Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2019, 04:51 AM   #1

Returning to photography!

Hello!
I am picking up the hobby again after a long break and I am looking forward to it!
I was given the gift of a K-x with 18-55 + 50-300 kit lens when it was released and I always found it a bit intimidating then and took it less and less on each of my trips.
The last trip I went on I just used my phone camera

I am hoping to get back into the hobby now and learn how to use the K-x. I even bought myself a 50mm 1.7 M off ebay which should be fun.

04-20-2019, 05:10 AM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.
04-20-2019, 05:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dont feel intimidated by your Pentax K-x camera.
It is a fantastic camera to learn with.
Because it is a digital camera, you never need to develop the film so you can make as many mistakes as you like. Learning happens with mistakes.

I started learning photgraphy from my K-x. I strongly recommend learning the photgraphy triangle as this was the biggest step in my photgraphy skills.

Google quote :-
"The exposure triangle is simply the relationship between your ISO, shutter speed and aperture. These three components work together to create an actual exposure or photograph. It is referred to as the exposure triangle because when you adjust one element, another element MUST change to capture the same exposure"

I recommend using aperture priority mode for starters and switching to shutter priority after that to learn.
Then try your hand at manual mode.

This helped me immensely. Hope this helps you.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing some of your photos in the future.
04-20-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard, Warz. The K-x is a very capable camera and the M 50mm f1.7 will help you learn and understand the basics of photography by forcing you to shoot in manual mode. That, plus it's a terrific lens. I might suggest to take some time to read a few books on photography and to watch some of the many videos on youtube. They can be specific to the K-x or more general in nature. The learning process is an up and down affair, just be persistent and take lots and lots of photos. Many of use have learned by our mistakes.

04-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That is precisely the kit that I got to transition to dSLRs. What a fantastic kit it was too! Welcome Aboard!
04-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great kit you have there! I happen to have a Kx, 18-55mm and M 50mm f/1.7 myself. I don't have a 50-300mm but you have great taste in gear! These three lenses cover a lot of possibilities. The 50mm is capable of great results, a bit of a bokeh monster on the cheap. Have fun and share your snaps here!
04-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome, that "nifty fifty" you've bought there is a wee cracker of a lens, enjoy.
04-22-2019, 02:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Warz!

Kind regards,
Mark
aotearoa
(New Zealand)

04-24-2019, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Welcome.
Thank you, looking forward to showing some of my pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
Dont feel intimidated by your Pentax K-x camera.
It is a fantastic camera to learn with.
Because it is a digital camera, you never need to develop the film so you can make as many mistakes as you like. Learning happens with mistakes.

I started learning photgraphy from my K-x. I strongly recommend learning the photgraphy triangle as this was the biggest step in my photgraphy skills.

Google quote :-
"The exposure triangle is simply the relationship between your ISO, shutter speed and aperture. These three components work together to create an actual exposure or photograph. It is referred to as the exposure triangle because when you adjust one element, another element MUST change to capture the same exposure"

I recommend using aperture priority mode for starters and switching to shutter priority after that to learn.
Then try your hand at manual mode.

This helped me immensely. Hope this helps you.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing some of your photos in the future.
That looks very helpful thank you!
I have been mostly using aperture priority mode so far and its great, although I only just realised it does not work with my M 1.7 lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Welcome aboard, Warz. The K-x is a very capable camera and the M 50mm f1.7 will help you learn and understand the basics of photography by forcing you to shoot in manual mode. That, plus it's a terrific lens. I might suggest to take some time to read a few books on photography and to watch some of the many videos on youtube. They can be specific to the K-x or more general in nature. The learning process is an up and down affair, just be persistent and take lots and lots of photos. Many of use have learned by our mistakes.
Thank you, I am going on a trip in a few days and thinking of only taking 2 lenses, is the 50mm 1.7 lens worth taking? Or should I stick with the 2 kit lens for now?

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That is precisely the kit that I got to transition to dSLRs. What a fantastic kit it was too! Welcome Aboard!
Thanks, seems like a good few lenses, it will let me know what i want in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Great kit you have there! I happen to have a Kx, 18-55mm and M 50mm f/1.7 myself. I don't have a 50-300mm but you have great taste in gear! These three lenses cover a lot of possibilities. The 50mm is capable of great results, a bit of a bokeh monster on the cheap. Have fun and share your snaps here!
Yes, the bokeh is great on that lens!
Is there a recommended aperture to use on the 50mm lens? I keep hearing that I should not shoot "wide open" as its the worst quality aperture in each lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, that "nifty fifty" you've bought there is a wee cracker of a lens, enjoy.
Thanks, I am really looking forward to using the nifty fifty!
Although I should really learn how to use the other ones first.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome to the forum Warz!

Kind regards,
Mark
:aotearoa:
(New Zealand)
Thanks
04-24-2019, 05:04 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^ I would probably leave the M 50/1.7 at home, since you have the focal length covered in the 18-55mm. However, I would definitely try to become familiar with it when you return from your trip. Shooting manual takes a little practice and experience.
04-24-2019, 05:09 AM   #11

Original Poster
^^^ I would probably leave the M 50/1.7 at home, since you have the focal length covered in the 18-55mm. However, I would definitely try to become familiar with it when you return from your trip. Shooting manual takes a little practice and experience.
Good idea!
I was mainly thinking of taking it for nightscapes and night sky photography because we are going to Tenerife but it might be too much faff learning while im on holiday.
04-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Warz Quote
Yes, the bokeh is great on that lens!
Is there a recommended aperture to use on the 50mm lens? I keep hearing that I should not shoot "wide open" as its the worst quality aperture in each lens?
Try f/2 or f/2.8 for an improvement over f/1.7. That said, the image mostly goes soft in the corners and not so much in the centre. There is no straight answer, it all depends on how much sharpness you actually need and how much bokeh you want. If you are taking a portrait even f/1.7 could be good. Experience will guide you to select apertures. To get a feel for it, take multiple shots of the same scene with different apertures.

---------- Post added 2019-04-25 at 22:17 ----------

^^^ I would probably leave the M 50/1.7 at home, since you have the focal length covered in the 18-55mm.
Yes and no. There is a big difference between a zoom with 55mm f/5.6 on the long end and a 50mm f/1.7 prime. Three and a half stops makes for lot of extra bokeh goodness. That is (a big part of) the point of having both lenses.