into the entire Pentax line.