Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2019, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello from New Jersey!

Hello everyone,

I've been preparing myself to get back into film photography as the semester winds down and we approach the summer here. As I've been looking at equipment, this site has been a real goldmine of information so I thought it was time to stop being camera-shy (I'm sorry) and introduce myself.

I took a year of photography in high school which was taught by two great people, which is when I got my K1000 off of eBay with a Tokina RMC 35-105mm lens. Looking at prices now, I'm a bit relieved I got it when I did. In that course, I only ever shot 400 ISO B&W, and it really gave me an appreciation for monochrome photography, especially as someone growing up in the digital age. Learning to develop was an opportunity I really value, as I don't think it would be too practical to do it on my own.

Going forward, I think I'd like to continue to give some love to B&W photography, so I grabbed a few rolls of Tmax400 to shoot as I re-orient myself. I'm halfway through the first roll, and I'm anxious to see the results to verify the condition of my camera. The K1000 is in lovely shape cosmetically, and I never had any issues developing previously, but finger's crossed nonetheless.

As an avid outdoorsman, I'm particularly interested in doing landscape photography, which that Tokina lens maybe isn't ideal for, so I have an SMC 28mm/f2.8 on the way that I caught on eBay. I think I'm going to spend some time using that lens to introduce myself to color film, particularly Ektar100 looks like my first candidate. I'm also interested in getting another Pentax film camera that has aperture priority for landscape photography, so recommendations are warmly welcomed.

Also, if anyone else is in the NY/NJ area, recommendations on places for CLA service would be good to know.

Cheers,
Chris

04-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Howdy from a fellow New Jerseyan!

I don't have a recommendation for local CLA servicing, but NJ-based The Film Photography Project might.

Edit: I see they do have a list, but many of the shops are not local: https://www.flickr.com/groups/filmphotographypodcast/discuss/72157668948888217/
04-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! From Cape May to High Point, NJ has a lot of great landscapes and other subjects to capture, I look forward to seeing your pictures.
04-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.

04-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
04-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
pjv
Proudly Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia.
04-29-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Edit: I see they do have a list, but many of the shops are not local: Recommend Shops for Quality CLA / Repair | Film Photography Podcast | Flickr
This looks like a great list, thank you!

And thank you everyone for the hellos.

05-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum